Be One with the Cirrus!

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
The plane I'm renting these days is an SR20. After the checkout (about 4.5 hours) I flew my first long X-C a couple weeks ago--7 hours, total. Amazing, capable, comfortable. Passengers loved it.

I'm proud of my landings in general, in that they range from good to very good. BUT, that's probably because they're mostly in C172s and C182 in which I have about 500 hours.

In the Cirrus, by the end of that checkout, I was still getting only fair to the occasional very good. Me no like. So today, I took the girl out for an hour or so of landings.

Dunno, everything just clicked, and with the exception of one fair one, all the others were very good, including one outstanding.

One thing that helped was a couple of tips from my seasoned Cirrus CFI who suggested some very smart power settings. Ask me about those, if you like, because they're different from the Proc Guide.

Just feel really like she's an extension of me--the way I feel about the Cessnas, or perhaps the way we all feel comfortable in our personal cars.

I'm in love. Now all I need is a bag 'o cash(TM) so I can fly more! :wink2:

Last edited:
I'd love to hear about the magic power settings. I have four landings in an SR20. Three were fair to good. The other was...not so good. Dropped it in from a couple of feet.

Sorry about that! I had to teach a student.

OK, now I suppose I'll get criticized, but here it is:

Proc Manual says you want 100 kts on downwind, 90 on base, 80 on final, and 76 over the fence. (This is a little fast, of course, if you're light.) Flap settings are 50% abeam the numbers and 100% after turning base.

There are three power setting changes the Guide recommends, as you know, but we had found only one change was needed: Downwind is 50% power, and abeam the numbers, base and final are all 25%. That's it--everything else (descent profile and flaps) is as the in the Procedure Guide.

The key is to keep the airplane on the descent profile, just as you would any other airplane, of course. The desired airspeeds were there, almost to within a knot or two. I was duly impressed, and repeated it many times. It's simple and it works.

That's what I was taught. Enter the downwind at 100 kts which I found to be about 45% power. I hate the lag on Avidyne MFD so I use the analog engine gauges to make the last power change. It's right around 12 inches.

That's what I was taught. Enter the downwind at 100 kts which I found to be about 45% power. I hate the lag on Avidyne MFD so I use the analog engine gauges to make the last power change. It's right around 12 inches.

The Perspective emphasizes % power, though one also has MP "gauge" as well as RPM.

See what you get for flying the Cirrus? ;)

True. I was screaming by the Cessnas so quickly, I didn't get a chance to see much! :rockon:

But seriously, I heard tell today that my Friendly Local Flight School is getting a new C182 on line. I had checked out in nearly every airplane they had, including two early 2000s C182s . . . . which were slowly sold off.

Waited for that Saratoga. . . .

Waited for new C182s. . . .

(This is years of speculation, hopes, etc. on their part.)

Well, shoot; I couldn't wait anymore for a serious X-C aircraft, so I checked out in the Cirrus last month.

NOW I hear there is a new C182 coming on line. Still--about 15 kts slower than the Cirrus, and not as roomy, esp. in the back.

The move from the SIU to DAU made for responsive MFD gauges. In fact it was a requirement before the analog gauges could be removed.The removal of the analog gauges generated a problem since the MFD then became a required piece of equipment. Hence the update to also place engine instrumentation on the PFD.

The other problem with the particular SR20 that I fly is that the MFD gauges crap out. It's happened anywhere from taxi to being half way to my destination. That's one reason I learned the analog power settings. I've only had one flight where they worked the entire time and that was pattern work.

The CFI that checked me out said that the only thing that hasn't been replaced in the system is the actual wiring harness.

I also like Cirrus, and what I like the most about it is it's controls. Yes, flight controls is generally the most criticized parts of the Cirrus, and that's exactly what I thought the first time I flew it, but after about 5 hours of stick and rudder time, I would say it's one of the best controls for a light GA airplane (if you are willing to spend those 5 hours on simple stick and rudder work.)

While the controls are indeed very unconventional, such setup gives you very quick, yet very precise control combined with exceptional stability.

The claim that stick forces feel the same and you do not feel approaching stalls is also false. While subtle, stick force is progressive, just like with other airplanes, and with practice you can feel Cirrus controls as well as the controls of other GA airplanes. Additionally, as you approach the stall there is a very pronounced buffet.

Now, if you do stall... that's a a different story... (here we are talking about dropped wings and quick altitude loss) so do not stall it if you do not intend to do so. ;)

Last edited:
I also feel that very precise and instant control feel.

I'm curious if any of you who fly Cirrii (is that the plural?) have tried the Columbia or Cessna 400? They seem very similar in design or purpose.

