Beechcraft Baron down in STL tonight

Mutiger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mutiger
Apparently crews located debris within the past hour. 2 dead after crashing shortly after takeoff. Current Metar is Low IFR with 3/4 vis
News Link

Last three Flightaware ADSB hits show left turning after having been pretty consistently Westbound for awhile. And a pretty hefty angle of descent. Said he declared with ATC so some recordings may show up here soon with part of the story.

I was pondering the cause...a quick descent from 8,000' leads me to think it wasn't an engine out - although I guess if he was still climbing he could have lost control and spun it in?

What about ice buildup? It was raining and maybe it was cold enough to be icy at 8,000'. What if he forgot to activate the deicing system, or it wasn't working?

RIP...

Very short flight distance; if icing, it was quick. Some icing, one engine inop ... that could make for a bad day.

Eye opener for me was quarter inch of clear ice in less than 10 minutes, going up through a layer.

20 minutes later, came back down through that layer at idle and steep descent, to avoid further buildup.

Heated pitot may have been a truly essential item for that day. Accurate speed for the approach and landing into an obstructed 2600 foot runway was vital. 300#s under gross helped too.

If he got to 8000 feet in a Baron, he was very possibly below min speed for icing.

The aircraft is registered to Kalitta Charters. I read somewhere it was a freight operation.
They bought out Airnet a few years ago. For any drag racing fans, it's owned by racer Doug Kalitta. Looking at their fleet, everything is bigger. Then go on their site they talk about flight training. Then they say they have a 150,172, and a B58 for those working on more advanced multi-engine ratings. It looks like the St. Louis to Denver trip was pretty regular. You wonder if this was training or cargo or both?

Last edited:

NTSB briefing for this accident. Surprisingly they said ice is not likely a factor since the freezing level was at 12,000 ft (aircraft was at cruise level 8000). This will be an interesting one for sure.

NTSB briefing for this accident. Surprisingly they said ice is not likely a factor since the freezing level was at 12,000 ft (aircraft was at cruise level 8000). This will be an interesting one for sure.

is this the one that gryder said for sure this was ice?

I tend to not watch his videos. Didn't know he made one for this?

not sure, I accidentally clicked on a suggested youtube vid and it happened to be one of his. not sure if it's the same incident though, but dan said "no doubt, this one is def icing"

The female co-Pilot(?) was a flight instructor at Moraine Airpark in Dayton. She gave me a check ride in a Tecnam a while ago. I think she signed on as a freight dog and left flight instructing.

Very nice lady and a good instructor.

R.I.P.

I knew the female pilot. She was an instructor at I73 and MGY airports in Dayton, OH. She also used to be a part time instructor at Sinclair Community College (where I also teach some of their aviation courses). I was shocked to learn this news.

I knew the female pilot. She was an instructor at I73 and MGY airports in Dayton, OH. She also used to be a part time instructor at Sinclair Community College (where I also teach some of their aviation courses). I was shocked to learn this news.

A reminder that those lost in aircraft accidents are real people, with goals, skills, and interests. The void left by the sudden death of those that meant so much to the survivors is vast and painful.

Back