Beech Sport landing incident today.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I was out practicing landings today and got sidesteped from 28R to 28L on my second circuit. Seems a Beech Sport (B19) must have run off the runway and then sheared off it's nose gear. The plane was cleared to land while I was turning downwind. I think it was a dual instruction flight. The plane belongs or is on leaseback to an FBO on the field (KFCM). Looking at the plane sitting with it's tail in the air between the runway and adjacent taxiway I doubt that there were any injuries, fortunately. If this was a student I wonder if the CFI is in for a 709?

I thin kthat if the CFI was onboard, he likely will be having at least a chat with the FSDO and possibly a 709 ride. If the student was solo, probably just a chat.

tonycondon said:
I thin kthat if the CFI was onboard, he likely will be having at least a chat with the FSDO and possibly a 709 ride. If the student was solo, probably just a chat.

That's about right. They call it "training" for a reason. Occasionally metal gets bent. The feds understand this fully. You can't always save them as an instructor, and as time goes on with a student it went from guiding them to just making sure we don't die. A lot of metal can bend before we die. If you don't let them into the edges of the envelope, they won't learn what's there and how to tell where it is. I never had anyone really prang one though, but I'm sure we've shortend some life spans and caused some maint bills down the road.

Back