Bd-18

Given Jim Bede's past record of delivery on promises (not to mention parts, kits and assistance) in the last 30 or so years I would not be the first in line to put down money for a "delivery slot"...

Just my personal observation.
Chris
BD-1 (AA1x) owner...

Seems like a RV-6 does everything that the BD-18 would, only the RV is better looking.
Also, wasn't the BD-18 what he titled his jet-powered homebuilt?

I think the jet was the BD-10. The BD-17 (a recent single seater) can (allegedly) be built in two weeks. Try that with an RV. It's a different niche, I guess.

Sad how someone's reputation follows him all his life.

Dealing with Jim Bede should be on a "COD" basis -- and not a penny paid until every single component is in your hands and confirmed IAW with specs/contract. He's a great designer, but has never demonstrated anything but financial incompetence at running a business and failure to deliver as promised.

John;
I'm not one to quash anyone's dreams but look at the website...not one picture of a plane that's not Computer Generated!

If it was "un-vailed" at OSH 2005 then where is the Press...where is the Pireps...where the heck is the PLANE??

Bede is indeed a Brilliant Designer. His problem is he's an OPeM* addict. He uses his customers $$$ to finish (maybe) his designs...

*Other PeOPLE's Money.

JMPO

Chris

Déjà vu all over again! Take a look at the attached Bede Aircraft correspondence from 1964. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. :rolleyes:

-- Pilawt

Attachments

• BD-1_app.jpg
    BD-1_app.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 24
  • BD-1_coverltr1.jpg
    BD-1_coverltr1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 19
  • BD-1_coverltr2.jpg
    BD-1_coverltr2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 19
  • BD-1_pricelist.jpg
    BD-1_pricelist.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 17
Hey, I'm not interested in building one, just thought it was a good, solid concept. I'm aware of his BD-5 fiasco. And the single-seat BD-17 is real - they had it at Sun-N-Fun but wouldn't let anyone sit in the cockpit without undue hassle, which turned me off of their whole company.

With so many good homebuilt designs and kits available now a builder has the luxury of weeding through the Bede's and dealing with a reputable company. Good for us.

Back