Become familiar with all available information concerning each flight

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
FAR 91.103 Preflight action.
Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight.

What information do you include in your preflight actions to meet the terms of this regulation?

What information do you want that is difficult to get?

What information do you include in your preflight actions to meet the terms of this regulation?

If flying a familiar airplane from a familiar airport:
  1. Review weather on Aviation Weather Center
  2. Plan flight on AOPA flight planner
  3. Assemble and review whatever paper charts apply
  4. Call AFSS on the way to the airport
    • Ask specifically for NOTAMS, TFRs
  5. Standard preflight, to include W&B calc and performance calculations (level of detail on calcs depend on how near the edges of known performance envelope this flight will be)
  6. If early AM departure, taxi down runway opposite takeoff direction
There are plenty of implied (and unlisted) tasks here, but this is my standard sequence.

Last edited:

- Airport information (such as runway lengths, whether or not the airport is open, any appropriate NOTAMs, especially for instrument approaches)
- Navigation information (GPS availability & VOR availability)
- Plane information (such as W&B and required runway lengths)
- Appropriate weather checks (generally aviationweather.gov)
- TFRs

From a practical perspective, this generally involves a weather check, TFR check, and check on any NOTAMs for appropriate navigation facility outages, as most of the flying I do is to familiar airports with familiar loads. I'll normally check aviationweather.gov for the weather, the A/FD and AirNav for the airport info, call the FBO if I'm going to need anything special (especially if I'm planning on leaving the plane there), and then a check on DUATs for NOTAMs/TFRs. I rarely call FSS. I do frequently call FBOs at locations that I'm not familiar with, especially at major airports. I want to make sure if I'm parking the plane there that I won't be turned away due to lack of space. Also, 100LL.com is not always accurate, so it's best to hear the fuel price from the horse's mouth. I had one case where it was advertised at $3.50 and turned out to be $5.25 when I got there. I would've landed at a different airport had I called ahead.

Generally, all this takes me about 10 minutes with familiar plane on a relatively simple route. Bit longer if I have to file /A and need VORs, and another bit longer if the plane is not one I'm familiar with. It's really not that big of a deal. Also a bit longer if the weather is more questionable, and I'm taking a close look at it to see what the conditions are. This really applies to IFR days and winter days. On a day like today (CAVU everywhere I'd possibly want to fly), the weather check would end up being very quick.

None that I've found. All this stuff is pretty straightforward. The internet is a wonderful resource for us pilots.

- Airport information (such as runway lengths, whether or not the airport is open, any appropriate NOTAMs, especially for instrument approaches)
- Navigation information (GPS availability & VOR availability)
- Plane information (such as W&B and required runway lengths)
- Appropriate weather checks (generally aviationweather.gov)
- TFRs
Not just TFR's -- all appropriate NOTAM's, including FDC NOTAM's which may change approaches, STAR's, and SID's, not to mention things like parachute jumping along the route. Important NOTAM's may not be just covering the intended departure/destination/alternate airports. And if you're using GPS for IFR, be sure to check the 90-100A RAIM availability site at http://www.raimprediction.net/ac90-100/.

Not just TFR's -- all appropriate NOTAM's, including FDC NOTAM's which may change approaches, STAR's, and SID's, not to mention things like parachute jumping along the route. Important NOTAM's may not be just covering the intended departure/destination/alternate airports. And if you're using GPS for IFR, be sure to check the 90-100A RAIM availability site at http://www.raimprediction.net/ac90-100/.

...and you must specifically request NOTAM information from AFSS -- they rarely offer unless you ask.

