Basing the plane in Canada?

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Anyone have experience with or knowledge of basing a US-registered and owned aircraft in Canada for personal use?

I'm considering a transfer to a location where the nearest year-round airport is across the border in Canada.

Anyone have experience with or knowledge of basing a US-registered and owned aircraft in Canada for personal use?

I'm considering a transfer to a location where the nearest year-round airport is across the border in Canada.

Here's the Canadian Regulation on that:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/Part2/202.htm#202_13

Quote:

Period of Time Present in Canada

202.42(1) Subject to section 203.03, no person shall operate in Canada an aircraft that is registered in a foreign state that has been present in Canada for a total of 90 days or more in the immediately preceding twelve-month period unless

(a) the foreign state is a contracting state;
(b) the operator of the aircraft is
(i) the foreign state,
(ii) an individual who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident but is a citizen or subject of the foreign state, or
(iii) an entity that is incorporated or otherwise formed under the laws of the foreign state; and
(c) if the operator of the aircraft is an entity described in subparagraph (b)(iii), the aircraft is operated in Canada

(i) in accordance with an air operator certificate, or

(ii) in any operation other than an operation that would require a private

operator certificate if the aircraft were registered in Canada.(2) For the purposes of calculating the 90-day period,

(a) if the aircraft is present in Canada for any part of a calendar day, that part shall be counted as one day, and

(b) an aircraft is deemed to be present in Canada as soon as it enters Canadian airspace.

End of quote.

Does that help?

Dan

It's a start. It appears that it is not prohibited for someone in my situation. Thanks! I'm also curious about taxes. I'm already aware of the ATC fees.

It's a start. It appears that it is not prohibited for someone in my situation. Thanks! I'm also curious about taxes. I'm already aware of the ATC fees.

And about the impending new 406 ELT requirement, too? February '09 for any aircraft operating in Canadian airspace (with a few provisions, but mandated north of 55°N). You'll need one.

Dan

Back