Beautiful flight into Western NC

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
We flew down to Columbus, Georgia late Thursday evening to visit Ft Benning where our son was to graduate Army Basic and start Infantry Training (another 5 weeks).

I kept an eye on the weather and as expected a nice stable H was going to dominate the East. When I fly Janet XC my biggest concern is bumps -- she's not happy to fly in IMC but if it's smooth she'll tolerate it. So I sweat these flights more than any other because I want to time it to minimize the bumps. Usually that means early AM launches, and that's ok since we're both early risers.

We arrived at KCSG at 6:10, but no one was there to let us in the gate. I finally found a contact number, called, and the sleepy-sounding guy said he'd call the line guy on the radio. 10 minutes later he came in. I asked him to top off and he spilled about a gallon of fuel on the wing. Since I didn't agree to pay for 14.8 when at least .8 was now on the ramp it took a few minutes for the manager to work out the fuel discount (from $4.70 to $4.25).

OK, we're loaded up, sky is clear except a thin layer about 3000 AGL, winds are light -- now neither GND or TWR will answer my request for clearance (they are supposed to open at 0700).

I filed KCSG-KAVL, and then KAVL-KFWQ on DUATS Sunday night. I called ATL App and when they said they had nothing on file I called Macon FS and filed direct to KAVL, expecting routing to be assigned anyway around KATL on a Monday morning.

Back to ATL app where I get the assigned routing (waaaaaay east to near Macon, then due north to KAVL).

Takeoff was smooth and we punch through the thin layer with no more bump than found on any Pennsylvania highway. Once on top it was smooth sailing and we had a great view of the morning sky. The flight was fairly uneventful until we could see some peaks in the distance.

The mountains of Western NC are big (many over 6000 feet). ATL App handed us off to Greer who had me descend to 6000. Soon the ground was coming up to meet us. In the distance the large valley where Asheville sits was visible surrounded by some serious real estate. I've ridden my bike up and along some of these mountains and they looked even more impressive from the air, especially since we were soon far below the peaks. I was glad my first approach to KAVL was in severe VMC.

Winds at KAVL were reported to be 340@11, but despite that we had very few light bumps. Winds were even calm when we landed. So Janet was grateful for that.

I alsways add an extra helping of grease when I land with nervous passengers, and it didn't fail this time. A full stall touchdown and short rollout ended this first leg.

Janet's sister and nephew met us at Landmark, a very nice FBO with no fuel-spillage issues.

I left after about 40 minutes on the ground and flew home over absolutely clear and perfect skies.

I landed at Morgantown so I could I could unload the airplane, had a quick lunch, then flew to Rostraver, pulled my airplane out, pushed the 205 in (not easy solo!), and cleaned it up.

I started the Chief and was airborne by 1530. It took about 40 minutes to fly to Morgantown, and by then the wind was 230@5 (right down the runway), so I had a very nice landing (it's amazing how little pavement this airplane needs when there's any sort of headwind).

When I pushed the Chief into the T-hangar it was the end of 6.3 hours aloft. I like these days when I think, "OK, I've had enough of flying today.." as they happen so infrequently.

Gary's right sounds like and awesome day of flying and a great use of GA

Gary's right sounds like and awesome day of flying and a great use of GA

It was just about perfect. :yesnod:

Yesterday, howeer, I conducted a BFR in a TU-206 and we were bouncing all over the sky (never climbed above 4,000', though). I set aside my plans to fly the Chief until today.

Back