Battery Life and Care

But we never top the battery from that bottle of leftover acid we had, from when we first serviced the battery.
Doing that would gradually make the acid stronger, in a normal evaporation-only situation. The acid in that bottle is already diluted from full-strength.
It has a specific gravity of 1.285, which means a concentration of about 38% acid and the rest water. Full-strength its SG is around 1.840. I don't know what stronger acid would do to the battery, but it's interesting to note that pure sulfuric acid freezes at +10.4°C, going much lower when diluted with water.

12.6v is typically considered a 100% state of charge for a 12v lead-acid battery.

voltchart1.gif

That's interesting, my UBG-16 always reads 11.7 volts when I turn things on during preflight. Must be instrument error.

And that reminds me that at least 10 years ago someone told me I had a bad battery because of this reading. So I bought a new one...and saw no change in voltage reading.

but it's interesting to note that pure sulfuric acid freezes at +10.4°C, going much lower when diluted with water.

most solutions work that way IIRC. It's one of the colligative properties of solutions. I can't believe I remember something from one of my college chemistry classes. LOL

Not to hijack the thread but how much of a charge should you see on the voltmeter while the engine is running? I read up above that 14.4 is optimum. I get 13.1. :confused:
13.8-14.2

With everything turned off I get 13.9. 13.1 when everything is running and when I transmit it goes down to 11.8.

With everything turned off I get 13.9. 13.1 when everything is running and when I transmit it goes down to 11.8.

Question? What do you see with engine running everything off then lights, radios, everything on?

Look at post #37

You should use distilled water, not regular water, and especially tap water will kill a battery.
Smart chargers in marine industry use 3 stage charges, aviation seems to only have 1 stage voltage regulators. If single stage I would prefer 13.8-13.9, AGMs will have a slightly higher resting voltage 12.7-12.8 than wet cells. Resting voltage is the voltage with no draw. If you fly an aerobatic plane you should have an AGM.
When is the last time you checked water levels in your wet cell? Need to do it every couple of months.
Your charging should remain constant despite what you turn on, otherwise you could end up depleting your battery on a long cross country.
Landing lights and anti icing systems are big draws.

Whatever combination of charge rate and temperature and whatnot seems to have smiled on us over the years for such badly designed charging systems in airplanes, plus whatever our mechanic has done during initial fill and pre-charge. We've gotten six years pretty consistently out of our Gills in the 182, typically only flown weekly or a little more. We have no electricity in the hangar unless someone goes and starts the portable generator.

A friend who lives in Arizona says he feels lucky when he gets 2 years in the heat. Which matches Jim's charging chart. He's probably never getting a proper charge off of a typical aircraft voltage regulator down there. He has electricity but he'd need to modify a typical float charger to a higher voltage for the summer temps. His airplanes fly more, too.

I've been told recently that the charging voltages for autos and airplane batteries is different by design. A guy at BatteryMinders told me this. They sell chargers for all types of things and the one for my Concorde aviation battery has different specs from the auto chargers they sell. He mentioned that the "specific gravity" of aviation/auto batteries are different and using an auto charger on the aviation battery has a deteriorating effect. I'm not sure if they are just trying to get more money for their av chargers or what but if you read fine print you will find this is in fact correct.

I've been told recently that the charging voltages for autos and airplane batteries is different by design. A guy at BatteryMinders told me this. They sell chargers for all types of things and the one for my Concorde aviation battery has different specs from the auto chargers they sell. He mentioned that the "specific gravity" of aviation/auto batteries are different and using an auto charger on the aviation battery has a deteriorating effect. I'm not sure if they are just trying to get more money for their av chargers or what but if you read fine print you will find this is in fact correct.

Maybe, maybe not. Flooded lead acid, is flooded lead acid, and the cell's chemistry and resulting voltages don't change between industries.

He could however be referring to the difference between flooded lead-acid and AGM. Those are different and are different in both automotive and aviation, equally.

I suspect these battery charging makers know all of this but don't feel like getting into the real details with customers or they'd have twenty products with different part numbers and have to explain it all.

Crack open most of these multi-stage chargers and inside is one of two or three commonly used charge controller chipsets, usually configured identically or nearly so, to the chipset datasheet's example configurations.

And some manufacturers will go to the trouble of potting the chips or scratching off their identifying marks to keep you from knowing they make a $50/charger profit on a $3 chip and $2 worth of jellybean surface mount components.

I fly with an Odyssey dry cell Battery PC680 and use a battery tender specifically made for an Odyssey.

I fly several times a week.

After about two years the first one failed the high rate discharge rate and failed to start the engine at three years. My second lasted a little longer and I am on my third now. It too failed the high rate discharge test at 70% after two years. I am still using it after four years but it does not have the power a new one does and it takes less time to become discharged.

I have a 65 amp alternator.

