Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Can you spell, "Happy?"

"Set 'er down easy, boy."

"Can she turn on a dime?"

"Don't want to scratch the skids, eh?"

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

HR (Oh, it was at Twitchell's Airport 3B5 on March 05.)

EDIT: Photos 4 and 5 and text(s) 4 and 5 got switched

Attachments

• 007_5.JPG
    007_5.JPG
    587.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 011_1.JPG
    011_1.JPG
    666.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 008_4.JPG
    008_4.JPG
    584.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 003_9.JPG
    003_9.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 37
  • 001_11.JPG
    001_11.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Nice. R22 pilots are, of course, the salt of the earth :D

Anybody know how come there are two landing lights on an R22?

:heli:

Lawreston said:
Can you spell, "Happy?"

"Set 'er down easy, boy."

"Can she turn on a dime?"

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

HR (Oh, it was at Twitchell's Airport 3B5 on March 05.)

[/B]

So are you hooked?

RotaryWingBob said:
Nice. R22 pilots are, of course, the salt of the earth :D

:heli:

About the only reason I can think of is maybe they're set at
different angles for the aircraft attitude during approach and
then during hover?

RogerT said:
then during hover?

Is this an angle of approach?

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 002_10.JPG
    002_10.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 27
RogerT said:
So are you hooked?

:) My present "hook" is to finish PP-ASEL. With recent change of planes, Power Flow Systems addition, and purchase of a hangar, I'm in too deep to quit the quest. ................................. but the firm which owns the helicopter in this thread(and other models) has a branch office only 5nm from the airport 3B5 in this thread. ($146.00 per hour, plus Instructor, plus fuel used)

HR

RogerT said:
then during hover?
Close, but no cigar :)

Lawreston said:
:) but the firm which owns the helicopter in this thread(and other models) has a branch office only 5nm from the airport 3B5 in this thread. ($146.00 per hour, plus Instructor, plus fuel used)

HR
That's about normal. I think the school here at N99 charges $225/hr or maybe $250 wet with instructor.

RotaryWingBob said:
My guess is the same as above - approach angles, which was already marked "incorrect" ... :dunno:

gkainz said:
My guess is the same as above - approach angles, which was already marked "incorrect" ... :dunno:
That's close Greg. One light is aimed to illuminate for a normal landing, the other is aimed to illuminate the area where an auto would take you, which, as you know, is much steeper than a powered steep approach.

Harley who is doing the helicopter lessons down there? Saw one over at auburn in december.Ant of you helo guys now if an r22 can accept a student who ways a solid 240 of muscle(and some fat)? A few years ago it took some lessons in an enstrom.Got sick of 120 mile commute.Someone said early robinsons couldnt haul us above average typicl faa passengers.

supercub185 said:
Harley who is doing the helicopter lessons down there? Saw one over at auburn in december.Ant of you helo guys now if an r22 can accept a student who ways a solid 240 of muscle(and some fat)? A few years ago it took some lessons in an enstrom.Got sick of 120 mile commute.Someone said early robinsons couldnt haul us above average typicl faa passengers.

Supercub185: I did a search on the tail #. The R22 is owned by MTM Helicopters(at Sanford Airport). Looking at the MTM website I learned that MTM has a branch office at Auburn-Lewiston. The tail # search also indicated that the bird was only recently registered, and it would appear that the previous owner was in the Corn Belt section of the USA. (I'm unknowing of the instructors)

HR

EDIT: The R22 you saw at LEW may have been the one owned by Dr. Wolf, AME. Ken has one in the hangar off RW04, along with his Mitsubishi MU-2(until his Eclipse 500 gets delivered).

Last edited:
supercub185 said:
Ant of you helo guys now if an r22 can accept a student who ways a solid 240 of muscle(and some fat)? A few years ago it took some lessons in an enstrom.Got sick of 120 mile commute.Someone said early robinsons couldnt haul us above average typicl faa passengers.
Unlikely in an R22 -- the per seat weight limit is 240 and that incudes anything stowed under the seat. Both fore and aft and lateral CG evelopes probably out of whack as well (too early in the morning and too lazy to run one...).

Lawreston said:
EDIT: The R22 you saw at LEW may have been the one owned by Dr. Wolf, AME. Ken has one in the hangar off RW04, along with his Mitsubishi MU-2(until his Eclipse 500 gets delivered).
I'm in the wrong line of work or something. . . :(

Lawreston said:
I HATE scratched skids :mad:

Actually, Robinsons have replaceable hardened steel shoes on the bottom of the skids. In a minimum power takeoff, you raise collective until the helicopter gets light on the skids, then ease the cyclic forward. As the helicopter accelerates through effective translation lift, it will start ascending. In the meantime, you can hear the skids contacting the runway -- ting...ting...ting, all the while wearing down those shoes :)

RotaryWingBob said:
That's close Greg. One light is aimed to illuminate for a normal landing, the other is aimed to illuminate the area where an auto would take you, which, as you know, is much steeper than a powered steep approach.

Why would you want to see where you were gonna crash at night? me, leave it off...suprise me.

RotaryWingBob said:
I HATE scratched skids :mad:

Actually, Robinsons have replaceable hardened steel shoes on the bottom of the skids. In a minimum power takeoff, you raise collective until the helicopter gets light on the skids, then ease the cyclic forward. As the helicopter accelerates through effective translation lift, it will start ascending. In the meantime, you can hear the skids contacting the runway -- ting...ting...ting, all the while wearing down those shoes :)

I actually heard a similar, more scraping like sound while learning to pre-flight the 300CB, when a Robbie was taking off from the next hangar. I asked my CFI and just said "What do you expect? It's just a few thousand rivets flying in loose formation" He was the master of the one liner.

Cheers,

-Andrew

RotaryWingBob said:

Ah yes .. but .. with the high nose down angle in an autorotation
if one was aimed for hover that would be close.

;-)

RogerT said:
Ah yes .. but .. with the high nose down angle in an autorotation
if one was aimed for hover that would be close.

;-)
That's the reason that the DE gave me when I did my checkride. I've never done a practice auto at night, so I can't verify that, but the nose angle in an R22 during an auto is not very large (I think -- I've always paid more attention to the stuff that matters -- rpm, airspeed, and where I'm going to land...). An R22 does require some aft cyclic to stop the nose from dropping excessively.

Back