Basic question on weather info

Stephan E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stephan E.
Hi

Since I'll be in the US next week I have one final question and I hope that you will be able to help:

Apart from ASOS/AWOS, 1-800-wx-brief, flight following enroute, etc. (which are the main weather sources that I learned from the book), what are the more informal weather resources that you use when preparing a flight at home? I know that probably every pilot has his preferred weather sites where he gets his information. Since I'm not familiar with such sites in the US I would be interested to hear what your preferred sources are.

Thanks for your help!

Stephan

Informal? Local news outlets (TV, RADIO, or WEB), wunderground.com, weather.com, accuweather.com, and of course aopa.com. If you're in the air, flightwatch. XMRadio also has aviation and marine weather though that is a subscription fee (and a XM weather receiver). CSC or DTC are available as well. duats.com or duat.com.
Where you going to be? Many PoA buddies around would be happy to meet up. And where are you from?

what are the more informal weather resources that you use

I have been known to call a friend or the fbo of my destination...or some enroute locations to get a human eyeball on actual conditions.

Hi

Since I'll be in the US next week I have one final question and I hope that you will be able to help:

Apart from ASOS/AWOS, 1-800-wx-brief, flight following enroute, etc. (which are the main weather sources that I learned from the book), what are the more informal weather resources that you use when preparing a flight at home?

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/

Hi

Thanks to all of you. I'll go and check out the various weather sites that you told me and I'm sure that I'll find one or the other that gives me the information. Thanks again, that's a great help.

I'll be flying from Lincoln Park, NJ, so my routes will mainly take me to the Finger Lake Region, the Great Lakes, New England, etc.

Best regards
Stephan

and I forgot to answer your question: I'm from Switzerland and I'll be over there from next Tuesday to Sunday to get my JAR-licence FAA-validated.

Stephan

Back