Beach from RDU - Recommendations? (Night)

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
So, I'm based out of RDU, and Ocracoke is probably my favorite local destination. But it, like most of the OBX strips, is closed 30 min after sunset. I want to fly to the beach Friday afternoon, and plan to depart a little later than that. (I imagine this will become a more common issue as sunset gets earlier.)

I've done North Myrtle Beach before, which worked pretty well with a car rental. I've heard good things about Dare Co / Manteo, and just looking at a map, Morehead or Cape Fear might be options.

Any personal recommendations? Given the short trip, I'd like to avoid a car rental, but that's negotiable. Mostly looking for a place that has a good mix of a nice beach to walk on, and some decent spot for entertainment after dark (decently lively restaurants, a little town to explore that doesn't shut down at night, or a boardwalk-type situation?) Not looking to go much further than 150 miles.

And if you have any great non-beach recommendations, I'd take those too. (Yes I know about BQ1, which is awesome.)

Cape Fear (SUT) isn't a terrible walk, probably a couple of miles to the beach. Ocean Isle is nice too (60J)

You've probably worn out Wilmington via I-40, but if not, downtown riverfront(5 miles) is nice and Wrightsville Beach(10 miles), both would require cab or rental car though from ILM.

I like Morehead, nice town and a quick cab ride from the airport.

I'd
So, I'm based out of RDU, and Ocracoke is probably my favorite local destination. But it, like most of the OBX strips, is closed 30 min after sunset. I want to fly to the beach Friday afternoon, and plan to depart a little later than that. (I imagine this will become a more common issue as sunset gets earlier.)

I've done North Myrtle Beach before, which worked pretty well with a car rental. I've heard good things about Dare Co / Manteo, and just looking at a map, Morehead or Cape Fear might be options.

Any personal recommendations? Given the short trip, I'd like to avoid a car rental, but that's negotiable. Mostly looking for a place that has a good mix of a nice beach to walk on, and some decent spot for entertainment after dark (decently lively restaurants, a little town to explore that doesn't shut down at night, or a boardwalk-type situation?) Not looking to go much further than 150 miles.

And if you have any great non-beach recommendations, I'd take those too. (Yes I know about BQ1, which is awesome.)

I know what you're looking for. There aren't a ton of options like that in the Carolinas. Starting from the northernmost coastal range, you've got CPK, with a rental into VA Beach. I'm not a huge VAB fan, but it does have a beach and plenty restaurants. Dare Co. (MQI) has car rentals available (and courtesy cars for shorter jaunts) and is a short trip over to Nags Head. The village of Manteo is small and cute to check out too.

Skipping NPS daytime-only strips you get down to Beaufort NC, with a short drive to Morehead City for restaurants and Atlantic Beach for ocean. I wouldn't describe Morehead City as hopping, but there were a few decent waterfront restaurants last time I was there.

Continuing south you hit Wilmington. Same deal, rent a car. The city is decent with a riverfront downtown area and wrightsville beach isn't too far away.

Southport has a few places in town with Oak Island beaches close by. Not particularly lively though.

I've never been to Ocean Isle beach but the FBO is only 1.5 miles from the oceanfront pier. Unfortunately there's no bikepath or walkway across the bridge so you'll need a ride/cab/uber, etc.

Skipping the Myrtles, it looks like Georgetown is at the limits of your selected range. I haven't stopped there, but I believe I've smelled the paper plant flying over.

Honestly if it were me, I'd go a little farther (189nm) to Charleston and Uber into town. You've got two beach towns close by, and the walkability and dining in Charleston is superb.

Cape Fear (SUT) isn't a terrible walk, probably a couple of miles to the beach. Ocean Isle is nice too (60J)

Mike and the guys will run you to the beach if you ask. Great airport with top-notch service.

It is unfortunate that they can't design a road with pedestrians in mind.(regardless of the airport being there, seems like bad design)
upload_2016-10-19_10-51-26.png

want to walk across this?:
upload_2016-10-19_10-56-31.png
they left a few inches on both shoulders, watch out for those rear view mirrors

I've rode a bike across it many times, haven't walked it. It's not like people are flying through there anyway.

Hmm, seems like 60J has a few $100 'burgers' to choose from on foot too. Gas station Subway, looks like a pizza place, couple more local food joints and a surf/coffee shop, thats pretty good selection from what i've seen around a lot of airports(nothing).

So its a male or female airport, depending on how it feels that day.

For what it's worth, the final plan was to head out to KFFA, spend the afternoon at the beach, and then at sunset make the quick hop over to KMQI for an ice cream and dinner. Worked really well! Charleston is definitely next on my list, when I have a bit longer of an afternoon for it.

Back