Battlefield 4

It doesn't hurt that I've got a crew that's mostly maxed out. My auto gunners turn would-be attackers into mince meat. Another strange plane I really like is the T3 British medium bomber - the Blenheim I think. Nothing it's tier can catch it and it has powerful defensive weapons. It's a fun plane too.

I hated the Beaufort because even with faster single engine fighters there was no way to catch the bastards when I started! The A-20 is surprisingly the same way, just boom and zoom with bombs all day. I don't fly too much American even though I have P-47 / Corsair / Airacobra etc.

I have a fully maxed gunner German Yellow-Bellied-Wellington which is great for money making that similarly swats planes out of the air. And for some reason when I had started out new, the Japanese H8K maxed as well. It was like a bug zapper with wings, anyone who got close got wrecked at those low tiers. Now of course I have the Zeroes and that drags me into tiers with 37mm cannons that pop wings off... I get the feeling there should be a war thunder thread somewhere too so we're not totally derailing your thread about BF4 talking about planes...

Last edited:
It's surreal to read this thread full of WWII aircraft used in a game while reading a three book historical series on WWII. You know, the real one.

Last night was the story of a British armored car driver who's entire crew was killed by a Panzer 88mm shell and who was found sitting in the driver's seat with both feet sheared off by another. In typical British understated fashion, he thanked his rescuers and complained, "If I only had one foot I could have driven back myself."

He died from hours of blood loss and shock an hour later, and is buried in a small town a few miles outside of Tunis.

The descriptions of what it was like to have 88mm shells rip by at chest height (sometimes disintegrating a poor squishy human who got in the way) as it headed for a woefully unprepared American tank force who had already nicknamed their tanks "Ronsons" after the lighter and lighter fluid company for their flammability, sounds downright disheartening and freaky. Modern artillery and the forces involved when a shell that big hits something, are frighteningly impressive.

One U.S. Tanker who's tank took a near-miss from an 88mm down the side if the turret described how he watched as a trench the size of half of an 88mm shell pushed into the side of his tank and made the armor plating glow instantaneously white hot and then drop to a hot red glow that warmed that whole side of his body as it cooled. And technically the German Tiger missed. Six more inches to the center and it would have been inside with whatever was left of him.

These weren't high-explosive rounds either. Just a really large piece of metal flung at really high speeds.

Infantrymen said the low whump and crack of the air they made going by at chest height could leave you breathless if they were close enough. Good lord.

Other interesting and lighter things... I never knew the Allies dug out tons of tunnels to use as military headquarters inside the Rock of Gibraltar, nor that Eisenhower had a strange infection that caused him to have a bunch of extra mucus for a year and a half after he left the wet cold tunnels and moved his command post into Algiers after the Allies landed (very badly) in North Africa.

Also never knew Ike wanted a Staff of no more than 150 at his Algiers HQ which he couldn't control and grew to 400, and them to well over 2000 officers inhabiting virtually every building in Algiers as the War went on. No Army can function without paperwork and piles and piles of it.

They don't ever seem to put "rubber stamp desk pounder" missions in the video games. Heh. ;)

Hmm, have never played one of these 'war games' on the computer. Zero interest.

I find ON TOP with the weather and winds and equipment failure turned way up to be more than enough.
My grandson, Cole, who is a fanatic gamer always laughed at me because of my total lack of knowledge of the latest computer game. A couple of years back we were doing a family lunch at the Cleveland Flats and Cole came running 'gramps, they've got a flying machine in the arcade. Come on."
So, he drags me to this arcade machine that was a dog fight game and actually had a stick and throttle with a gun switch on the stick.
'See if you can beat my score.' he says
So, I dumped a buck in the machine and away we went. Long story short, after the bells and lights quit flashing and clanging, player name of N3057P had the third highest score ever recorded on the machine.
Cole was uncharacteristically quiet on the ride home.

'See if you can beat my score.' he says
So, I dumped a buck in the machine and away we went. Long story short, after the bells and lights quit flashing and clanging, player name of N3057P had the third highest score ever recorded on the machine.
Cole was uncharacteristically quiet on the ride home.

Heh.

I've always wanted a "Celebrate Ability" bumper sticker to mock the "Celebrate Diversity" ones. :)

Back