Beaver t-o, floats from towed dolley

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
posted for those who have not already seen.

Q: at what point should the pilot apply full power?

Attachments

• dolleytakeoffRB1.wmv
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
I'd say upon reaching flying speed given the good rate of acceleration from piston engines.

You feel it; as the truck accelerates you hold elevator neutral and feed throttle as you start to rock back and rock it back forward until you get about 7 kts above rotation (or she starts getting impatient) then you you pull clear and go full throttle one you have cleared whatever rails are on the trailer and your float tips no longer are vectored into the tow vehicle.

Crikey - looked like he was going to give the truck a nascar love tap.

I'd say upon reaching flying speed given the good rate of acceleration from piston engines.

I concur. No need to worry about nudging the throttle up as speed increases. You can distinctly hear the pilot in this video doing just what you suggested.

I concur. No need to worry about nudging the throttle up as speed increases. You can distinctly hear the pilot in this video doing just what you suggested.

Depends on the weight of the plane, in the J-2 on a flatbed it would start scooching aft a bit and I'd give a bit more throttle to keep it stable until I was ready to fly.

I'm thinking that depends a bit too on how hard the truck is accelerating. If the driver has the throttle wide open then the acceleration is going to be pretty decent and the pilot is not going to have to worry too much about running into the back of the vehicle before clearing it vertically.

This is a lot easier if you first place the truck on a conveyor belt.

They also used to use runway dollies back in the day where the plane goes down the runway on the dolly under its own power and the dolly runs out. The coolest way though would be to set up winch launch/dolly catapult.:yesnod:

Are you saying you've done this?

Harrison AR about 15 years ago. They were going to pull the wings off and truck it down to the lake. I said "It be a lot easier to fly it off the trailer than pull the wings." They asked "You gonna do it?" "Sure". This is not a rare thing to be done BTW, there are people who do it every year.

Last edited:
Harrison AR about 15 years ago. They were going to pull the wings off and truck it down to the lake. I said "It be a lot easier to fly it off the trailer than pull the wings." They asked "You gonna do it?" "Sure". This is not a rare thing to be done BTW, there are people who do it every year.

A while back somebody gave us a thread to http://sleepingdogtv.com ... At 5:45, in the video, a Cub on floats lands on grass. I wondered about the smarts involved there. WOuldn't it be easy to damage the floats doing that? And will that airplane be launched off a trailer or will it use the grass... Just ask'n.

By the way, is there anything you haven't done? :D

A while back somebody gave us a thread to http://sleepingdogtv.com ... At 5:45, in the video, a Cub on floats lands on grass. I wondered about the smarts involved there. WOuldn't it be easy to damage the floats doing that? And will that airplane be launched off a trailer or will it use the grass... Just ask'n.

By the way, is there anything you haven't done? :D

Floats have a pretty tough keel, if the grass is smooth and you set it down like on the water, shouldn't do damage. It's taught in the seaplane rating.

This is all pretty impressive, but I gotta ask, is the procedure in the POH for the aircraft? And if something got bent would the FAA see it as "careless or reckless"?

This is all pretty impressive, but I gotta ask, is the procedure in the POH for the aircraft? And if something got bent would the FAA see it as "careless or reckless"?

No, and no. The technique is typically covered/discussed during your seaplane training.

Except when you didn't understand the part 145 rules well enough to know the workers on the floor are repairmen or repairmen in training and do the 100 hour inspections in a CRS.

And you persist in posting bad fuel chemistry, and I thought you'd know more about engines too, being an A&P and all- http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42111&highlight=diesel

Let's not call kettles black unless you have some documented proof, 'kay?

Show me some one who knows every thing about aviation I'll show you some one that scares the hell out of me.

sure I make mistakes, but I don't claim to be an FAA employee and not know the rules. If there is any CFR that a FAA employee should know it's part 145, because that is the biggest part of their job, screwing with CRSs.

posted for those who have not already seen.

Q: at what point should the pilot apply full power?

Flying floats off a truck, dolly, or trailer is a pretty common practice. The only airport around here that I know of that can remove floats and place the aircraft on wheels or the other way around and launch directly to the run way or water is RTN. You can land floats in the lake, and they retrieve you to shore and place you on wheels and you can take off on the runway, or you can land on the runway on wheels and they can place you on floats and launch you directly to the lake. everyone else uses an alternate method, even Kenmore Air.

Show me some one who knows every thing about aviation I'll show you some one that scares the hell out of me.

sure I make mistakes, but I don't claim to be an FAA employee and not know the rules. If there is any CFR that a FAA employee should know it's part 145, because that is the biggest part of their job, screwing with CRSs.
Well, you take forever to admit those mistakes.

From what I read, you claim the person is an imposter only because he disagrees with you. It is possible the rules are open to interpretation, and it is possible you don't know the rules as well as you feel you do. The only "evidence" you've dug up on the matter is that he disagrees with you and that's hardly proof of anything. I could (but won't) make the argument that you're not an A&P because you didn't know the engine stuff in the thread I referenced. All I'm saying is that before you claim someone is an imposter, get some real proof.

From what I read, you claim the person is an imposter only because he disagrees with you. .

Nope that's not the reason.

I work with several people at FSDO, that all have scoped this board, and agree.

I trust those I know.

Nope that's not the reason.

I work with several people at FSDO, that all have scoped this board, and agree.

I trust those I know.
It's just hearsay from you dislike another person. You have nothing to back up the claim another poster is an imposter. Either put-up or shut-up.

someone, please euthanize this thread! Too bad the op of a thread has no control over its direction, I had no intention of this.

someone, please euthanize this thread! Too bad the op of a thread has no control over its direction, I had no intention of this.
Sorry about that for my part. I just get tired of some of the BS'ers sometimes.

I Either put-up or shut-up.

His record is up, check it.

or simply hide behind your monicker and attack as you often do.

But as Dave suggested this thread is over for me.

just let it die.

Back