Beating the x-c dead horse once again

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
A friend asked about the instrument rating x-c requirements. My recollection is that a flight is considered x-c if a landing is 50 nm or more from the point of origin, but I'm damned if I can find that in the FARs. I'm looking for airplane, not helicopter.

Where is x-c for this purpose defined in the FARs?

Look in the definitions section of 14 CFR 61, IIRC.

RotaryWingBob said:
Where Chuck? I know it should be in part 61. I can't find the definition!

Ron? Help?

Not Ron, but here you go:

§ 61.1 Applicability and definitions.

(b) For the purpose of this part:
(3) Cross-country time means—
...(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under §61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

Bob, please take note that the requirement is "more than 50 nm" as opposed to 50nm or more. I know it's nit picky but would hate to see you not be able to log if you happen to fly into a field that shows exactly 50 nm.

Last edited:
Yeah, 50.0 doesn't cut it. 50.1 does.

So, where do they measure? Center of Aerodrome to center of Aerodrome? What if I land on a runwy on the far side of the other airport, as opposed to one on the near side? :D

Lat and long to lat and long, isn't it?

N2212R said:
So, where do they measure? Center of Aerodrome to center of Aerodrome?
There is no regulatory definition of the points to use. Historically, FAA Inspectors and DPE's laid a plotter on the sectional and measured from the center of the airport symbol. However, as a matter of practice, these days they use handheld GPS's or flight planning software to get the distance, and that means the "Airport Reference Point" (the lat/long in the A/FD) is used. This point is based on a centroid of the runway ends -- there's an AC which tells how it is determined.

Back