BBQ at Bentonville, AR (KVBT)

Man I wish I was out there, I'd love to attend. Nothing better than flying and bbqing!

hmmmmmm very tempting. ive got kinda a lot of stuff going on that weekend. im moving to CR on friday. may be able to use my contest money to get down there. is overnight lodging available? im a very big maybe at this point.

is overnight lodging available?

Tony,

Sure, you could stay at my hangar or I could put you up at the house.

I really don't expect anyone to make a pilgrimage for this deal, but I know some of the folks on the board don't live too far away. I thought it might be fun for them.

Tony,

Sure, you could stay at my hangar or I could put you up at the house.

I really don't expect anyone to make a pilgrimage for this deal, but I know some of the folks on the board don't live too far away. I thought it might be fun for them.

ok well Ill let you know as the week progresses. I need 5 hrs in the clubs arrow to solo it. my CFI buddy over there has family in Bentonville though so he may just come along. Leah may tag along (I havent asked her yet). Ill keep you updated.

ok well Ill let you know as the week progresses. I need 5 hrs in the clubs arrow to solo it. my CFI buddy over there has family in Bentonville though so he may just come along. Leah may tag along (I havent asked her yet). Ill keep you updated.

Cool.

If the weather stays good I will try to make it down in the cherokee!

Best,

Ugh. I would have normally tried to bribe/work something out with Tony on this but I will be at work cutting over to a new phone system.

gah all the airplanes at the club are busy that weekend. the Arrow is expensive, i was leaning towards a 150 but they are all taken, along with everything else. ill keep checking...

ok disregard, i was reading the wrong weekend. ive got a 150 reserved. as long as its VFR, or very light IFR, I will make it. Leah will be coming with.

...ooh... (stalker voice) Leah will be there...

Saving rental money for purchase... I hope!

chip - need us to bring any food? chips, salad, soda, etc.?? plenty of room in the back of the 150.

Drats, I wish I could have been there.

C. Edward Irvin is Chuck? :confused:

Isn't that the inimitable Leah?

And where *did* she get that hat?

lmfao.. Looks like someone out there may have been doing some...clothing pirating..hmm

i must say - Chip is a hell of a host!

Leah and I had a great flight down. beatiful weather greeted us. 100 knot speeds to Mexico, MO were appreciated and we were making about 90 kts from Mexico to Bentonville. switching to Razorback we hear "36PD, Razorback, check to make sure your transponder is turned on, not picking anything up" ;) Chip had been up to Grove, OK for the longest wait in the history of flight breakfasts, he beat me into Bentonville but was still on freq when I switched over to CTAF and advised me where to park.

The BBQ was damn good, the people were even better. Chip took me flying in the Bonanza for a local orientation flight. Let me sit in the left seat and pretend like I knew what I was doing and everything! I havent flown a single engine Beech since my CFI checkride so it was very fun. My landing sucked but I could tell Chip is a good CFI. He did a great job of convincing me that it wasnt that bad.

We spent a lot of time hanging out, checking out the AG-14 was really cool. what a neat airplane. I took a demo ride in a G1000 182. It was pretty cool, lotsa bells and whistles. I didnt get to do a lot of button punching but the CFI showed me some cool stuff.

Flight home was wonderful. averaged about 105 knots back to Mexico and 100 knots from Mexico to Green Castle. total trip time was 8.3 hours. Leah had a blast and flew a lot of the last leg home.

You all missed out...

switching to Razorback we hear "36PD, Razorback, check to make sure your transponder is turned on, not picking anything up" ;)

I would like to say (and I DO have a witness), the TXPR was on! Razorback always has a hard time in that sector.
angry-smiley-030.gif

Got some pictures from the trip, courtesy of Leah.
1) our shadow climbing out from Green Castle
2) Wal-Mart on final at Bentonville
3) Chip trying to teach me how to fly a Bonanza
4) A small bird of prey perched near the pump at Mexico, MO. Anyone know what it is??

Attachments

• shadow.jpg
    shadow.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 11
  • walmart.jpg
    walmart.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 11
  • flywchip.jpg
    flywchip.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 14
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 16
a few more
1) Lake of the Ozarks
2) Hills and trees in northern Arkansas
3) Fill er up in Green Castle

Attachments

• ozarks.jpg
    ozarks.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 12
  • trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 8
  • gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 16
Hey, Tony--

That's a kestrel. Looks pretty, don't it?

Glad you had a good trip! Wish I could have gone, but took a dual X/C from Bolivar (M17) to Jeff City (JEF), then Fulton (FTT) then back to M17. We averaged about 95-100kts Saturday too.

Later,

Jim

yes very pretty. it looked to be a young bird, not fully grown. very impressive beak and talons though. i was standing amazingly close to it, like 10 feet or so. leah was back a little further taking pictures

Lake of the Ozarks looks beautiful!

Only pretty from the air, Lake Ozark is pretty much a poop lagoon for house boats and cruisers. Once was the jewel of Missouri until the big boats and drunks took over. Not a place to take your family.

yea even from the air you could tell that it had gone the way of many lakes and was severely overdeveloped. we saw tons of huge huge condos and hotels.

But Stockton and Pomme de Terre Lakes are still quite beautiful! Both visible from M17's pattern, and easily accessible from Bolivar. City of Stockton has a field (http://www.airnav.com/airport/MO3). and it's not too far from 08MO Twin Oaks (whoever that is!!!;) ) (http://www.airnav.com/airport/08MO).

So drop in sometime. I'll be a fairly permanent fixture come July 1, when I retire.:yes:

Tailwinds,

Jim

you know jim, on the way down and back we flew pretty close to M17 and i was thinking "man i know there's someone from there, but i cant remember who"

happy retirement

Back