Beech down and a weird feeling

Richard said:
My goodness, I think I just got a dose of what happens when I try to crack a joke but don't use the appropriate emoticon. I just about gagged on that until I realized Chris was making a joke.:hairraise: Chris, it was a joke, right?

Nope. It's industrial strength double stick tape though. (just kidding).

The BRS kit comes with a mounting bracket that transfers the load to the cabin roof structure which in a Bonanza is pretty substantial (they normally don't crush if you flip upside down).

lancefisher said:
Nope. It's industrial strength double stick tape though. (just kidding).

The BRS kit comes with a mounting bracket that transfers the load to the cabin roof structure which in a Bonanza is pretty substantial (they normally don't crush if you flip upside down).
I figured there was a kit. I don't know anything about Beech products so this is an opportunity for you to educate me.

My main concern is you're worried about a hole in the headliner when I'm thinking the kit would cover 18-24" to fasten to a couple of stringers. Please chime in but meanwhile I'm gonna' go check the BRS website.

...I'm back...

Lance, remind your fingers it's BAS.

I guess they give you a template or precise measurements using some part of the airframe as a reference to poke your hole to the OEM attachment point. That's easy enough but I now understand your concern if you measure twice and it's still wrong.

Chris, BAS has a list of shops which have made the installs before. Vern Miller @ San Jose and Watsonville Aviation are on that list.

Last edited:
Yes... Me joking. :)

Thanks Richard. My CFII was also working at Vern Miller and a good family friend. I'm going to probably enlist some help from him and get it signed off by another IA.

The weirdest thing this evening. A friend calls me to check in because he saw a plane go down into a vineyard and he thought of me...I say I haven't heard anything yet... After we hung up I turned on the TV to watch for early reports. I tune into Jeopardy just in time to hear the clue, "What agency is it that investigates civil aviation accidents?" Then a 2nd call came in on my cell wanting to know if I was flying today...

Then, one of my nephews called and said he saw the plane go down too, thought the pilot was maybe making for a nearby golf course. Nothing officially yet but it looks like N299X lost power shortly after takeoff at KPRB. Both pilot and the one pax suffered moderate injuries.

Not because this happened close to home, nor because it happened at an aprt I fly out of...Because of the phone calls do I feel really weird about this. It makes it too easy to imagine would it would be like if it were me... God forbide it should be my wife getting the calls...

I pray their families receive the comfort they need right now.
This is Hannah michelberg, the passenger, david michelbergs daughter. I just wanted to clear some false facts up.
First of all, my father DIDNT suffer MODERATE injuries. they were extreme. death extreme. He suffered brain damage, back damage, and eye damage. we thought he was going to die.

this is david michelbergs daughter, hannah. i just wanted to say this. the injury was extremely terrible. i probably know most about it than most of you, to be honest

Wow, 4 years ago. What was the outcome? We realize that often the facts do not come out for a long time. What can you tell us?

Hope your dad is better, Hannah, and welcome to POA.

Interesting that the pilot made a post here, the only one he has ever made. Also interesting to see the people who posted in this thread who we don't hear from anymore. Who was POAdeleted3?

Here is the NTSB report in case anyone is curious.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050421X00490&key=1

I suspect some inaccurate reporting beyond the error in the plane's weight. I just seems unlikely that a single problem would cause the engine to fail and fill the cockpit with smoke.

Lance,

A friend had a rod bust thru the case near the number 6 cylinder on a V35B. The first thing that happened afterwards was the cabin filled with smoke so thick he could not see the instrument panel. The smoke entered the cabin thru the air/heat vent in the firewall and was from hot oil on the engine. He was able to vent the cabin smoke with the pilot side window and made a safe landing at an airport (13 NM away at the time from an altitude 5000 feet above field elevation).

I have heard of other similar reports regarding smoke in the cabin. In his case, he had early indication of a problem about a minute before the engine failed as noted by high RPM and oil pressure. I have changed my plan for immediate response to this scenario by immediately pulling the fire wall shut off at the first indication, figuring it won't hurt if I am wrong and it might prevent the cabin from filling up with smoke.

This is Hannah michelberg, the passenger, david michelbergs daughter. I just wanted to clear some false facts up.
First of all, my father DIDNT suffer MODERATE injuries. they were extreme. death extreme. He suffered brain damage, back damage, and eye damage. we thought he was going to die.

What you see here is a discussion based on the little facts that we can glean from well known unreliable sources such as the news media. Often times there is conjecture and supposition. This is a water cooler of sorts, the real story is found elsewhere and is between the concerned parties. Any facts you can bring to the table are always appreciated.

Last edited:
In case anyone wonders why aircraft engine parts are priced the way they are:

Case Name: Bonnie Burdett, as Conservator of the Estate and of the Person of David Michelberg, for the benefit of David Michelberg, and Rachel Michelberg v. Teledyne Continental Motors Inc., a foreign corporation, and Aviation Classics Ltd., a foreign corporation, No. 105 CV 044796
Verdict: (P) $14,967,413.00

A summary of the case here:

http://www.verdictsearch.com/index.jsp?do=news&rep=recent&art=165751

Let's say the verdict is in direct contradiction to the factual findings in the above referenced NTSB report. All in all, a pretty sad accident.

