Beauty of a Plane in TaP

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
There is a Mooney M20L with the 351 HP liquid cooled Rocket conversion listed in Trade a Plane. The asking price is considerablly less than Ovations and less than any Bravo that isn't gonna need engine work.

The M20L is the first model that used the current long Mooney airframe (as used on Bravos and Ovations) and was originally powered by the Porsche Flugmotor (flying engine roughly translated).

I gotta figure with 60 or 70 more HP than an Ovation that this must be a real screamer of an aircraft. Even going up against the turbo Bravo this aircraft would probably hold its own at altitude.

Link to advertisement in TaP (probably requires subscription)

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/specs/30422.html

The family would love the additional room in the cabin. A real shame I can't swing it today.

Len

Last edited:
Len;

Wow that is like the Ford Pinto with the 427 OHC engine in it. Yikes yes it is a "Rocket" Hang on tight as you "ease the throttle in".

It would be fun.

John

John J said:
Len;

Wow that is like the Ford Pinto with the 427 OHC engine in it.
P(atooie!)into??? Wassamatter you don't like Mooneys? How about the Shelby Cobra?

-Skip

The only time I ever got burned on any of my six aircraft, was the one bought from Mr. Shoup. Not to impune his "reputation", but just my experience.

bbchien said:
The only time...

Dr B.,

I won't buy via a broker/dealer again. I chalk it up to a learning experience...not an overly expensive one but from my observation the aircraft sold by broker/dealers are listed with premium asking prices.

What I'd like to know is how many of the M20Ls were converted in the same manner. I don't know for sure but I think I may have seen a similar aircraft for sale before.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
There is a Mooney M20L with the 351 HP liquid cooled Rocket conversion listed in Trade a Plane....

Something strange about the advertisement...I just checked the Rocket Engineering website...

http://www.rocketengineering.com/index.html

...the 305 Rocket conversion does not appear to utilize a 351HP liquid cooled engine...it uses a 305HP Continential TSIO-520-NB engine...no mention of liquid cooling that I can find.

I'd like to find out more about the STC that created the aircraft in the original advertisement.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Something strange about the advertisement...I just checked the Rocket Engineering website...

Len

Len,

I found this ad that was dated from 2003. It looks like the price is coming
down, just wait a little longer. :yes:

Sun-N-Fun bound Mooney M20K
1988/2000 350 turbocharged Mooney Rocket Ser.#5, will be available for viewing @ the annual Sun-N-Fun Lakeland, FL event: April 2-8, 2003 (a day or two, not the whole week!) I am retired from representing Rocket Eng., and am offering this fine example for sale! A/C is currently hangared #AJR, (N.E., GA) if you prefer to examine N158MP going or coming from FL. With less than 1400 hrs total, and less than 200 hrs. on New Continental Voyager Eng, New McCauley 3-BL. Full feathering prop., plus all New accessory components, and engine instruments. The critical, most important items comprising this 240KT. Aircraft have a low, less than 200 hrs, since New! Loaded, hangared, carefully flown, and reliable, it offers performance @ a price competitive to the TLS/Ovation prospect, that desires a long body Mooney! (long range too, with 105 gallons!) Price depends on Cash or trade situation, but comparable late model offerings support $225,000!

Roy E.(Rocketroy) Lowe, MAPA#12149, GA (706) 754-0701

Greg,

Wow. Good memory. I wonder if this aircraft is the only example of the mod. Though, from what I understand the M20L owner's need an engine upgrade path since Porsche dropped support for der flugmotor.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Greg,

Wow. Good memory. I wonder if this aircraft is the only example of the mod. Though, from what I understand the M20L owner's need an engine upgrade path since Porsche dropped support for der flugmotor.

Len

Len,

My memory and my eye sight are no longer what they used to be. :(
I did a google search on the N number and found that ad. The serial
number seems to indicate that it is #5 of that series but I really don't
know. I recall seeing another ad, during my google searches, that appeared
to be a different airplane with the same conversion.

greg

Back