Battery Replacement

Aeric

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aeric
FAR Appendix A (c) (24) allows for "Replacing and servicing batteries". Just to be absolutely sure, as the owner and as a Private pilot, am I allowed to replace the main (starting) battery in my 150? Probably a dumb question, but regulations are strict.

FAR Appendix A (c) (24) allows for "Replacing and servicing batteries". Just to be absolutely sure, as the owner and as a Private pilot, am I allowed to replace the main (starting) battery in my 150? Probably a dumb question, but regulations are strict.

You are correct. Just make a log book entry when you are done.

Only when the battery is replaced with a like item.

Only when the battery is replaced with a like item.
Meaning another aircraft battery approved for that aircraft, as opposed to a battery not approved for that aircraft. It doesn't have to be the identical make/model battery as the battery removed.

Don't ask.
Don't tell.
That works to some extent, but when the maintenance records don't match the airplane, it makes the annual inspection that much more difficult and expensive, and when you try to sell the plane it tends to scare off buyers wondering what else was done without documentation by God-knows-who.

Last edited:
That works to some extent, but when the maintenance records don't match the airplane, it makes the annual inspection that much more difficult and expensive, and when you try to sell the plane it tends to scare off buyers wondering what else was done without documentation by God-knows-who.

I make the logbook entry, there are plenty of examples already in the aircraft log. Print and sign name, date, and use your pilot certificate number. I also take a sharpie and write the date on the battery. The entry should include the make/model of the battery.

Meaning another aircraft battery approved for that aircraft, as opposed to a battery not approved for that aircraft. It doesn't have to be the identical make/model battery as the battery removed.

When the battery is STC approved, the owner can not install and return it to service unless the STC has previously been installed.

FAR 43-A does not give the owner the ability to change a wet cell battery to any jell cell battery, even though the jell cell is approved for that aircraft on a STC.

The owner can change the battery, fill out the 337 for the STC installation and present it to any A&P-IA for approval and return to service.

When in doubt, always ask. Only stupid question is one not asked. We all start somewhere.

When the battery is STC approved, the owner can not install and return it to service unless the STC has previously been installed.
If you've already got the STC done for your plane, then that battery is approved for your plane, and you the owner can do the battery replacement by yourself. However, you cannot replace a battery that is approved for your plane with one that is not approved for your plane (e.g., one that requires an STC you haven't previously accomplished on your plane) without getting an IA involved. And I think that's what I said.

If you've already got the STC done for your plane, then that battery is approved for your plane, and you the owner can do the battery replacement by yourself. However, you cannot replace a battery that is approved for your plane with one that is not approved for your plane (e.g., one that requires an STC you haven't previously accomplished on your plane) without getting an IA involved. And I think that's what I said.

That's what I've said, Ron, or do you have a misunderstanding of the term 'like item".

I am in the same boat as the op, needing to replace the battery in my '76 150M. I currently have a Gill G25 but would like to replace with the comparable Concorde RG-25. The Concorde looks to be a PMA'd replacement. Can I make the swap with just a logbook entry?
Jim

I am in the same boat as the op, needing to replace the battery in my '76 150M. I currently have a Gill G25 but would like to replace with the comparable Concorde RG-25. The Concorde looks to be a PMA'd replacement. Can I make the swap with just a logbook entry?
Jim
Your Concorde will come with the proper paper work in the box,, follow the directions, fill out the 337 installing the STC and take it and your logs to an A&P-IA to return to service.

Your Concorde will come with the proper paper work in the box,, follow the directions, fill out the 337 installing the STC and take it and your logs to an A&P-IA to return to service.

Thank you, Tom.

I know Wilco includes the paperwork with the battery, but I'm not so sure about other vendors.

Back