Bathroom Breaks

I was flying across somewhere in Kansas during my IFR training and had to pee. So with the fairly young male CFI in the right seat of the C152 I managed to use a travel john without any trouble, under the hood tracking a VOR and flew right over it... The kid CFI was freaked out at first but since I was wearing shorts and there was no disrobing involved I reminded him that : 1. He lives with a girlfriend. And. 2. I'm old enough to be his mother so get a grip. And look out the window.

There was no where to land and well nature was calling loudly

It was a non issue. I Heart traveljohns"......

I had 3 cups of coffee and lots of coke before I left Gastons......I'm glad I remembered my Gatorade bottles.

Funny story,

I have those portable urinals in my flight bag, the ones with the gel in them that absorbs the pee. My wife and i were flying to vegas (bout a 3 hr flight), and i had loaded up on coffee and water, mistake 1. I pull out one of the travel johns, let loose in it. Went to zip up, and wasn't quite done. i guess the angle i was at on the 172 seat gave me a false empty bladder indication. My wife still laughs about the time i peed on myself while flying.

I fly RV's. They have sticks. Unless I do acrobatics with the plane or my "buddy" i cannot pee in the plane or on myself in the plane. I am going to land the plane, pee and take off again.

Seriously, do you guys and gals wear diapers while driving? Pull over (land the plane) and pee!:mad2:

Last edited:
Landing the plane is, of course, an obvious solution-- unless you finally got your clearance, clawed your way through the muck to 16,000, ceilings below are ragged 100-300 in mist, and home is three hours thataway. In which case, the funnel/gel disposable thingies are just great.

My daughter was in desperate need. We were high, halfway there, and descending right now and landing was going to be rather expensive, both time-wise and money-wise. I told her about the answer to a maiden's prayer stuffed way back there on the hat shelf somewhere. She found it, looked at it, and grumbled, "I don't have to go that badly." OK, then--grit yer teeth for another two hours.

If you fly an RV, I suppose the options are a little more limited. They're pretty, though.

I fly RV's. They have sticks. Unless I do acrobatics with the plane or my "buddy" i cannot pee in the plane or on myself in the plane. I am going to land the plane, pee and take off again.

Seriously, do you guys and gals wear diapers while driving? Pull over (land the plane) and pee!:mad2:

Center stick. Problem solved.

Where there's a will, there's a way...

Flying the -7A from Vegas to Albuquerque, somewhere east of the Grand Canyon it hit me - HAD to go... Not a ton of pit-stop options in that area. Had an empty gatorade bottle and found a way to make it happen.

3-3.5 hr endurance (either the fuel or my knees give out somewhere before 4hrs) in the RVs usually prevents any marathon bladder episodes.

Landing the plane is, of course, an obvious solution-- unless you finally got your clearance, clawed your way through the muck to 16,000, ceilings below are ragged 100-300 in mist, and home is three hours thataway. In which case, the funnel/gel disposable thingies are just great.

My daughter was in desperate need. We were high, halfway there, and descending right now and landing was going to be rather expensive, both time-wise and money-wise. I told her about the answer to a maiden's prayer stuffed way back there on the hat shelf somewhere. She found it, looked at it, and grumbled, "I don't have to go that badly." OK, then--grit yer teeth for another two hours.

If you fly an RV, I suppose the options are a little more limited. They're pretty, though.
For the women, landing at the nearest airport may not solve the problem very well as there may be no "indoor plumbing" available. The one real advantage us guys have over women is the ability to pee in complete privacy simply by facing away from any bystanders.

I'm thinking pilots should be introduced to medical grade catheters.
Scuba Divers who make use of Dry Suits experience the same challenges this thread discusses. Diving in a wet suit, it's normal when bladder pressure is felt to just let go and "turn the heater on". But not something you want to do when you're essentially enclosed within a neoprene or ballistic nylon bag.

For the mail of the species, a solution is a condom catheder attached to a releif tube. A more common one is just adult diapers.

My dive master instructor was also a master cave diver who would frequently do long dives in the caves of the Yucatan or Northern Florida (bottom time approaching 45-60 minutes and a very long planned deco run). When gently teased about the diaper as part of his normal kit, he said that he already was a near overload managing the safety of such a dangerous dive. Not having to add bladder pressure and discomfort to the things that might case a cascade failure event was worth the embarrasment of having the Depends pack in his kit bag.

(side note, he was also the one who taught me the mantra: "Always remember, it's SPIT in your mask and urinate in your suit, not the other way around)")

Back