My Battery needs to start my Lycoming IO-320 and operate a Toyota starter for about 15 seconds to operate my pre-rotator. This application is very hard on a battery because the starter is at low rpm for most of the time.

A high rate discharge test can damage or kill a battery. You should find out what that "high rate" is.

As an example, my wife has followed the factory recommended service intervals for her Acura TL. When it had thirty thousand miles on it, a high rate test was done and it failed. It wouldn't start after the test. She had the service department replace it, and I didn't find out about the incident until later.

At sixty thousand miles it failed the test again. The battery voltage dropped below the desired threshold before the test timed out. This time it would still start afterwards, but three weeks later I had to replace it.

I called the dealership to get more details about this "test". They were applying an 850 amp load to the battery for thirty seconds! I checked the starting amperage with my DC clamp on ammeter, it was less than 250.

Why the **** were they applying over three times the peak load for over three times the normal cranking period? "Uh, that's what the Snap-On guy recommended". No wonder it fried the battery, I suppose the intercell connectors failed.

I called the dealership to get more details about this "test". They were applying an 850 amp load to the battery for thirty seconds! I checked the starting amperage with my DC clamp on ammeter, it was less than 250.

Why the **** were they applying over three times the peak load for over three times the normal cranking period? "Uh, that's what the Snap-On guy recommended". No wonder it fried the battery, I suppose the intercell connectors failed.

That's a cranking amps sort of test. It doesn't measure capacity, just current draw capability of the battery.

Typical old school CCA test, was half of the rated amp load for 15 seconds, and the battery had to stay above 9.6V at the end, at anything above about 50F.

850 is big but if the CCA rating of the battery was at least that high, it's unlikely to burn out intercell connectors with it. Probably just "boiled" the electrolyte. Easy enough to tell really, resting voltage would be wrong on a damaged battery by one cell worth. But you'd need to know what it was before the test to prove damage.

So if the battery was rated at 800 CCA the test would be done at 400A. It wouldn't matter what the vehicle actually draws, it would be based on the battery rating.

The 15 seconds is also "half" -- it's half of the spec for CCA ratings, which are done for 30 seconds (in a test lab, with a "frozen" battery).

Other commonly seen field/shop tests attempt to measure internal battery resistance with AC to more or less accurate degrees. But most shops use some sort of quick high current or longer lower current load test to figure out battery health.

As an aside: Most people won't stick around for the hours needed to run a real load test on a $100 item.

Best test is does it hold a charge and does it start the airplane. Although if its suspect you might want to go ahead and put a new one in so you're not stuck somewhere.

The test denverpilot describes is reasonable and effective. I don't agree with most "tests" that are performed at the maximum capabilities of an object.

The 2.2L four banger in my '99 Camry is redlined at 6,500 RPM. But it wouldn't be smart to put the car in low gear and run it at maximum revs for a few minutes.

In a post above I complained about the load test on the battery in my wife's car. I had a much better experience with a battery test today.

I noticed my Excursion was dragging a little on startup. I put my little 100A crackerbox tester on it, and it was dropping to 10.5 volts after about 45 seconds of load. I checked the receipt I had on file, and the battery had just 6 weeks left on the 36 month warranty.

So I removed it and took it back to Sam's Club. The tech tested it, and said the results were iffy. He charged it for 45 minutes, tested it again, and told me it failed the test. They used a tester that put a 600A load on the 700 CCA battery...I was all for it this time around. :D

So if you check a battery with a hydrometer and one or more cells are low is the battery bad? Do you charge and retest or will a bad cell show bad after charging?

I have an Odyssey that's 16 years old and going strong. You need to buy a better battery.

I was leaving town for a few weeks so I pulled the battery and stored it in my garage. Keep the temperature at about 60F. Stored about 3 weeks. Today I was moving plane into a hanger for annual inspection, installed battery and it would not start the plane. Had to jump start it. Time consuming when you are doing it yourself.

I will be ordering an Odyssey this week. What is the best supplier? I am guessing the battery will need to be barged from Seattle, no ground freight to Juneau....:(

Stoddards in Anchorage, Batteries Plus in Anchorage, or tons of internet vendors.

Step 1) When you install the battery clean the connector and put a light layer of white grease on the terminal before you connect it to retard any corrosion.

I have an Odyssey that's 16 years old and going strong. You need to buy a better battery.

What battery did you buy. I was looking at the J-16. Did you buy a new batter hold down box? I don't see any dealers in Juneau, it looks like the batteries are not considered a hazard material for shipping. I may be able to have a friend pick one up for me. He flies one of the local medevac jets out of Juneau and gets to Anchorage often. I could have the battery waiting for him at one of the FBO's.

Talk to your IA. Have him review AC43.13-2B chapter 10. Some mechanics interpret that as a green light for any lead-acid battery and others are hung up on having a PMA. The PMA choice is the SBS-J16. The identical battery without PMA is the PC-680. I prefer the PC-625. My box was produced for the 625 on a Skywagon firewall. Odyssey sells a holder for the SBS and 680 batteries. Another popular option is to put a PC-925 into the stock battery box.

