Beech 36 down at Nemacolin

A door came unhinged and hit the wing...

I'm guessing one of the rear pax doors hit the horizontal stab? :dunno:

How is that even possible? Seems a lot of bos down this year.

This is one of the most terrifying things for me. I check the pins every single time I fly. I'm always afraid a door is going to hit a control surface.

Wouldn't the airflow over the door keep it pinned in the frame even if something failed? When a door came open in the 152 once I couldn't push it open more than an inch or two.

Seems like a terrible freak accident RIP to all lost.

Wouldn't the airflow over the door keep it pinned in the frame even if something failed?

Sure, if the latch failed, no problem. If the hinges go, big problem. Next time you preflight your 152, look at the pin in the hinges. ALWAYS check that pin.

Sure, if the latch failed, no problem. If the hinges go, big problem. Next time you preflight your 152, look at the pin in the hinges. ALWAYS check that pin.

I don't fly it anymore but I assume the 172 has a similar setup?

It sounded to me like the back doors blew open,and the rear one broke off. The big double doors are great for loading, but I've never heard of them blowing open in flight.

Sad day for sure . . .

A door came unhinged and hit the wing...

I'm guessing one of the rear pax doors hit the horizontal stab? :dunno:

I've heard that in the news. I'm a little surprised that investigators mentioned anything to the media at this point. I'd hold off until the at least the preliminary comes out. I suppose they could have made a radio call before the crash, or found a door somewhere, but normally the investigators aren't going to say anything until they've made an initial assessment.

Wouldn't the airflow over the door keep it pinned in the frame even if something failed? When a door came open in the 152 once I couldn't push it open more than an inch or two.

The 'utility door' consists of two panels. The bigger one has the 'D' handle on it and is hinged in the front, the smaller panel is hinged in the back and can be pulled open and tear off the plane if incorrectly latched. If one has luggage behind the rear seats, it is possible to close the rear door, swing down the lever and fail to engage the 'dogs' that hold the door closed. It is then possible to close the main door and lock it loosely into the incorrectly latched back panel. There is a 'utility door' warning light on the panel to guard against that possibility.

Last edited:
Thank You for Your thoughts and Prayer's, our family sure needs them right now! This was my Brother n Law, my niece's Boyfriend and my nephew succumbed to his injuries yesterday! God sure can test your faith sometimes! Sincerely Sidney Wakeham

Thank You for Your thoughts and Prayer's, our family sure needs them right now! This was my Brother n Law, my niece's Boyfriend and my nephew succumbed to his injuries yesterday! God sure can test your faith sometimes! Sincerely Sidney Wakeham

We are all very sorry for your loss and that of your family.

I am very sorry for your tragic loss, Sidney.

Sidney, my sympathies for your loss. Your family is in our thoughts.

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Very sorry for your loss.

Sincere condolences to you. May you and yours find peace.

Oy that is a tough one. I'm so sorry for your losses. Not much else to say but I'm very sorry and I wish your family strength.

No, the air flow is such that it is always trying to suck the doors off. That's why storm windows clear smoke so well.

This is one of the most terrifying things for me. I check the pins every single time I fly. I'm always afraid a door is going to hit a control surface.

I've never paid too much attention before but door hinges are on my personal list now.

I've never paid too much attention before but door hinges are on my personal list now.

They've always been a preflight item for me, all hinges are. The state you find some hinges in is scary. They take a lot of abuse from people not controlling them in the wind. It's not just pins either, you find the attaches pulling away, or tabs torn/cracked as well.

Last edited:

So sorry for your loss. I wish your family all the best dealing with this. May God bless you all.

Back