...and you must specifically request NOTAM information from AFSS -- they rarely offer unless you ask.
There is certain NOTAM information they are required to give in a "Standard Briefing," but not all.
AIM Section 7-1-4 said:
8. Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs).
(a) Available NOTAM (D) information pertinent to the proposed flight.
(b) NOTAM (L) information pertinent to the departure and/or local area, if available, and pertinent FDC NOTAMs within approximately 400 miles of the FSS providing the briefing. AFSS facilities will provide FDC NOTAMs for the entire route of flight.
(c) FSS briefers do not provide FDC NOTAM information for special instrument approach procedures unless specifically asked. Pilots authorized by the FAA to use special instrument approach procedures must specifically request FDC NOTAM information for these procedures.
NOTE-
NOTAM information may be combined with current conditions when the briefer believes it is logical to do so.
NOTE-
NOTAM (D) information and FDC NOTAMs which have been published in the Notices to Airmen Publication are not included in pilot briefings unless a review of this publication is specifically requested by the pilot. For complete flight information you are urged to review the printed NOTAMs in the Notices to Airmen Publication and the A/FD in addition to obtaining a briefing.
If they fail to provide the required data, the US Government is on the hook for any adverse outcome.

There is certain NOTAM information they are required to give in a "Standard Briefing," but not all.

Exactly. And some critical NOTAM data is not required:

NOTAM (D) information and FDC NOTAMs which have been published in the Notices to Airmen Publication are not included in pilot briefings unless a review of this publication is specifically requested by the pilot.

If they fail to provide the required data, the US Government is on the hook for any adverse outcome.

I'll take "concern about ending up in a smoldering heap" as a more compelling reason to ask for NOTAM information (as opposed to LockMart employee administrative sanction).

This shouldn't be difficult but some FBOs and schools make it so.

If you plan to fly for a lengthy number of hours or it extends past the end of the month, be certain inspections are current. This is the most-often overlooked item of which the PIC is on the hook for.

[*]Call AFSS on the way to the airport
  • Ask specifically for NOTAMS, TFRs

I call them too, but as a backstop to an earlier call (from home) to ensure there are no new TFRs. If they give you NOTAMS, TFRs, how do you write them down when you're driving to the airport?

I'll take "concern about ending up in a smoldering heap" as a more compelling reason to ask for NOTAM information (as opposed to LockMart employee administrative sanction).
This can be a legal issue if the FSS briefer fails to tell you about a TFR and you bust it. Feds not only lose the enforcement case but have to pay your legal costs under EAJA (wonder if they subrogate against LM for that?).

There is so much information to be found, that limiting your personal resources and keep to a standard may be necessary.

For Me:
-Local TV Weather Forecasts leading up to the day of the flight, long range outlook.
-DUATS WX Brief and NOTAM Check. Put's it in the computer that I was there.
-AOPA Online Flight Planner for NavLog, Fuel consumption and Flight Plan
AOPA Airport Data for AF/D and kneeboard data, and approach plates. I also have AF/D in the chart bag.
-AOPA TFR or TFR.gov if nothing shows in the DUATS check and a local VIP visit is suspected or known. Summer's coming, local fire TFRs also.
-Charts as required for the trip.
-IFR Approach Plates and Taxi Diagrams as needed, review, add the Taxi Diagrams to the kneeboard/clipboard.

Myself and my three attorneys, 5 interns study the entire Aeronautica Brittanica from cover to cover for the 14 days and yes, long nights leading up to the flight - reviewing and cross-referencing each and every of the ten billion regulatory and operational minutae that might affect the 17 minutes hop around the patch.

honestly, the quantity of info available and deemed required is getting to be sooo ridiculous I can easily forgive someone who has missed some facet of a preflight preparation.

I've separated the planning into 3 groups. What do you think?

