BasicMed & FAA Aeromedicine musings

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
As BasicMed is now two going on three years old I was curious how the accident rates looked. A cursory look at the NTSB DB showed that there have been 3,190 accidents since 5/2017. Of those accidents I only found 15 where BasicMed was referenced, 13 of which where the pilot was actually flying under BasicMed and of those only one accident that MAY have been attributed to a medical issue. That accident may have been related to a cardiac event, however the official cause of death was blunt force trauma. In that accident the pilot was the sole occupant of the aircraft and no one on the ground was injured.

AOPA recently claimed there are close to 50,000 pilots flying under BasicMed. If that’s the case then statistically it sure looks like BasicMed is a huge success and hasn’t compromised public safety in any material way. It also makes one wonder (at least me) whether more aeromedical reformation is in order. Do we really need a Third Class Medical Certificate? Do we really need all the regulatory Special Issuance red tape?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back