What you see here is a discussion based on the little facts that we can glean from well known unreliable sources such as the news media. Often times there is conjecture and supposition. This is a water cooler of sorts, the real story is found elsewhere and is between the concerned parties. Any facts you can bring to the table are always appreciated.

Well said, Scott.

In case anyone wonders why aircraft engine parts are priced the way they are:

Case Name: Bonnie Burdett, as Conservator of the Estate and of the Person of David Michelberg, for the benefit of David Michelberg, and Rachel Michelberg v. Teledyne Continental Motors Inc., a foreign corporation, and Aviation Classics Ltd., a foreign corporation, No. 105 CV 044796
Verdict: (P) $14,967,413.00

A summary of the case here:

http://www.verdictsearch.com/index.jsp?do=news&rep=recent&art=165751

Let's say the verdict is in direct contradiction to the factual findings in the above referenced NTSB report. All in all, a pretty sad accident.

First of all, Hannah, I'm very sorry for what your Dad experienced. Very tragic for all of you concerned. I'm glad he's still with you!

Regarding the case cited above:

1) The mechanic that overhauled the engine wasn't an A&P?!

2) I think they had a valid case on point #1, and while Teledyne Continental's instructions on Gasket Maker may not have explicitly excluded use at the cylinder base oil seal, it could be argued that a properly trained and certified mechanic would have known this (and would have followed the overhaul guide explicitly).

3) I found it interesting that the pilot was IMMUNE from the suit based on Workman's Compensation laws, since this was a business trip, yet was allocated 10% of the liability in the overall judgement. One of our lawyers--can you tell me how that works? Can the judge assign liability and punitive damages to parties not named in the suit??

First of all, Hannah, I'm very sorry for what your Dad experienced. Very tragic for all of you concerned. I'm glad he's still with you!

Regarding the case cited above:

1) The mechanic that overhauled the engine wasn't an A&P?!

2) I think they had a valid case on point #1, and while Teledyne Continental's instructions on Gasket Maker may not have explicitly excluded use at the cylinder base oil seal, it could be argued that a properly trained and certified mechanic would have known this (and would have followed the overhaul guide explicitly).

3) I found it interesting that the pilot was IMMUNE from the suit based on Workman's Compensation laws, since this was a business trip, yet was allocated 10% of the liability in the overall judgement. One of our lawyers--can you tell me how that works? Can the judge assign liability and punitive damages to parties not named in the suit??

Troy happy to talk to you off line but I think it would be kind of cruel to start picking apart and analyzing the case and accident infront of the pilots daughter. yes this stuff can help us understand things better but just out of a sense of compassion I'd rather chat about it off line. just pm me.

It happens to me all of the time, a plane crashes and I get a call. One time when I flew people into Big Creek area there was a crash there and 4 people were killed in a 182. I got several calls because it was on the 6:00 news and a lot of people knew about my trip that day.

It happens to me all of the time, a plane crashes and I get a call. One time when I flew people into Big Creek area there was a crash there and 4 people were killed in a 182. I got several calls because it was on the 6:00 news and a lot of people knew about my trip that day.

I don't recall this ever happening to me. I guess that either my friends who know I fly don't expect that I will crash or they don't care about me enough to be concerned. Probably the latter:).

I don't recall this ever happening to me. I guess that either my friends who know I fly don't expect that I will crash or they don't care about me enough to be concerned. Probably the latter:).
I've never had it happen to me either. However, a few years ago an aerobatic airplane crashed near here. A few days later someone I worked with said it occurred to him it might have been me since he knew I was taking aerobatic lessons at the time. Did he call? No. :)

It's happened to me a couple of times.

The last time I got about 10 calls in a 30 minute period after the local tv station broadcast that someone named "Steve" had been killed in a plane crash near the airport about 15 minutes after it happened. I am still a bit miffed at the guy that spoke to the reporter. My wife heard about the crash from our pastor who calls her to see if I'm ok. Let the LEO on the scene talk to the media.

$14 million dollars? Holy wow......

$14 million dollars? Holy wow......

From a party that according to the NTSB had nothing to do with the failure.

'Deep pockets' concept at work.

I've gotten called (or texted) a couple of different times when it was reported that a plane from my field had crashed. I was relieved that there were people out there that cared enough about me to check on me.

As for the weird feeling... The last trip coming home from Greensboro, NC I heard an emergency declared in a Duke, he lost an engine. I posted on it and Diana asked if it was at a certain time, it was. Found out later that the pilot and passenger were both killed 3 miles before getting to the destination airport. The next day I kept hearing the pilots voice in my head and the Emergency call to Memphis Center.

It doesn't look like banadancer12 (the daughter) is posting here, or sharing anything else. I'm wondering how old she was when it happened as the her age could have some bearing on what and how she remembers it. I hate she had to experience this, it doesn't matter what age she was at the time. Very traumatic indeed.

Back