Beech Musketeer/Sundowner

If I were a young guy wanting to log hours and work my way into an aviation job, a properly paneled Musketeer/ Sundowner could be a very good time builder choice. For this purpose who cares if it’s slow? Flight time is logged by the hour, not the mile. I would prefer spending those hours in a solid feeling, nice flying plane like this.

I know this sounds strange, but there are people who see flight training and GA as a necessary evil enroute to the airline bus-driver job, and nothing more. No romance of it, no enjoyment of travel, challenge, or walking in historical shoes. They couldn't give a rats about sightseeing or going places. They want the cheapest thing that will hang in the sky and tick over the hobbs on its way to their logbook entry.
I agree...I just met a SkyWest pilot this weekend who hasn't flown GA in 13 years. I told him I fly an RV-9, and he said, "What's that?".

I have owned a few airplanes over the years, but I have and will always keep my 1981 Sundowner. My 21 year old son got his PPL in it and is working on his IFR. I have another son who has expressed interest in doing the same.

I don't often get as attached to anything as I have to this Sundowner. I can put three planes in my hanger and one of them will always be my Sundowner.

I may have some others pass through from time to time....

I like the Sundowner. Comfy. Handles well and also quite stable.

Last edited:
Back