Bede BD-5 Microjet

There was one at Osh last year. Neat thing. They're supposed to have one hell of a coffin corner, though.

Too bad Bede used all the money collected from prop buyers, particularly the factory fully assembled BD-5D, to build the jet.

$4,400 GUARANTEED!!!

Think for a moment on how it's done in single seat fighters.

For the fighters, a lot of sim time.
For most GA single seat aircraft. A good dual flight in similar performance aircraft, a good cockpit and tech order (POH) review and kick'em out of the nest.

Do it all the time to my solo students, put them in a single seater and let them go learn. Same for new tow pilots in the Pawnee, it's only got one seat.

Think for a moment on how it's done in single seat fighters.

The only combat aircraft (not technically a fighter) that has been built in the past 50 years, that didn't have a 2 seat trainer version was the A-10 (not technically a fighter). That aircraft had a performance envelope similar to a t-37 (relatively slow, low performance, easy to fly) so a dedicated trainer was considered unnecessary.

The only combat aircraft (not technically a fighter) that has been built in the past 50 years, that didn't have a 2 seat trainer version was the A-10 (not technically a fighter). That aircraft had a performance envelope similar to a t-37 (relatively slow, low performance, easy to fly) so a dedicated trainer was considered unnecessary.

Oh, ok, so you're saying it's impossible then ? I must have imagined seeing guys flying BD-5s then ........

I remember seeing two perform at the Reno Air show back in the late 70's. Impressive.

The only combat aircraft (not technically a fighter) that has been built in the past 50 years, that didn't have a 2 seat trainer version the A-10 (not technically a fighter).
While some of these are multi-crew, none have/had/will have trainer versions or dual controls:
A-6
EA-6
F-14
F-22
F-35
F-117

Nauga
and another late night OFT session

Last edited:
You can add the A3 Skywarrior to that list.
Well, he did say built in the last 50 years. ;) Regardless, even the Whale had a sim (at least by 1988, anyway) for procedures and fam, unless you count the 'truckaplane' it's not likely there's any kind of comparable sim for the BD-5 in any version. Best bet is a lot of surrogate time, maybe by stuffing youself in the footwells of an L-39 or similar :D

Nauga,
who has played the role of Jonah

Last edited:
Everybody here is refering to the BD-5, which does not require a type rating. But the airplane in question is the BD-5J, which does require a type rating.
So I would figure that if you've flown a BD-5, and are rated to fly jets then the BD-5J should be no worries. :rolleyes2:
That said, mabe all you need to do is have time in something designed by Jim Bede, as IMHO they are all underpowered, and fast for what they are. :stirpot:

Care to explain that one?

Landing speed was close to a 100 miles an hour. Half of the first 25 or so crashed killing their pilots. The things were high performance aircraft that exceeded the demands of even the homebuilts of their day. And with those tiny wings I bet there was one hell of a bite for anyone getting too slow turning base to final.

Back