The plane I'm renting these days is an SR20. After the checkout (about 4.5 hours) I flew my first long X-C a couple weeks ago--7 hours, total. Amazing, capable, comfortable. Passengers loved it.

I'm proud of my landings in general, in that they range from good to very good. BUT, that's probably because they're mostly in C172s and C182 in which I have about 500 hours.

In the Cirrus, by the end of that checkout, I was still getting only fair to the occasional very good. Me no like. So today, I took the girl out for an hour or so of landings.

Dunno, everything just clicked, and with the exception of one fair one, all the others were very good, including one outstanding.

One thing that helped was a couple of tips from my seasoned Cirrus CFI who suggested some very smart power settings. Ask me about those, if you like, because they're different from the Proc Guide.

Just feel really like she's an extension of me--the way I feel about the Cessnas, or perhaps the way we all feel comfortable in our personal cars.

I'm in love. Now all I need is a bag 'o cash(TM) so I can fly more! :wink2:

Good. Have you thought about busking in subways and other busking venues? You can make a couple hundred bucks an hour plus CD/mp3 chip sales.

I'm curious if any of you who fly Cirrii (is that the plural?) have tried the Columbia or Cessna 400? They seem very similar in design or purpose.

I haven't, but I would love to.

The SR20, which I fly, isn't really comparable to the Cessna 400 (I think now called the TTx). The SR22 is, though.

Good. Have you thought about busking in subways and other busking venues? You can make a couple hundred bucks an hour plus CD/mp3 chip sales.

Wow. Is it that high now? I used to do that when I was in school, and while it was good, it wasn't -that- good. That was 15 years ago, though!

I do also have room for more students, and that's $90 an hour.

LOL, I hate doing these mental equations where I come up with things like, I have to teach 2.3 hours for 1 hour in the Cirrus! :rofl:

Wow. Is it that high now? I used to do that when I was in school, and while it was good, it wasn't -that- good. That was 15 years ago, though!

I do also have room for more students, and that's $90 an hour.

LOL, I hate doing these mental equations where I come up with things like, I have to teach 2.3 hours for 1 hour in the Cirrus! :rofl:

It's actually not so bad as long as I'm working. The 310 has operated very economically thanks to Leigh Roberts lol.

These posts make me want to get a cirrus checkout. I have 8 hours dual and the fbo is requiring 10 hr checkout with their instructors for insurance. I am going to stop by this week and talk to them in person.

These posts make me want to get a cirrus checkout. I have 8 hours dual and the fbo is requiring 10 hr checkout with their instructors for insurance. I am going to stop by this week and talk to them in person.

You'll love it, but I must caution: have your wallet out!

I have flown the Columbia 300 but it's been awhile. I found the Columbia heavier on the controls but very stable and I felt easier to trim. It was easy to place in a steep turn, trim and hold altitude hands off. Cirrus had better visibility and ingress/egress. Both are very nice planes.

There are three power setting changes the Guide recommends, as you know, but we had found only one change was needed: Downwind is 50% power, and abeam the numbers, base and final are all 25%. That's it--everything else (descent profile and flaps) is as the in the Procedure Guide.

Just out of curiosity, what power setting were you using before?

There is a 2010 SR20 GTS here in Columbus, OH for $192 an hour. Not so bad for that airplane I suppose.

I am curious about rental prices in other locations. Have not touched this cause of the money.

David

In my area they seem to go for 220 - 250 an hour. I found one place for 180, but I have yet to check it out, it's like 2 hours of driving to get there.

Just out of curiosity, what power setting were you using before?

Basically starting from 50%, incremental reductions on each leg. But then the power kept having to be readjusted. 25% works quite well, as long as you follow the descent profile.

SR20 Avidyne $164.99
2009 SR20 Garmin Perspective $204.99
2012 SR20 Garmin Perspective $224.99
2007 SR22 Avidyne $267.99
2009 SR22 Garmin Perspective $339.99
2007 SR22 Turbo Avidyne $284.99
2010 SR22T FIKI $419.99

All have a $15.00 per hour fuel surcharge added to the above.

SR20 Avidyne $164.99
2009 SR20 Garmin Perspective $204.99
2012 SR20 Garmin Perspective $224.99
2007 SR22 Avidyne $267.99
2009 SR22 Garmin Perspective $339.99
2007 SR22 Turbo Avidyne $284.99
2010 SR22T FIKI $419.99

All have a $15.00 per hour fuel surcharge added to the above.

Kind of a pain to figure out which one is the best bang for the buck to fly.

David

Back