BasicMed Huge Hit

I vaguely recall a color blindness exam once which was "go inside and sit in the green chair". Inside there was a muted red chair and a muted green chair where you waited for a could of seconds before someone else did some other exam. I always figured that they must not care much because even if you couldn't tell, you had a 50/50 chances. I think this was inprocessing to the Navy.
Years ago, at my first medical, the color vision test was, "Read the row of letters above the green line."

BasicMed was very easy. Ironically, pilots will probably get more aeromedical education out of BasicMed than they would ever get with a 3rd class medical. My physical exam was more thorough as well in many respects, and by a physician that actually knows the ins and out of my health, from blood tests to history to recent or recurrent minor illness.

I plan on filing a BasicMed exam every 2 years and doing it coincident with a routine annual physical I do anyway, which is much more exhaustive than the BasicMed requirements. My PCP has no issues with the paperwork.

BasicMed was very easy. Ironically, pilots will probably get more aeromedical education out of BasicMed than they would ever get with a 3rd class medical. My physical exam was more thorough as well in many respects, and by a physician that actually knows the ins and out of my health, from blood tests to history to recent or recurrent minor illness.

I plan on filing a BasicMed exam every 2 years and doing it coincident with a routine annual physical I do anyway, which is much more exhaustive than the BasicMed requirements. My PCP has no issues with the paperwork.

Exactly my experience and observations!

Severial years ago when I wanted to get back into flying, and needed some medical info, my PCP stated that flying was a cardinal sin, one of the ways that you get killed... same as motorcycles, off-roading, surfing, gun shooting, skateboard and bicycle riding... He would NEVER sign off on the form...

So I'm looking for an old, gray haired, fat, motorcycle riding, airplane flying, surfing, gun toting doctor.... anyone know of one in So Cal??...

I got my third class in March. Someone at an airport yesterday said that the third class will no longer be offered. Is this true? It has been convenient for me to get the third class since he is much closer to me than my doctor.

I got my third class in March. Someone at an airport yesterday said that the third class will no longer be offered. Is this true? It has been convenient for me to get the third class since he is much closer to me than my doctor.
No it's not true. You can keep getting the Class 3.

I just got mine the other day. Woohoo, good for two more years. Best part was I found an AME who didn't make a federal case out of my gout.

Severial years ago when I wanted to get back into flying, and needed some medical info, my PCP stated that flying was a cardinal sin, one of the ways that you get killed... same as motorcycles, off-roading, surfing, gun shooting, skateboard and bicycle riding... He would NEVER sign off on the form...

So I'm looking for an old, gray haired, fat, motorcycle riding, airplane flying, surfing, gun toting doctor.... anyone know of one in So Cal??...
It occurs to me that one approach would be to get a list of nearby AMEs and then see which ones are listed as pilots in the FAA database. The following Web site allows you to search by zip code. (It lists AMEs within a pretty wide radius, not just within that zip code.)

http://flightphysical.com/

Like the gun totten' doctor!... I do have a great AME, and passed the 3rd class with almost no problem.. will stay there for now... Just saying that BasicMed may not be a path for me because of the position that my PCP has about "fun things"... that only thing that can kill someone is life... so might as will live a great life!..

My long time AME now offers BasicMed exams and even has links to the medical history form and AOPA on-line class on his website. Options!

Back