Bayfield WI

ron22

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Hammer
My wife would like to fly to Bayfield WI on Oct 4 or 5 for there Apple Fest.
This is the first time my wife wants to fly anywhere. She is still nervus about flying. Im based out of OEO so it is a little over a hour flight still in her confort zone.
I have two choice for airports Ashland KASH about 30 minute drive but list courtesy car. Madeline Island 4R5 and take ferry to Bayfield.
Ashland list a courtesy car on Airnav but what happens if someone else has it. I do not see rentals in the area.
Madeline Island is about 1 mile from town. I do not mind walking 1 mile when we first get there but really do not want to walk 1 mile back to the airport after walking around Bayfield all day.
Anyone been to Bayfield of there Apple Fest?
Any ideas on were to land?

Last edited:
We flew into Madeline Island about three years ago. It was pretty. It is a good place to relax. The restaurant near the dock has good food.
This seems like a perfect time to visit, with fall colors coming.
My friends from the US Coast Guard Auxiliary live in New Auburn, WI, which is close to Bayfield.
If you want to go fishing, Bill Feirn's cell phone number is [deleted]. They may also have some tips on Bayfield.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Edit: Sorry about the phone number. I will give it to you if you IM me. MY BAD!

Last edited:
I recommend Madeline Is. You can often catch a ride to/from town and the walk isn't difficult. I've also brought bicycles along and used them to get into town. IIRC one of the restaurants will pick you up if you're eating at their establishment, but I can't remember which one.

WRT the crew car at Ashland, some FBOs will allow reservations. Most expect you won't keep the car more than a couple hours though and it's usually a junker.

Look like from this board and the red board Madaline Island is the way to go.

My wife still does not really like the idea of walking back to the airport after walking around Bayfield all day. But it seems like the best choice so far.

Look like from this board and the red board Madaline Island is the way to go.

My wife still does not really like the idea of walking back to the airport after walking around Bayfield all day. But it seems like the best choice so far.

Make freinds on the ferry ride back with someone with a car. I think by October most of the stuff at Madaline is closed. There are bikes at the airport that I would think you could just use.

Dan

Why not try Motion-To-Go on Madeline Island. They rent bikes and mopeds and somewhere I read that they'll pick you up at the airport. In October, you would need to call ahead.

http://www.motion-to-go.com/

Why not try Motion-To-Go on Madeline Island. They rent bikes and mopeds and somewhere I read that they'll pick you up at the airport. In October, you would need to call ahead.

I have been to Madeline Island before just never flown in. We really dont want a to visit Madaline Island just a way to Bayfield.
Does sound like a fun idea to fly to Madaline Island and take mopeds to dirve around ahve have lunch. Just not this trip.

Back