BATD for home use

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
I just talked myself out of this AGAIN.

I can't justify spending between $5000 and $6000 for a basic flight simulator even though I can log approaches in it (with a two month lookback). The cost of the sim is worth about 75 hours in my own plane or (!!!) 275 hours renting the local - and much better - BATD at the airport for $20/hour.

Does anyone around here use one of those for instrument currency and proficiency at home? Are there cheaper options?

What's wrong with a PC sim and some yoke/peddles off craigslist of eBay for under 200 bucks? All the same minus you can't log it, and if you're a a actually flying any IFR going your 666 in shouldn't be too hard.

I had (well, still have but don't use) the OnTop software and their panel/peddles/yoke. It came with the paperwork to be certified as a PCATD, but I never went that route.

I did find it useful and time-efficient for learning procedures and keeping fresh. But it's not the same as burning avgas. I used to do regular IPCs in addition to currency through regular flight. The nice thing about the Pc sim was tha ability to pre-fly approaches into an unfamiliar airport so it lowered the learning curve in the plane. It's kinda old now and ASA is not updating any more, and I'm not flying at the moment for various reasons. But used as part of an overall program, I find the devices valuable.

YMMV.

Ok. Sounds like I stick with my noncertified copy of xplane and my annual supplemental IPCs and currency flying. I really have not heard of too many people with BATDs at home!

Back