beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Yep, they definitely go the tail right this time :)

Yes it is.

Lately I've fallen in love with the Dornier DO-28

dornier-do-28-skyservant.jpg

I think the Cirrus Jet is cartoonish.

Its got some interesting lines but I just don't buy sexy. Certainly not with the gear down.

I had a gander at it when it was on display at the Fort Worth Red bull air races. I'm a dedicated old-school fanatic and hard for me to say this -- I really liked it.

It had that forward thinking design that Apple is famous for and it looked very elegant on the inside. Of course, it has a vestigial Bonanza V tail, so that makes it retro-great too.

But - those flap track points under the wing gotta go.

Was at the factory airport this summer ,the cirrus jet is one nice airplane. Got to watch one take off and climb out.

Oh that looks like fun! What is the performance like?

That's pretty cool lookingn, I like it.

Performance is STOL performance. 150knots cruise, it's no speedster. But 40 knot stall. :yes:

I'll bet if you upgrade the engines and tweak some things maybe, you could make a 200m.p.h. twin high wing out of it.

Pretty cool.

Last edited:
They may very well have hit the mark, but we'll see. Jets don't usually do well below RVSM airspace because of higher fuel burn. On the other hand, not having to certify to RVSM makes things much easier. Anyone have an idea what the Williams would burn at those altitudes?

I may not like Cirrus in general, but I do like this.

Yea! Good colors on that one!

I just need 99 other partners so I can have a crack at flying 3 hours a year in a cirrus jet... Any takers?

Is a Private ASEL sufficent or will you need a type rating or something special to fly it? How much fuel will it burn? Are they pressurized?

Is a Private ASEL sufficent or will you need a type rating or something special to fly it? How much fuel will it burn? Are they pressurized?

You'll need type rating, private pilots have type ratings. I don't think you can get a jet type rating without an instrument rating. ;) Fuel burn is probably 50-60 GPH, but that's just a guess, and they are pressurized. :D

You'll need type rating, private pilots have type ratings. I don't think you can get a jet type rating without an instrument rating. ;) Fuel burn is probably 50-60 GPH, but that's just a guess, and they are pressurized. :D

What all is involved in getting a type rating? I assume since its single engine, there would not be any requirement for twin like most other jets. 50-60 is a heck of a lot better than those other jets burning 130+ gph.

So this thing goes about 350 knots on approx 50-60gph and is pressurized :) If they keep this bad boy under 2 mil, unless its useful load sucks, I would think this thing would fair well against the competition such as the TBM's and other single engine turbo props.

Yeah, I'll take one.. :)

What all is involved in getting a type rating? I assume since its single engine, there would not be any requirement for twin like most other jets. 50-60 is a heck of a lot better than those other jets burning 130+ gph.

So this thing goes about 350 knots on approx 50-60gph and is pressurized :) If they keep this bad boy under 2 mil, unless its useful load sucks, I would think this thing would fair well against the competition such as the TBM's and other single engine turbo props.

According to the Cirrus website, it's maximum cruise speed is 300 kts.--30 kts. slower than a TBM 900.

It actually does resemble a cartoon drawn plane, not bad, just does look that way.

Here's an article on getting a type rating and the process involved from Flying magazine.

http://www.flyingmag.com/training/turbine-flying/first-type-rating?page=0,0

If it's 300 on 50 gph for say $1.5M, I think they'll sell pretty well. I'd hope for lower fuel burn, but we'll see. That's where the lack of RVSM hurts you operationally in a jet.

I'd sure as hell like that Cirrus jet than some antique British airplane.

If its British, it's ugly; if its French, it's weird; if its Russian then it's ugly and weird.

I'd sure as hell like that Cirrus jet than some antique British airplane.

If its British, it's ugly; if its French, it's weird; if its Russian then it's ugly and weird.

Who said anything about British, French, or Russian planes in this thread? :dunno:

Does the cirrus jet have a chute standard or as an option? Probably have to be relatively slow to utilize it.

Does the cirrus jet have a chute standard or as an option? Probably have to be relatively slow to utilize it.
Yes, but not sure if it is standard or not. The slider design slows deployment, but I am sure there is some max speed limit

Oh that looks like fun! What is the performance like?

Poor for the hp/ff.

The A model (pictured) has some charm, the D model is one of the ugliest planes ever built.

I'll take the mustang it taxied by, and leave the cirrus jet to the soft shoed types :D

280 max alt...400lb useful with max fuel...around 1k NM range loaded up...

Im sure they will have buyers...not very smart ones....

Back