Departure
Weather (Current and Departure Forecast)
Time, Wind, Visibility, Sky, Temperature, Altimeter, Remarks
Navigation
Flight plan filed, Approaches, Departures, STARs, SIDs, TPA, Taxi plan
Airport
Runway lengths & slopes, Runway condition, Elevation, Radio frequencies, Airspace, Fuel, Food, Amenities, Fees, Frequencies, Obstacles
NOTAMs
Charts
Sectional, Terminal, Airport diagram
Aircraft
Weight & balance, Fuel on board, Landing distance, Take off distance, Performance, Fuel reserves
Equipment -- Radios, GPS, Auto pilot
Maintenance due -- annual, 100 hour, oil change, VOR check
Preflight
Safety
Passenger and crew -- Illness, Medication, Stress, Alcohol, Fatigue, Eating
Pilot experience, recency, physical condition, cancellation and alternative plans, personal equipment
Enroute
Weather (Current and Forecast)
Time, Wind, Visibility, Sky, Temperature, Altimeter, Winds aloft
Navigation
VOR frequencies, identifiers, altitudes, directions
NDB frequencies, identifiers,
RAIM availability
Distances, directions, altitudes, terrain
Special Use airspace - MOAs, Restricted, Controlled
Airways
Airport
Radio frequencies, Airspace, Fuel
NOTAMs
TFRs, PIREPs, jumpers, gliders, airshows,
Aircraft
Range, Performance
Destination including alternates
Weather (Current and Arrival Forecast)
Navigation
Approaches, Departures, STARs, SIDs, TPA, noise abatement, right pattern
Airport
Runway lengths & slopes, Airport diagrams, Elevation, Radio frequencies, Airspace, Fuel availability and price, Food, Amenities, Fees, photo from the air, Taxi plan
NOTAMs
Charts
Aircraft

Weight & balance, Equipment, Maintenance due, Fuel on board, Landing distance, Take off distance

Last edited:

Look at the weather, figure my best routing and probable detours and potential airspace and terrain conflicts. Then I call a briefer and get a full briefing for those routes. With that done, I feel I have met the required burden. Now, do I always do so in practice? Ehhhhh....no, there are days when I will fly from memory, knowledge and eyesight.

Exactly. And some critical NOTAM data is not required:

[/FONT]

They used to always ask if you'd like all the NOTAMs....:nonod:

Looks very good, Peggy!
I'd add Lighting to the airport section in both departure and arrival. Especially any pilot controlled frequencies. I'd also put the approach plates in the Chart section, perhaps in addition to leaving them under Navigation. I guess one section would cover anticipating things, the other, making sure that the paper's in the cockpit with you.

It also looks as if you have a few things under the arrival section of aircraft that are really preparation for the next departure phase, such as takeoff distance and maintenance required. It certainly isn't wrong to consider them at that phase of flight, but I think that they really form the very earliest portions of the next flight.

Departure
Navigation
Airport
Runway lengths & slopes, Runway condition, Elevation, Radio frequencies, Airspace, Fuel, Food, Amenities, Fees, Frequencies, Obstacles
NOTAMs
Charts
Aircraft
Weight & balance, Fuel on board, Landing distance, Take off distance, Performance, Fuel reserves
Preflight
Safety
Pilot experience, recency, physical condition, cancellation and alternative plans, personal equipment
Enroute
Navigation
RAIM availability
Airways
Airport
NOTAMs
Aircraft
Range, Performance
Navigation
Airport
Runway lengths & slopes, Airport diagrams, Elevation, Radio frequencies, Airspace, Fuel availability and price, Food, Amenities, Fees, photo from the air, Taxi plan
NOTAMs
Charts
Aircraft

Weight & balance, Equipment, Maintenance due, Fuel on board, Landing distance, Take off distance

Wow, if I thought about all that before I took off I'd have to start a half a day ahead of time.:eek: I usually take care of weather and basic range and fuel options. Everything else can be hashed out underway since they'res little else to do. This is of course for VFR. IFR requires the full plan, but in some ways the planning is simpler.

Wow, if I thought about all that before I took off I'd have to start a half a day ahead of time.:eek: I usually take care of weather and basic range and fuel options. Everything else can be hashed out underway since they'res little else to do. This is of course for VFR. IFR requires the full plan, but in some ways the planning is simpler.
I don't think one needs to go through all that as a check list, per se. But, most have this very narrow list that falls very short of what could come back to bite them. At least Peggy's list covers the gambit those many items. Note, many of them are redundant only as far as different phases of flight. But then, a good pilot will obtain updates along the route of flight as well as the destination.

When I run through my risk management worksheet, that prompts me for pretty much all the airport and weather information as well as a self-assessment. Then I get a standard briefing from DUAT, which gives me the NOTAMs, TFRs, etc. Organizing the IFR procedures or the VFR info in the Flight Guide is another opportunity to double or triple check things.

