Beech Skipper: Review

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
I started flying with a Commercial Student this morning and it was my first time in a Beech Skipper.

I'm familiar with two ends of the Beech Line -- the 1947 BE35 (V tail) and 1980 A36. Those airplanes are both honest, solid, comfortable rides with great overall performance in every category.

The student led me around on a preflight and I asked lots of questions as I referenced the POH -- like other Beech handbooks, this one was complete -- almost voluminous.

The T-tail is an obvious difference, and though the airplane looks similar to the Piper Tomahawk, there are significant differences -- primary being the spin entry and recovery techniques.

I was struck by the overall diminutive appearance of the airplane -- it's really small. Everything seems to be in miniature -- even the gas caps.

I did like the twin doors and easy entry into the surprisingly wide cockpit. The panel in this airplane is very well appointed -- a standard Beech panel with a full Garmin stack including a GX20!

We taxied down and did the run up -- a fairly simple process in this O-235 equipped machine.

Soon we were centerline and rolling -- and rolling -- and rolling -- and rolling -- this is not a Bonanza. We rotated at 57 KIAS, the stall horn blared, we sorta hopped into the sky, and very gently started climbing. We were at pattern altitude 3 miles from the runway -- ouch.

The climb to 4000 took a while, then I asked for some slow flight. The airplane is definitely a trainer, taking the required attention to the rudder to keep things all lined up. In the stall it dropped a wing (as expected), but was not too disconcerting.

We did more slow flight, then clean, power on stall. More of the same.

Steep turns, steep spirals, etc were all predictable and honest. Best glide is 63 KIAS and we descended power idle at 500' FPM. Not bad.

On the way back at full throttle we saw 90 KIAS. This airplane won't be out of the white arc until you dive.

Landings were a bit more active as the little wings lose lift quickly near the stall. Elevator and rudder authority remained predictable.

Overall the Skipper is a very honest, solid trainer that requires active pilot input. It won't fly itself, and thus is not as stable a platform as a Bonanza, but has all of the traits one would expect in a VFR trainer.

5-6 GPH burn rate helps make this a very attractive alternative.

I got my private in a skipper and it is a good little plane. IDK if this is practical for you, but if you fill up to the tabs (1/2 tanks?) instead of full it will fly better but needs fuel more fueling. It'll also fly alot different solo as it jumps (sort of) into the air.

After you get used to being passed by freeway traffic and gross weight issues it becomes a very economical trainer.

The T-tail can be a little funky on short final. But it was a fun ride.
ApacheBob

Somebody at our field is trying to sell an admittedly-beautiful Skipper for $45k. I don't think anyone has had the heart to tell him he's nuts yet.

Somebody at our field is trying to sell an admittedly-beautiful Skipper for $45k. I don't think anyone has had the heart to tell him he's nuts yet.
He might get that from some "foreign buyers."

Apparently 150s, 152s, and the like are in great demand in countries with products that need to be shipped discretely.

Last edited:
He might get that from some "foreign buyres."

Apparently 150s, 152s, and the like are in great demand in countries with products that need to be shipped discretely.
Strange choice for a drug running plane (I assume that's what you mean). Almost no useful load. Not that flying over gross would matter to the operator.

I did most of my Private in a Tomahawk, and didn't get to see a Skipper close up until much later. They're both better airplanes than most people give them credit for.

Strange choice for a drug running plane (I assume that's what you mean). Almost no useful load. Not that flying over gross would matter to the operator.

I did most of my Private in a Tomahawk, and didn't get to see a Skipper close up until much later. They're both better airplanes than most people give them credit for.

130 lb pilot, 20% overgross -- that's alot o' kilos...

Probably popular in Nigeria. "I must have a Skipper, for reasons I am loathe to share with you at the moment, as you can imagine. If you are willing, and the trustworthy person I have been led to believe you are, then please wire me funds immediately for the transshipment of your aircraft so that we may begin the formalities posthaste."

It must have one heck of a panel. :rolleyes:

It must have one heck of a panel. :rolleyes:

Here's one for $39k on ASO.

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_...up=truexxxxxsearchid=15830942xxxxxregionid=-1

If this one has an MFD, I'd also imagine that the $45k skipper has one hell of a panel.

I've always considered the skipper a valid alternative to a 150/152 if I was in a place where I could afford a 2 seat airplane. It's not going to get me there any faster, but there seems to be a lot more room in the cabin...so the trip would probably be more comfortable.

I've always said that the Skipper was like a scooter. They're a lot of fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you on one. :D You're not going to get oooohs and aaaahs when showing up at Gaston's, but you'll get there.

Back