BasicMed and FAA Approved medications list

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
I assume that nothing has changed regarding BasicMed and the FAA Approved/Disapproved medications list? Doc prescribed Levsin for occasional intestinal cramping most likely associated with diverticulitis. I just checked the list and Levsin is Disapproved. Immodium is accepted. So, with that assumption, I'll not fill the RX. I recall somewhere in the past someone had a suggestion to request the prescribing Doc to add wording to the same regarding the Rx?

Last edited:
Are you talking about documenting the fact that you didn't fill the Rx? If so, I don't see why that would be necessary for BasicMed.

yes - documenting. Just after I posted, the Gastro nurse called as a follow up to see how I was doing from yesterday's colonoscopy, where Levsin was prescribed. I asked that they document that the Rx was not filled and not picked up. Did the same with the pharmacy shortly after that call.

AOPA says here https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/medications-database
in part ...

Medication usage under BasicMed
If you are taking a medication that is currently on the disallowed list, it doesn't automatically mean it is disallowed under BasicMed. When you visit your physician for the BasicMed examination, the checklist that you and your physician complete will list any prescription or non-prescription medication that you currently use, as well as information such as the medication name and dosage. Your physician will then address, as medically appropriate, any medications the individual is taking and discuss the medication’s potential to interfere with the safe operation of an aircraft or motor vehicle. Certain medications are not safe to be used at all while flying and others require a reasonable waiting period after use. Pilots, in discussion with their physician, should consult available aeromedical resources to understand potential flight hazards associated with any medications being taken, such as whether the underlying condition the medication is being taken for makes flight unsafe, or to understand side-effects that may be unnoticeable before flight but could impair the ability of a pilot to make sound decisions. In addition to the BasicMed rules, pilots taking medication must also comply with existing Federal Aviation Regulations, such as the self-grounding requirements of FAR 61.53 and FAR 91.17’s prohibition on operations while using any drug that has effects contrary to safety. AOPA’s online medical education course will include medication considerations when evaluating your fitness to fly. AOPA is also continuing to work with the FAA concerning the use of certain medications under BasicMed rules.

ok, google fu fail today ... hitting the FAA meds list thru the AOPA site shows Levsin as accepted, while another google result showed it on the generally not accepted. Arghhhhh.

ok, google fu fail today ... hitting the FAA meds list thru the AOPA site shows Levsin as accepted, while another google result showed it on the generally not accepted. Arghhhhh.
We really need a emoji for "contact Dr Bruce"

The following FAA Web page lists categories of medications that could be a problem:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/dni_dnf/

The FAA's Guide for Medical Examiners goes into more detail, beginning on pager 308. However, they caution that "A list is subject to misuse if used as the sole factor to determine certification eligibility or compliance with 14 CFR part 61.53, Prohibition of Operations During Medical Deficiencies. Maintaining a published a list of 'acceptable' medications is labor intensive and, in the final analysis, only partially answers the certification question and does not contribute to aviation safety."

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/guide.pdf

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back