Be sure to store your Airbus in a cool, dark place

Now that is nastay.!!

I am afraid to ask what this is leaking from the plane...
Or what airplane is this (with tail and wing mounted engines). Or why it appears to be at a gate in the middle of Wal*Mart. I doubt Delta Air Lines finds this funny even with the L omitted from their name.

Or what airplane is this (with tail and wing mounted engines). Or why it appears to be at a gate in the middle of Wal*Mart. I doubt Delta Air Lines finds this funny even with the L omitted from their name.

I've been trying to decide if the posted 67.17 is the price for the jet-way or for the jet. And in what currency?

That photo definitely has more questions than answers.

First MD-837 I’ve ever seen. Guess I’ve never flown out of Walmart before.

Like many replies to Internet stories and forum posts, quite a few who responded to the story couldn't understand why maintenance either screwed up the installation or didn't catch the window issues on inspection.

They apparently didn't read the part about the camera lighting causing thermal damage, which created the failures.

Like many replies to Internet stories and forum posts, quite a few who responded to the story couldn't understand why maintenance either screwed up the installation or didn't catch the window issues on inspection.

They apparently didn't read the part about the camera lighting causing thermal damage, which created the failures.

How hot do those lights get to cause that kind of damage? I mean these things are flown out of some of the hottest places on earth and are fine.

How hot do those lights get to cause that kind of damage? I mean these things are flown out of some of the hottest places on earth and are fine.
They're really high wattage and were in place for over five hours. The thermal damage compromised the gaskets and apparently damaged the windows too according to the linked article.

It’s probably fortunate that the windows were damaged enough to fail on takeoff and below 10k ft. If lesser damage, then there could have been a worse outcome later on at cruising altitude.

As I understand it, movie/tv productions use lights that are 10k lumens (iirc) and up, banks of them, in order to simulate daylight/sunlight. Think about about how hot a 60w bulb gets and that's only about 800 lumens. Another way to "look" at it, I believe the sun is the equivalent of about 127,000 lumens.

I think it’s likely thermal radiation and absorption versus direct heat (unless they were really close and/or in an enclosed space). Those lights put out LOTS of wattage and some materials don’t handle it well, especially when surrounded by materials that do. I’m surprised they haven’t switched those to LED, which radiate a lot less radiation. But I suppose the flicker frequency and some of the color capability of LED don’t meet the standards for that kind of photography.

Am I the only one who doesn’t get the pic of the weird plane with the yellow stuff on the floor?

I think it’s a spoof. Not really sure how it fits with the OP.

I didn’t read the original article until sometime after looking at that picture And didn’t realize the responses weren’t about that picture.

I just thought the picture was funny. I found that a couple weeks ago and was waiting for even the flimsiest excuse to post it.

Note that the avherald article mentioned that the lights were likely w/in 10m. So, imagine how hot it must be to require a 10m air gap to prevent damage to aircraft that "are flown out of some of the hottest places on earth and are fine"

It is likely that the flood lights were positioned closer than 10 m.

Back