Battery Heater

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Has anyone found a battery heating solution that could be left plugged in for the balance of the winter? I'm thinking a 5 or 10W pad on an aluminum plate near or under the battery.

The idea is to keep the battery 20+ degrees warmer than ambient, making for easier starts. The other consideration is that a "quick" heater like a high wattage ceramic heater just isn't going to heat a battery quickly, no matter how many BTU's you throw at it.

I've already got the engine heater piece covered.

Tanis makes a battery heat pad but it appears to be for batteries much larger than our typical GA light aircraft batteries.

( It is 115 volts 74 watts, size 38.5 x 4 , part # TBP2648-38-115/74 )

So the concept works, it is just a matter of finding a compatible size, and FAA ? approval for installation.

So the concept works, it is just a mater of finding a compatible size, and FAA ? approval for installation.

The airplane(s) in question are experimental, so there's only good engineering and/or common sense to bound the installation.

What kind of battery? Old school flooded lead-acid battery heaters were common 25-30 years ago. AGM batteries perform amazingly well in the cold so not necessary. Lithium batteries are completely different and don’t need heat.

I use a Battery Tender in lieu of a heater and always have great starts regardless of temperature.

Back