Bearing pointers on a G5 HSI with IFD 540 ?

Briar Rabbit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Any advise for good You Tube videos on how to set the two Bearing Pointers on a G5 HSI? I understand how they work once set up just need to know how to use them with the Avidyne IFD 540 and define the stations or intersections desired to point them to? #2 Nav is a King.

On my GI275s I have pointer 1 set to the GPS. It always points to the next waypoint. Just helpful when VFR and being vectored, always pointing to the airport. Other pointer is set the tuned VOR. Again, just points to (or from) the station. Used to be handy for identifying radial ID'd step down fixes on an approach. Not so much any longer as all those are easy to ID with GPS.

On my GI275s I have pointer 1 set to the GPS. It always points to the next waypoint. Just helpful when VFR and being vectored, always pointing to the airport. Other pointer is set the tuned VOR. Again, just points to (or from) the station. Used to be handy for identifying radial ID'd step down fixes on an approach. Not so much any longer as all those are easy to ID with GPS.

Hey we don’t need your kind ‘round here, with your fancy rv’s and your fancy avionics, and your fancy, uh, I’m sure you have something else that’s fancy but I just can’t put my finger on it right now…..

jk, what’s the good word David, what brings u over to the dark side?

eman, New avatar? Picture of you taken last week?

Someone posted a POA link, a solution to a problem related to something I have going on, thought it would be another resource.

Been in touch with anyone at AGL? Left messages a couple weeks back with no returned call.

eman, New avatar? Picture of you taken last week?

Someone posted a POA link, a solution to a problem related to something I have going on, thought it would be another resource.

Been in touch with anyone at AGL? Left messages a couple weeks back with no returned call.

They are literally the worst at getting/keeping in touch with their customers. I’m trying to schedule my annual with them and so far I have no date for it.

Bearing pointers are just RMIs. Work like they did with NDBs. I can't think of any specific videos using them. The three most common uses I've seen are for interim radial navigation, situational awareness backup, and raw data. Examples.

Interim radial. "Intercept the XYZ 235 radial outbound." It's not part of your loaded flight plan, which you will ultimately connect to. There are ways to do it with GPS, but it may be quicker and easier to do it old school. So leave your flight plan and pink needles alone and fly a VLOC bearing pointer.

Situational awareness backup. You are flying an RNAV approach which is a duplicate of the ILS. Load the LOC in Nav 2 and use the bearing pointer.

Raw data is probably the most common use. You fly a VOR or NDB approach with your GPS as primary. You are required to display the VOR "raw data." The bearing pointer takes care of that.

Any advise for good You Tube videos on how to set the two Bearing Pointers on a G5 HSI? I understand how they work once set up just need to know how to use them with the Avidyne IFD 540 and define the stations or intersections desired to point them to? #2 Nav is a King.
I have the IFD’s and G5 as well. When I got the new software update on the G5 the bearing pointers were there. They annoyed me so I turned them off.

I fly IFR regularly and with the IFDs have zero real world use for them.

Back