BE-55 down at Adirondak

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
=============
RAY BROOK - A Saranac Lake man was the pilot killed in a plane crash Wednesday at Adirondack Regional Airport.

Scott E. Thomas, 49, was the only occupant of the plane, police said.
The 1968 Beechcraft Baron 55 twin-engine, fixed-wing plane went down in a wooded area north of the runway shortly after takeoff from runway 5.
=============

The rest at http://tinyurl.com/36blel

Very bad news. Scott was very active in the ABS and other flying orgs. Great guy with a Colemill Baron; good pilot.

Best,

Dave

=============
RAY BROOK - A Saranac Lake man was the pilot killed in a plane crash Wednesday at Adirondack Regional Airport.

Scott E. Thomas, 49, was the only occupant of the plane, police said.
The 1968 Beechcraft Baron 55 twin-engine, fixed-wing plane went down in a wooded area north of the runway shortly after takeoff from runway 5.
=============

The rest at http://tinyurl.com/36blel

Very bad news. Scott was very active in the ABS and other flying orgs. Great guy with a Colemill Baron; good pilot.

Best,

Dave

Damn, my condolences to Scott's family and friends. I wish there was some way to find out exactly what happened but we'll probably never know the whole story. When this kind of thing happens to someone who's respected as a good pilot it's always a bit scary to me. Baring a load of gold ingots in the cabin, a Colemill Baron with one person on board ought to be able to climb on one engine with the gear down and prop windmilling faster than some singles. Hopefully the practice we had at Simcom has prepared us for success if an engine fails for real in our planes.

I hate to speculate without any factsn but given the (typically inaccurate) eyewitness reports I have to wonder if there wasn't a control lockup problem or pilot incapacitation.

Last edited:
What a shame... My grandfather told me about the accident this morning after receiving numerous e-mails from the ABS group.

I hate to speculate without any factsn but given the (typically inaccurate) eyewitness reports I have to wonder if there wasn't a control lockup problem or pilot incapacitation.

Like you, I hate to speculate at all. Great guy;good pilot; well maintained plane. A lot of these accidents I just don't identify with--if you recall at SIMCOM I said that about some really silly stuff. But, this gets my attention. Guess we'll all just wait and see what can be figured out.

Lots of folks knew Scott: pathologist I believe. On the ABS board; several other aviation related groups. Bright guy that took flying seriously. Couldn't come to SIMCOM this year for some reason.

Best,

Dave

Always sad to lose one...Be careful up there.

I bet alot of plane crashes like this one could be health related and not pilot or mechanical error. There was one in Branson a few years ago where the pilot had a heart attack on take off. This probably happens more than we know.

Back