BasicMed Physician

mapasha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N1915W
Any physicians that are BasicMed friendly in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois. My primary is not willing to do it. Says she is not certified for "aviation" physicals. Her office is run by a bunch of lawyers.

Check around your area for the "doc in the box" clinics that do physicals for camps, sports, DOT truckers, etc.

The required exam and paperwork isn't too different from those physicals. And many BasicMed pilots report success with those clinics.

One hint/tip is to print off the information for the doctors and FAQ's from the AOPA website. I did that and brought it with me to the doc I used. Once he had a chance to read that, he was satisfied that he was allowed to do it.

Any physicians that are BasicMed friendly in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois.

PM sent, re. the name of the doctor in Eastern Iowa who did mine recently

In general I can suggest asking around: who does DOT exams. A doctor who does DOT exams would likely be willing to do BasicMed also; the advantage of this approach is that DOT exams are common and many doctor's offices have heard of them, whereas BasicMed is new and unfamiliar. Your doctor's office might be able to suggest how to find a DOT-exam doctor; that's how I found the doctor who did my BasicMed exam; if not, inquire at an office that specializes in "occupational therapy" as they will surely know about a DOT-exam doctor.

Any physicians that are BasicMed friendly in Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois. My primary is not willing to do it. Says she is not certified for "aviation" physicals. Her office is run by a bunch of lawyers.
That's what my primary care doc said at first, and then over a few messages w/ his office I explained this was a NEW type of medical that he could do. I gave the AOPA BasicMed Pilot & Physician Guide to his nurses to look over and had a hard copy w/ me when I went in for my yearly physical.

That's what my primary care doc said at first, and then over a few messages w/ his office I explained this was a NEW type of medical that he could do. I gave the AOPA BasicMed Pilot & Physician Guide to his nurses to look over and had a hard copy w/ me when I went in for my yearly physical.
Good Job!

Good Job!
I'm sure it didn't hurt that my doc and his brother are lapsed pilots.
But hopefully, with the help of that guide from AOPA, folks will have luck convincing their primary care docs to sign off BasicMed while we're in for routine physicals. I get a yearly physical for my employer otherwise my paycheck gets docked, wellness and all that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back