Bay area lunch stops?

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Howdy gang...got the folks coming into town Monday next week and gonna take them flying on a extended Bay Tour and looking for recommendations for a good lunch stop. Gonna take off outta South County and head up over the Bay for some sightseeing then possibly towards Napa. Its Mom's B-Day and looking for something a bit nicer then the typical airport diner within short walking distance of transient parking.

Any recommendations?

If the weather supports it, the best $100 hamburger in the region is at the harbor just south of KHAF. There are multiple excellent seafood joints around it. Easy walking distance. I'm partial to Sam's Chowder House, but there are several good spots. Summer is winding down, so the overcast just may clear for you.

KSTS has a nice steak restaurant in the terminal. Sonoma Jet Center will let you park for free (near the tower) for an hour or two. KSTS has no transient parking, but that's just as good.

KSQL has Izzy's Steakhouse across the airport from the terminal. Park at helicopter transient parking to avoid the long walk. For a bonus, the Hiller Aviation Museum is two doors down, so you can check out some really weird aircraft like rotor-tip turbine engines on helicopters.

There is an OK Chinese restaurant across the golf course from KPAO (Ming's). There is much better Asian food in the region, but not near an airport (except, there is rumored to be one at the KMRY terminal, but I've never tried it).

KLVK has Beebe's at the golf course, right next to the field (northwest). I don't care for it, but some people do.

Last edited:
It is hard to beat HAF.

Yeah Princeton Seafood Company is my go to place. Problem is that KHAF is almost always fogged in during the mornings this time of year.

Petaluma has a so-so on field restaurant. Napa airport used to have Jonesey's, which was the shizz but unfortunately they closed down a couple years ago.

It is hard to beat HAF.

I am defiantly gonna try KHAF at some point...but no seafood this trip. My folks live up in Washington and spend much of their days out catching their own seafood...so restaurant seafood is out!...nothing like crab and shrimp on the dinner plate that came outta the water that morning!

Petaluma O69 has a pretty good burger joint, if you go as far as Watsonville WVI (My Home airport :) ) theres a relatively new restaurant named props that I've heard is good.

Go to HAF and hit Half Moon Bay Brewery. If you venture east, O22 Columbia has a great mexican restaurant that you take a little trail into town to. The restaurant at CVH closed, the old mexican place at WVI closed although its something else now. STS is good, O69 is ok, LVK is ok, SAC has one too but has weird hours.

If you're going all the way to SAC, there is an amazing burger place across the street from Sac City College, called Burgess Brothers. It's a couple of miles, maybe a bit far to walk.

Props is at WVI, but it's a burger place. It's OK, but you might as well just go to 99 Bottles if you live in Santa Cruz. Same management, different menu, but similar quality. Not bad, not great.

The old Nut Tree is now a big strip mall, but it has Fenton's if you're into that. The ice cream is a lot better than the food. Once again, if from Santa Cruz, Marianne's is better.

I didn't find the food at Columbia to be all that good, but the town is quite interesting. It's a well preserved gold rush town in the Mother Lode. If you're going that far afield, perhaps Harris Ranch (3o8) might make more sense. Rumored to be the best steaks in California, with an airstrip right alongside. But it's halfway to LA. Like a lot of Californians, I've driven by there hundreds of times with the windows rolled up, but never stopped.

There are a few decent restaurants in Booneville. It's about a mile walk to town.

Last edited:
Petaluma O69 has a pretty good burger joint, if you go as far as Watsonville WVI (My Home airport :) ) theres a relatively new restaurant named props that I've heard is good.

KWVI is home base for me as well...and Props is pretty good food...just ate there last week!

Harris Ranch is a pretty good steakhouse...been there a few times when traveling through on 4 wheels (although my speeds may have been considered "flying)...will be flying into there sometime soon as well!

Last edited:
I like Props a lot, and I found the restaurant at STS outstanding.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the restaurant in the hotel at Concord. I haven't eaten there recently, but I remember it being good. There's a ramp right next to the hotel.

Heck, I didn't think the restaurant in the terminal there at HAF was half bad either.

It isn't, but with the stuff just a short and fun walk outside of the airport, it is easy to forget.

Back