Beacons with white and red

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I was looking at replacement on my Archer and saw beacons with half white half red LEDs . What is the reasoning behind the split color option?

It causes a change and the eye catches change. I'm not too sure I like it on my beacon.

I've got the split red and white LED from Whelen. I couldn't find anything that specified circumstances where you must use red vs white vs split for the beacon. Just that the permissible colors are red and white. So I decided that white is brighter, and red is less obnoxious. Red half is facing forward, which makes the cockpit less like a discotech. White half is facing back for visibility.

I've got the split red and white LED from Whelen. I couldn't find anything that specified circumstances where you must use red vs white vs split for the beacon. Just that the permissible colors are red and white. So I decided that white is brighter, and red is less obnoxious. Red half is facing forward, which makes the cockpit less like a discotech. White half is facing back for visibility.

I would point red forward and white aft so not to project white light in my field of view at night. Also it would be a reinforcing light for my white stern light.

Ok. I was thinking that the white stays on and the red flashes, but I'm understanding the whole thing flashes?

Correct

<< Sent from my mobile device at 0agl >>

Can I install myself or do I need a 337 and AP installation? Since it's a complete assembly replacement, I would think the latter would apply.

I've had my eye on one of these, low profile and LED, win win

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/ledlighting_beacon/aveoredbaronmaxired3.php

11-08424-2013a.jpg

Some aircraft have a day (white) and night (red) setting in the cockpit. Obviously red being much better for protecting night vision.

Attachments

• Picture12.jpg
    Picture12.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 26
Never mind ....exp. only.

Much brighter than that POS it had before! And it just looks really sharp.

Does it matter? Have you ever seen a beacon before you saw the airplane in daylight?

I never have. A few months back someone linked a study showing that an anti collision light has no profound benefit during the day. Think it was an old Army study. I know at Ft Rucker they used to have orange doors on their aircraft. Safety center decided that they had no real benefit and went back to OD carc. By the time you see a white light or orange door, the shadow of the aircraft will be well within view.

Back