If that list works for Peggy, mighty fine. Not everyone needs that much detail in their preflight planning checklist, but those who fly more often have it internalized and may be doing all that without thinking about it.

Looks very good, Peggy!
I'd add Lighting to the airport section in both departure and arrival. Especially any pilot controlled frequencies. I'd also put the approach plates in the Chart section, perhaps in addition to leaving them under Navigation. I guess one section would cover anticipating things, the other, making sure that the paper's in the cockpit with you.

It also looks as if you have a few things under the arrival section of aircraft that are really preparation for the next departure phase, such as takeoff distance and maintenance required. It certainly isn't wrong to consider them at that phase of flight, but I think that they really form the very earliest portions of the next flight.
Lighting - good. I didn't think of that.
Charts - I know what you mean. At this point, I'm just trying to see if everything is covered.
Departure info under arrival - What I was thinking of here is the times we have decided not to land at an airport that we were not sure we could depart from safely. After all, every arrival airport will become a departure airport.

Then your comment got me to thinking that there is so much overlap between departure and destination airports, that they belong in just one category: Terminal. Airports encountered enroute need much more limited info.

Sure, Henning, and I don't formally think of all these things, either. But they are all part of the equation. Actually, I think we did look at everything in this much detail for that first coast-to-coast flight we made before I got my certificate.

I don't do a formal weight & balance for my plane, but once I took a look at a prospective passenger and told him he wasn't going with us. (Seems cold, but there were 5 people to go in my 4 seater and he was huge.) I don't ask if passengers are on medication, but a few weeks ago when we transported a sick bulldog, I did ask.

There once was a time when my CFI told me that all this training was to make sure we know what to consider but that someday we'd just decide to "Go West" and get there just fine. Seemed crazy to this student pilot, but now...

Last edited:
I don't think one needs to go through all that as a check list, per se. But, most have this very narrow list that falls very short of what could come back to bite them. At least Peggy's list covers the gambit those many items. Note, many of them are redundant only as far as different phases of flight. But then, a good pilot will obtain updates along the route of flight as well as the destination.
The regulation is one that can come and bite us if/when we run into trouble. I'm trying to remember everything it really means to us.

I would add checking aircraft performance numbers as well.
It's kind of tucked in there.
Aircraft

However, it did occur to me today as we were wending our way home that I didn't include "Route of Flight" anywhere in the list.

:nonod:So, one of these days, in the far distant future, I'll automate all this and it will take just a few minutes to be fully compliant with FAR 91.103:frown2:

The FAA isn't stupid. They know there is a massive amount of information you should be familiar with. 91.103 is yet another "catch all" regulation designed so that they have something to nail you with provided you screw up.

As the pilot, you should know what information you need to complete a flight. This does not mean you need to research the world every time. Flying is dynamic and one needs to learn to be dynamic with it.

Yours is fine list, and there's other things that should be considered placing on it too. Even for seemingly very long checklists, if a PIC is thinking about an upcoming flight and has adequate time, some things on the list will simply be mentally highlighted as: needs further attention. Other things that are already in order need little or no further attention.

The potential problems often easily amplify when an opportunity for a quick, impromptu departure comes up and not enough mental visualization and checklisting of the flight mission takes place.

Departure
Navigation
Airport
NOTAMs
Charts
Aircraft
Preflight
Safety
Enroute
Navigation
RAIM availability
Airways
Airport
NOTAMs
Aircraft
Range, Performance
Navigation
Airport
NOTAMs
Charts
Aircraft

The FAA isn't stupid. They know there is a massive amount of information you should be familiar with. 91.103 is yet another "catch all" regulation designed so that they have something to nail you with provided you screw up.

As the pilot, you should know what information you need to complete a flight. This does not mean you need to research the world every time.

Agreed.

As Henning and Ron said, many people can think through the various phases of flight nerly subconsciously -- others need a checklist.

Neither approach is right or wrong -- all that matters is that the pilot has the data required to safely takeoff, fly, and land. After that it's all CYA work.