Step 1) When you install the battery clean the connector and put a light layer of white grease on the terminal before you connect it to retard any corrosion.

Why not something designed and better suited for the job like DeoxIT? Lithium grease seems counterproductive as it would be an insulator.

Cleaning up anything on, around, and near lead-acid batteries is simply an exercise in water and baking soda to neutralize any acid. That's always the fun part... bubbles!

The grease you mention or a proper oxidation inhibitor is a preventative only after it's all cleaned up. (Seen many people use the deoxidizers as cleaners and that's not going to neutralize and clean off the small amounts of acid that slowly coat everything in a lead-acid battery box and terminals.)

Heck even my tractor where literally the battery is strapped to the frame and open to air, manages to get a little acid wicked up into the terminals and the grounding braid over the few years that a battery lasts, and I have no idea how. Tons of airflow, battery is never actively venting heavily, kept on a proper three stage charger when not in use and still the acid finds a way onto stuff.

So whenever the battery is changed, or the terminals have accumulated dirt and grime (like I said, that one is totally open to the elements), out comes the throw away Tupperware bowl with a slurry of water and baking soda, and an old toothbrush...

Why not something designed and better suited for the job like DeoxIT? Lithium grease seems counterproductive as it would be an insulator.
A) it works. Been using it for the last 30 years or so. B) I have a big (but now almost empty) tube lying in the cabinet next to my tool box.

A) it works. Been using it for the last 30 years or so. B) I have a big (but now almost empty) tube lying in the cabinet next to my tool box.

Heh. I know about the "well there's a tube of the stuff sitting here" syndrome. Ha.

Just so ya know, the DeoxIT will last about a decade too. Haha. Grab some! :)

What's a hydrometer? :goofy:

Jim
The state of charge of a lead-acid battery can be estimated from the density of the sulfuric acid solution used as electrolyte. A hydrometer calibrated to read specific gravity relative to water at 60 degrees Fahrenheit is a standard tool for servicing automobile batteries

Jim are you a lawyer?..:)

Last edited:
I have my third Odyssey PC-680 since 2011. It powers the panel before startup(10 Amps), provides emergency power if needed and can supplement my main battery for cold wx starts. My main battery PC-925 is the original. I have had to keep the recommended 12 Amp Odyssey charger hooked up to the 680 or voltage drops to 11.8 OCV after 2-3 weeks.

Do you have a phantom load? My PC-625 has sat through several winters with the airplane pickled and parked and in the spring it has never required a charger to start my engine. The same is true with my 4 wheelers and other equipment.

My new exp Cub has an EarthX etx-900. Unbelievably light weight. Very popular with exp owners. I hope it performs as well in the cold as an Odyssey.

I checked to see if any current was flowing in mA. Nothing, so unhooked the 680 until next flight to make sure. It still dropped. It is fine for trips, sitting for three weeks. I just keep it connected to charger. I will look at the EarthX next time.

op 4 years thats great. in south fl, pink power batteries last exactly 2 years 6 weeks 3 days 7 hours 22 minuets and 10 seconds . i order one at the two year mark so i will be ready:D

op 4 years thats great. in south fl, pink power batteries last exactly 2 years 6 weeks 3 days 7 hours 22 minuets and 10 seconds . i order one at the two year mark so i will be ready:D

Nearly everyone I know who lives in hot(ter) climates says they only get a couple of years out of their batteries.

We got six out of our last one here.

I checked to see if any current was flowing in mA. Nothing, so unhooked the 680 until next flight to make sure. It still dropped. It is fine for trips, sitting for three weeks. I just keep it connected to charger. I will look at the EarthX next time.

From the Odyssey manual. I can attest to this being correct. I've only heard of one failure report (similar performance to what you described) and Odyssey replaced that battery. I have a bunch of Odysseys in occasional use equipment. They've been amazing.

"Unlike conventional batteries that need a recharge every 6 to 12 weeks, a fully charged ODYSSEY battery can be stored for up to 2 years at 77oF (25oC) from a full state of charge. At lower temperatures, storage times will be even longer."

The manual- http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM-002_1214.pdf

Warranty- http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-WS-AA.pdf

At my mechanic's suggestion and after replacing the Chrysler alternator with a Plane Power, I'm replacing the old Prestolite voltage regulator with a Plane Power which should fix my undercharging problem.

I've had a number of Gill G-35 batteries just turn into junk on me, getting 4 years out of one is really quite good. There usually is nothing to be done. I switched to Concorde AGM batteries, they're much better, but I just had one of them crater on me, I left the freaking master switch on, and when I came out to the hanger again, boom, it was dead, wouldn't take a charge at all, either. Just slag. I would have expected the G-35 to do that, but, oh well. Got another, and check the switch now several times.

Back