Be Careful in UTAH! N/A

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
THEY GROW 'EM BIG IN Tooele County UTAH

This snake was recently found at the old Wendover Military Base in Wendover Utah Tooele County.

A reminder that these creatures are actually out there and no matter
what you believe, sometimes they should get not only prescriptive
rights to be there but the full right of way!

9 feet, 1 inch - 97 lbs.

No matter what anybody else tells you, kill the snake before you try to do anything else to it!
It's the safest way for you and the snake doesn't care anymore.

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE

1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks.
Then coat them with dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 400 degree oil until brown.

Attachments

• UTAH Snake.jpg
    UTAH Snake.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 62
God I hate rattlesnakes. We have entirely too many of them here in Albuquerque. When I go hiking, just hearing the rattle makes me cringe.

I figure a small rattler can kill you just as easily as a big one... and a 9-footer would be real easy to spot on the trail. Maybe they should all be that big. :D

Growing up near woods in the NE, it was more of a concern for me and my friends to run into a copperhead or water moccasin... at least the timber rattler provides you with a warning (unless you're stupid enough to stick your hand where you shouldn't). I've seen many pit vipers, but never got bit. I know more people who were bitten by snapping turtles.
The key with poisonous snakes is to think of them beyond "I hate those things- they're scary." Understand them better, and they will pose less danger.
And if I had a farm, I'd rather see a rattler on my parcel than a rat. ;)

Actually, a small rattlesnake is far less likely to cause a lethal wound than that monster in the photo. Still, there is little reason to hate such animals, they only respond out of fear. Orders of magnitude more injuries are due to dog bites than rattlesnakes in the US.

There is NO WAY that guy is holding 97 lbs of snake at the end of a 3 foot grabber! I'd think he'd even be showing some strain with a 20 lb snake.

Still, it looks like a pretty good sized one, wherever it is.

Actually, a small rattlesnake is far less likely to cause a lethal wound than that monster in the photo. Still, there is little reason to hate such animals, they only respond out of fear. Orders of magnitude more injuries are due to dog bites than rattlesnakes in the US.

Good to know... and yes, it's really true that "they're more scared of you, etc."... vipers don't hunt humans, they attack in self-defense, and if you crawled around on the ground in camoflauge all the time so you could eat, you'd probably assume the worst, too, if something bigger than you approached you. :D

I'm not afraid of dogs, either... the critter that worries me most is Man.

actually young rattlers are more likely to cause damage ... they don't have much control over venom output. With grown rattlers there are a greater percentage of "dry bites". Which would still suck out loud, but not as badly, I guess.

I guess I will avoid Wendover in my Carson City to Chicago flight this weekend.:eek:
ApacheBob

Back