BBQ question for TX pilots

Yeti Niner Five

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Yeti Niner Five
Im looking to load up the J3 and fly a friend to Lexington to eat at Snow's. For those of you that have done it, any recommendations on logistics? Doesn't look like there's a close public airport and I'm not certain about ground transportation. Any advice would be appreciated.

There's a skydive field in Lexington, Texas Skydiving. Not sure if they would let you land there or not. The closest airport with a courtesy car is Caldwell, RWV. I'm not sure what the limits on mileage are though. It's about a 25 mile drive.

Not familiar with Lexington or Snow's, but some restaurants close to airports will send a driver. You could call ahead and ask. Even if they don't normally do that, maybe you could make a one-time arrangement...

Not familiar with Lexington or Snow's, but some restaurants close to airports will send a driver. You could call ahead and ask. Even if they don't normally do that, maybe you could make a one-time arrangement...
I don't think they would do it for a 25 mile drive!

Snow's is one of the places in Texas high up on my list to visit but so far has eluded me because there is no nearby airport with a courtesy car. One of these days I will suck it up and just rent a car and drive there. I've heard great things about Snow's. They open at 8 AM on Saturdays only and close when sold out which is usually before noon. That sums it up right there.

....it's a cub

Are you telling me you need a full on airport to put it down?

Have you done a little google earth recon?

image.jpg

Not sure you understand the cub, you're doing it wrong lol

And BBQin' isn't Grillin'

damn, that's a lot of apostrophes! Yeehaw!

I'll invite anyone to come in to K81 Paola, KS for some BBQ at We Be Smokin'. Park your plane and walk in for some incredible BBQ.

Probably not. I saw someone post that the closest field with a courtesy car was 25mi away, but that doesn't mean there's no closer field. Figured the OP would know. Just an idea.

I may call the jump field. It's close and I might be able to swing a pickup.

But I like James331 approach!

I may call the jump field. It's close and I might be able to swing a pickup.

But I like James331 approach!
I like his approach in some states... in Texas you may get shot if you land on someone's property uninvited!!

Try EYQ... Carl's BBQ! Pretty damn awesome.
That's 82 miles further... or 3 hours in a Cub! Not to mention it's inside of the Mode C Veil. He may not have a transponder. We're talking about Cub flying!

I joke of course, but my friends laughed and said they thought I'd never stop talking about how much I had to slow down to take air-to-air photos of the cub. When you fly a Cessna 140, you've got to be excited when you can outrun anything.

That's 82 miles further... or 3 hours in a Cub! Not to mention it's inside of the Mode C Veil. He may not have a transponder. We're talking about Cub flying!

I joke of course, but my friends laughed and said they thought I'd never stop talking about how much I had to slow down to take air-to-air photos of the cub. When you fly a Cessna 140, you've got to be excited when you can outrun anything.

Well I have a Cub too... So I know about Cub flying :)cub lake.png cub01.png

There's a skydive field in Lexington, Texas Skydiving. Not sure if they would let you land there or not. The closest airport with a courtesy car is Caldwell, RWV. I'm not sure what the limits on mileage are though. It's about a 25 mile drive.
I spoke to them [at Caldwell] once, and they were fine with me taking the car to Snow's. The weather didn't cooperate though, so I can't give a report. But do call or email in advance, as I recall, their hours were irregular and I did not get a hold of them the first time I tried.

You might also try Kirby's in Mexia for really good cue that's a little closer to Dallas and also more accessible by Cub than car. The restaurant is a short walk from the FBO.

Last edited:
One other potential hitch with Snow's by Cub is that it's like 160 miles from Dallas, and I hear you need to be in line by 9am.

I spoke to them once, and they were fine with me taking the car to Snow's. The weather didn't cooperate though, so I can't give a report. But do call or email in advance, as I recall, their hours were irregular and I did not get a hold of them the first time I tried.

You might also try Kirby's in Mexia for really good cue that's a little closer to Dallas and also more accessible by Cub than car. The restaurant is a short walk from the FBO.
Mexia BBQ is good. Walk or borrow the car. I brought BBQ back to the guys working on my plane...

I got passed by a Bell 407 helicopter the other day...embarrassing. :(

Nothing embarrassing about it. 133 KTAS will overtake quite a few "spam cans." Now if you got passed by a Bell 206, that would be sad.:D

Last edited:
Back