Short flights to frequently used airports may require something as simple as a call to the AWOS/ASOS -- the rest is in your head or in your experience bin (they haven't stretched the runway, you haven't tossed three anvils in the back of the Cessna, the ambient temperature isn't 175 degrees F, a mountain range across your route didn't sprout up overnight, etc)

Longer journeys to new destinations will require more deliberate data gathering.

I'm starting to think seriously about putting this into an application. Here is my latest update.

Terminals (Departure, Destination, Alternates)

Navigation
Flight plan filed, Approaches, Departures, STARs, SIDs, TPA, noise abatement, right pattern

Airport
Runway lengths & slopes, Runway condition, Airport diagrams, Elevation, Radio frequencies, Airspace, Lighting, Fuel availability and price, Food, Amenities, Fees, photo from the air, Taxi plan, Obstacles, Security restrictions & codes

NOTAMs
Runway conditions, facility outages, unlit obstacles

Charts

Sectional, Terminal, Airport diagram, Approach plates

Aircraft
Inspections and Maintenance -- annual, 100 hour, oil change, VOR check
Preflight

Safety

Enroute
Time, Visibility, Temperature, Winds aloft, Ceilings & cloud levels, icing levels
Area and local forecasts

Navigation
Route of flight, Distances, directions, altitudes, terrain

Probable detours, Potential airspace and terrain conflicts
Airways, Preferred routes

Airport

NOTAMs
RAIM availability

Aircraft
Range, Performance, Fuel consumption

And it's one that everyone violates every time they fly. The reg. says "all avaliable" not "all relevent".

When was the last time you checked the exchange rate for the Somilia Shilling before a flight?

I'm starting to think seriously about putting this into an application. Here is my latest update.

Terminals (Departure, Destination, Alternates)

Navigation
Flight plan filed, Approaches, Departures, STARs, SIDs, TPA, noise abatement, right pattern

Airport
Runway lengths & slopes, Runway condition, Airport diagrams, Elevation, Radio frequencies, Airspace, Lighting, Fuel availability and price, Food, Amenities, Fees, photo from the air, Taxi plan, Obstacles, Security restrictions & codes

NOTAMs
Runway conditions, facility outages, unlit obstacles

Charts

Sectional, Terminal, Airport diagram, Approach plates

Aircraft
Inspections and Maintenance -- annual, 100 hour, oil change, VOR check
Preflight

Safety

Enroute
Time, Visibility, Temperature, Winds aloft, Ceilings & cloud levels, icing levels
Area and local forecasts

Navigation
Route of flight, Distances, directions, altitudes, terrain

Probable detours, Potential airspace and terrain conflicts
Airways, Preferred routes

Airport

NOTAMs
RAIM availability

Aircraft
Range, Performance, Fuel consumption

Isn't that pretty much what all the commercial flight planner software packages do?

:nonod:So, one of these days, in the far distant future, I'll automate all this and it will take just a few minutes to be fully compliant with FAR 91.103:frown2:

Are you saying that if I choose to automate this on my biocomputer I will be in a lesser form of compliance than if I have it on my laptop?

Are you saying that if I choose to automate this on my biocomputer I will be in a lesser form of compliance than if I have it on my laptop?
Your biocomputer is slow, inefficient, and prone to error. You could be replaced with 20 lines of bash, and that, my friend is not good :D

My preflight:

Call AFSS, give them the information and then find something interesting to do for about 5 minutes while they waste my time with "Strong storm activity over the Eastern Plains of Kansas...." while listening for "Hmm, well, lets see if there's any TFRs in your direction."

Then I go out and check the weather myself using http://www.aviationweather.gov

If I'm going further than 200nm, I'll also plan the flight using http://www.flightprep.com (was free when I signed up, I think there's a charge now) and I'll print out a navlog.

If its less that 200nm, I'll look at the sectional and say "I have all of my required information."

Then I grab my worst case and best case Weight and Balance sheets and my stuff and I head out to the airport.

The rest of the stuff is useless to a VFR pilot. Either its go, or its no go, and I figure as long as I can successfully argue to an inspector that I've taken proper precautions, I'm golden.

Back