Beautiful day for a flight over Boston

spinfire

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
I do love the clear smooth air we can get in the winter sometimes. Today was perfect. This was from ASH to PYM, Plymouth MA (and back) through the Boston Class Bravo.

IMG_4053.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

Excellent day! It's almost Feb and no ice on the Charles!
Excellent view (3rd pic) of Wollaston Beach in Quincy and Squantum Point.
Interesting history of Squantum Point and part of the old runways are still there.

Great pic of Fenway!

I learned to fly at ASH. (NEAI/DWC) we won't say what year.
Daughter lives near the water in Quincy, and telecommutes with a company in Plymouth.

Your pictures brought me home again.

5500 on the way down, 6500 on the way back (the picture taken over the nose is the first on the way back). I've had good luck getting cleared through this part of the Bravo with those altitudes, never any vectors, just direct. Next time it is this clear I'll try for lower, should be a neat view of the city.

Bill - not a hint of snow either. We've had a really mild winter (especially compared to last year!).

5500 on the way down, 6500 on the way back (the picture taken over the nose is the first on the way back). I've had good luck getting cleared through this part of the Bravo with those altitudes, never any vectors, just direct. Next time it is this clear I'll try for lower, should be a neat view of the city.

I used to ask for orbits over Pittsburgh at 3000 (1500' AGL) and was always approved. KPIT approach passes over downtown.

Retirement in 6-10 yrs, still trying to figure where to hang my hat.
Close to airport is consideration, close to daughter too.
Not to keen on MassTax, but PYM is probable, as is OWD or ASH.
Used to have a house in Merrimack NH.

Pictures like those keep bringing me home.

Edit: But I don't need the cold and snow!!

Last edited:
Those are amazing pictures, just amazing. I will be doing a x-country soon (hopefully) thru the Class Bravo airspace above KBOS. I'm really looking forward to that. Thanks for posting these.

I miss Boston. Gonna go visit this summer and show ny daughter the old schools I attended and the tree where her mom and I got married.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I miss Boston. Gonna go visit this summer and show ny daughter the old schools I attended and the tree where her mom and I got married.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
I'll meet you there and sell you some gold sparkly things. :lol: (Dragging another thread over here).

Those are amazing pictures, just amazing. I will be doing a x-country soon (hopefully) thru the Class Bravo airspace above KBOS. I'm really looking forward to that. Thanks for posting these.

My second dual XC during my Private Pilot training was Nashua to Martha's Vineyard (MVY) through the BOS Class Bravo. My CFI and I had lunch at the airport restaurant, making it my first $100 (fish and chips) too. I highly recommend it as a destination!

Back then I flew nearly the whole way back under the hood, one of my first times tracking a VOR under the hood. I was pretty good holding altitude but my drunken wandering across the sky (at one point we got "Confirm your destination is Nashua?") caused Boston Approach to deny a Bravo clearance and we went over the top at 8500. By the end of the trip I was doing much better and after a CFI-Vectors-Landing-System approach we broke out at pattern altitude right on course :)

My second dual XC during my Private Pilot training was Nashua to Martha's Vineyard (MVY) through the BOS Class Bravo. My CFI and I had lunch at the airport restaurant, making it my first $100 (fish and chips) too. I highly recommend it as a destination!

Back then I flew nearly the whole way back under the hood, one of my first times tracking a VOR under the hood. I was pretty good holding altitude but my drunken wandering across the sky (at one point we got "Confirm your destination is Nashua?") caused Boston Approach to deny a Bravo clearance and we went over the top at 8500. By the end of the trip I was doing much better and after a CFI-Vectors-Landing-System approach we broke out at pattern altitude right on course :)
Wow, under the hood in your 2nd x-country? I wonder if I'll be doing that. Thanks for sharing that story, too-- that'll make me feel better when it's my turn to do the drunken wandering/ tracking VORs-for-the-first-time dance!

Back