Beached plane

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Anybody know the story behind this picture? (I'm referring to what's in the background, guys...)

Attachments

• beachedPlane.jpg
    beachedPlane.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 123
Anybody know the story behind this picture? (I'm referring to what's in the background, guys...)

Scientists still are uncertian... Red Tides caused by algae blooms may cause the beasts to bacome sick. Others think microbial illnesses, parasites, or even pollution lead to this sort of behavior. Whatever the case, it's very rare that once disoriented and "beached" they are ever succesfully returned to their natural habitat.

looks shopped to me, but what do I know? :)

Why do you think that? Looks like a Convair freight hauler that had one feathered and barely made the beach. The Bahamas/Caribbean freight dogs going down isn't exactly a rarity. In the last year there's been a Beech 18 (remember the dude sitting in the cockpit of the disintigrated plane?) and a DC-3 that have gone in around here.

not saying the plane didn't crash somewhere, just not sure that it crashed there. Line where the plane hits the beach, shadows wrt the shadows on the pier, it just looks funny. Might be real, but it looks funny.

not saying the plane didn't crash somewhere, just not sure that it crashed there. Line where the plane hits the beach, shadows wrt the shadows on the pier, it just looks funny. Might be real, but it looks funny.

Hmmmmmm...., I'm not seeing any incongruities in light.

I doubt that was its landing line as it sits, if that's what you mean. The waves would have sloshed it around and probably settled it some fairly quickly unless there's solid like rock underneath the sand.

Maybe it's a few years old. Or if everyone lived, they not have said more than a few paragraphs about it.
True. The only page I could find was a blog where this exact picture was posted and claimed to be Miami a few days ago. Someone put a link that was broken to a Reuters story about the landing. Searching Reuters showed no story nor did I find one on Google. Given that Henning is in the suburbs of Miami and did not stumble across news on this yet I find the claim in the blog highly suspect. That does not mean I think it is a fake picture, not yet anyways, just that there is still more to be uncovered.

The picture is old. It was "debated" in another forum several months (well, a long time) ago. Someone came up with the story on it but I forgot what it was. But it was determined that the picture was legit.

The picture is old. It was "debated" in another forum several months (well, a long time) ago. Someone came up with the story on it but I forgot what it was. But it was determined that the picture was legit.

I have NO context (date, place, or otherwise) for this photo. It was in a collection of photos in an email titled "things you won't see everyday" my sis-in-law sent me.

However, based on the comment above that it might be a Convair, I found this:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20041204-0

Maybe? Or perhaps:

[EDITED: THIS IS THE RIGHT ONE, SEE ADDITIONAL MESSAGE BELOW WITH ANOTHER PICTURE FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE]

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20011206-0&lang=en

Or, even this one, which "came to rest on on the beach in the surf line" (however, looking at a Google Maps photo of the departure airport, runway 8, beach, doesn't show a pier anywhere nearby, so that's doubtful to be the correct record):

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19970630-0

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay, I'm convinced it was a real crash and I'll switch over to that camp. That is an interesting story.

I did find another similar picture on this web site (scroll way down). It shows the same orange shorts-wearing person. The web site claims that the photo is from the AP but who knows.

There are also a bunch of photos on airliners.net.

I still find it odd that people would be (or would be allowed to be) sunbathing next to an airplane wreck, so either the people in the foreground are Photoshopped in, or they're really die-hard sun worshippers. :p

I still find it odd that people would be (or would be allowed to be) sunbathing next to an airplane wreck, so either the people in the foreground are Photoshopped in, or they're really die-hard sun worshippers. :p

Especially in December!! Of course, it was south Florida, so it was probably mid to upper 80's!

I have NO context (date, place, or otherwise) for this photo. It was in a collection of photos in an email titled "things you won't see everyday" my sis-in-law sent me.

However, based on the comment above that it might be a Convair, I found this:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20041204-0

Maybe? Or perhaps:

[EDITED: THIS IS THE RIGHT ONE, SEE ADDITIONAL MESSAGE BELOW WITH ANOTHER PICTURE FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE]

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20011206-0&lang=en

Or, even this one, which "came to rest on on the beach in the surf line" (however, looking at a Google Maps photo of the departure airport, runway 8, beach, doesn't show a pier anywhere nearby, so that's doubtful to be the correct record):

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19970630-0

Not the first one as it still had its 2800 radials according to the report, the photo aircraft had turbines.

Not the second one as it ditched southbound, and if the plane was on Sunny Isles beach, the one in the photo was facing North. As well, if the plane in the pic with the report was the one they were identifying, it had polished rather than painted nacelles.

The third one, again, had R-2800s

This is So FL we're talking about, all sorts of stuff washes up on our beaches, we don't care, we share our beaches, not like them snobs up north with their "Private Beaches".

Back