Been a while

Daniel L

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
Hey guys

I have been lurking here more than anything, for life has turned super busy.

Well today's the day. After many delays and recommittments, I've finally approached the day where I show my CFI that I can solo. We'll be doing some pattern work and a failed engine drill. If I can perform my pattern work without his input, he'll step out.

Then tomorrow, I solo. I meet with him an hour earlier to go over my pre-solo test. Drilled my flows in my head. Been studying like a madman.

I am inticipating the moment he steps out of the cockpit. Today's the day, I can feel it. I can taste it.

Flying in an Alaris CH2000 out of Cameron Park O61 in Northern California. Beautiful day for it too.

Thanks. TIme to go. I'll report on it after I get home.

this is a day you will remember for the rest of your life … let us know how awesome you did

Good luck! Don’t over think it.

Speaking of a CH2000, we’ve had one on our ramp for atleast five years now, that the owner has let go to complete pot. Sad.

I prefer the "ok, you're ready, give me your logbook and go do 3 without me" method. Having that time to think about it doesn't really help IMO.
Same here.

I preferred knowing ahead of time. I never understood the hop out surprise method. But I might be the odd duck.

I preferred knowing ahead of time. I never understood the hop out surprise method. But I might be the odd duck.
I guess a good CFI needs to figure out which will work best for each student.

Eh kinda hard to tell a student ahead of time. IMO. Although I had one student show up with a tripod and video camera. I asked wtf is that shet for, knowing full well what he was gonna say. "Why I thought I might solo today", you did huh. Go up and did a few touch and wents, and said, alright, show me how to operate this crap, and don't fook up!

Last edited:
Got up there. We went over my practice exam. Did well on that. We went into the plane and he was a ghost. The day was gusty and variable winds. I wasn't really prepared for it but he understood that. My first landing was solid. The second and third landing came where I had too much energy. I came in five knots above landing speed on the second landing. Third, I aborted and went around.

After I landed, we switched to the other end so I'd have a headwind. He did an impromptu lesson on crosswind approaches. I nailed them three in a row with the nose perfectly centered on the runway. He was impressed and had me taxi off to fuel. While I was moving her around, he grabbed my logbook to endorse me. He got out and told me to do a few trips on the pattern alone.

I fly tomorrow morning for air work and pattern while he sits on a bench with his tea.

Step one complete!

Attachments

• 20180430_202618.jpg
    20180430_202618.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180430_222026.jpg
    20180430_222026.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 18
Thank you all. It's been a hell of a week. Just got to find a frame for my shirt tail.

did your CFI sign and date it? congrats again.
No i just wrote what i felt i should. Haven't found a frame yet. Lots of junk out there. He signed my logbook where it matters.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Congrats Daniel. I did my first solo in an Alaris CH2000. Darn thing felt like an F-16 without the CFI on board.

Congrats Daniel. I did my first solo in an Alaris CH2000. Darn thing felt like an F-16 without the CFI on board.
Thanks. Yeah it does for real.

..... My first landing was solid. The second and third landing came where I had too much energy. I came in five knots above landing speed on the second landing. Third, I aborted and went around.

Congrats!

Nothing like that feeling on your solo without the added weight of the instructor. Have fun and keep pushing to the ticket.

By the way, showing good decision making skills by not forcing a bad landing and instead going around. You sir, are well on your way.

I remember my first solo. I actually looked in the back of the plane to see if anyone was there....

There wasn't..

Congrats!

Nothing like that feeling on your solo without the added weight of the instructor. Have fun and keep pushing to the ticket.

By the way, showing good decision making skills by not forcing a bad landing and instead going around. You sir, are well on your way.
Thank you. I can credit my cfi for that. "Remenber there is no real prerequisite on going around. It could be as simple as a bad feeling or you just don't feel right. If so, go around. What's 5 minutes anyway?"

Of course, the external pressures aspect of the imsafe checklist comes to mind. Drilling into my head thr dangers of get-there-itis.

Back