Battery replacement

Jim Burns

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Burns
After 3 years and 3 Wisconsin winters freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing the battery in the Aztec, it finally gave up the ghost yesterday during my partner's trip to west central IL. Cold starts were fine, but the extended crank time during hot starts simply took it's toll on the battery and he had to have the airplane jump started twice.

I've got a new Gill G-35 wet cell battery ordered, but it's caused me to think about a few things.

1) Battery tenders (I've read the threads)
2) Battery box heat pads
3) Concorde sealed batteries such as the RG35-AXC, which require an STC, are slightly differant size, possibly a new box cover, and because we have the Boggart battery box modification, might require post adapters.

Any thoughts?

I have always been a big believer in the battery tender and have had good luck with them. I know owners who have them and leave them on all the time during the winter. I on the other hand have mine on a timer and run it for 12 hours at a time.

After 3 years and 3 Wisconsin winters freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing the battery in the Aztec, it finally gave up the ghost yesterday during my partner's trip to west central IL. Cold starts were fine, but the extended crank time during hot starts simply took it's toll on the battery and he had to have the airplane jump started twice.

I've got a new Gill G-35 wet cell battery ordered, but it's caused me to think about a few things.

1) Battery tenders (I've read the threads)
2) Battery box heat pads
3) Concorde sealed batteries such as the RG35-AXC, which require an STC, are slightly differant size, possibly a new box cover, and because we have the Boggart battery box modification, might require post adapters.

Any thoughts?

I've had very good service from the Concorde RG-XC line (my plane has a pair of 25AH batteries). AFaIK Gill also came out with a AGM (the technology behind the Concord RG series) battery but it has a poor track record. There isn't much difference in size between the RG and standard batteries, the RGs may be about a quarter inch less tall but that's about it so fitting shouldn't be much of a problem.

I think you need an STC anyway. I got one with my Concord battery.

You just FAX them your model and serial number.

Any thoughts?

1) Battery tenders (I've read the threads) > People either love or hate them, I can't comment as I don't own one.
2) Battery box heat pads > Not a bad idea especially in colder climates!
3) Concorde sealed batteries such as the RG35-AXC, which require an STC, are slightly differant size, possibly a new box cover, and because we have the Boggart battery box modification, might require post adapters. > Well worth whatever you need to do to make the RG35AXC work. It is by far the best aviation battery available!

Last edited:
I have had TWO concorde RG35AXCs in 12 years of operation. The first one I retired after seven years eventhough it passed the 90% discharge test every year, including the most recent (it sits on a 40 mah pulse charger) and was once again loaned out to a hangar neighbor with a recalcitrant Arrow.

When hanaged it sits on a VDC Battery minder (and no, not the aviation specific one). As this has been very departure and cost effective, I expect to continue this.

$200/7 is only $29.00 per year. RELIABLE starts. Set your bus voltage to between 14.2 and 14.3V, not 14.4; it's important to the longevity of the adsorbed glass mat.

PA34 200T.

Last edited:
Back