Basic med providers

I don't believe so. Chiropractors don't have degrees from a "school of medicine". And, they don't get the same license as physicians & surgeons from their state agency.

They can, if in their state they are a "state licensed physician." For example, in Kentucky, they are. Chiropractors can even do CDL physicals for the DOT.

This concerns me; an acquaintance is a recent graduate of a chiropractic school. She received *no* training in eye, heart, lung, or abdominal exams. Does not have a blood pressure cuff or stethoscope in her office. To her credit, she doesn't pretend to be more than a provider in musculoskeletal medicine and does not do DOT or other physicals. Some do though...

Are you referring to a DO (Doctor of osteopath) here in Arizona they are considered same as a medical doctor, but not the same as a Chiropractor although I do know Osteopath Doctors that offer chiropractic adjustments.

Are you referring to a DO (Doctor of osteopath) here in Arizona they are considered same as a medical doctor, but not the same as a Chiropractor although I do know Osteopath Doctors that offer chiropractic adjustments.

I’m referring specifically to Chiropractors. DO’s are clearly physicians and in most university hospital training programs participate hand in hand with MD’s. They have performed airman medical exams for many years. I was not aware that the FAA recognized Chiropractic scope of practice to include airman medical evaluations.

Yep, DOs are physicians. My basic med was signed off by a DO. I just need to remember to refer to him as an Osteopathic Physician rather than a Sociopathic one.

I wasn't aware they had changed the original proposal, but after seeing the comments here, I looked it up. It was originally sold as you would have to see your primary care physician since they would know you history best. Now it says, "Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist."

MDs and DOs, yes. DCs, no.

No exactly.

The statute that created BasicMed specified "State-Licensed Physician" and did not provide a definition of what a "physician" is. Accordingly, if the state that the medical provider is licensed in considers them a physician, then the FAA considers a medical examination conducted by that person to be valid. It's worth mentioning that states specify a scope of practice that may or may not include conducting comprehensive medical examinations. But that is an issue between the state licensing board and the medical provider.

The FAA does not maintain a registry of which states license Chiropractors as physicians and which do not. If you're unsure, contact your state's medical licensing board for clarification.

I wasn't aware they had changed the original proposal, but after seeing the comments here, I looked it up. It was originally sold as you would have to see your primary care physician since they would know you history best. Now it says, "Get a physical exam with a state-licensed physician, using the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist."

That's still the general concept, but not every primary care physician is willing or able to do so. It's in the airman's best interest to have a physician who is most familiar with their medical history to conduct the examination, but either way, the airman must disclose their medical history to whichever physician they see.

In my state (North Carolina) it's murkey. The rules for medical providers say you can't use Physician or Surgeon (or even in most cases Doctor) as a title unless you are an MD or DO or you're recognized under some other statute (for instance, Dentists, Drs. of Audiology,e tc...). The statute for chiroquacktors defnes the title as "Chiropractic Physician." So strictly I guess such is a flavor of state-licensed physician, but it's kind of on the level of "American Champagne."

No exactly.

The statute that created BasicMed specified "State-Licensed Physician" and did not provide a definition of what a "physician" is.

Ok, sounds legit. Just for sake of argument, I wonder how a podiatrist would fit into that model. I've seen may references to them as Podiatric Physicians. (I get your point that the determining factor would the state licensing board.)

I would be interested to hear from anyone in this thread who has actually done their BasicMED exam with a chiropractor. I'm still skeptical, but anxious to be proven wrong.

Ok, sounds legit. Just for sake of argument, I wonder how a podiatrist would fit into that model. I've seen may references to them as Podiatric Physicians. (I get your point that the determining factor would the state licensing board.)

I would be interested to hear from anyone in this thread who has actually done their BasicMED exam with a chiropractor. I'm still skeptical, but anxious to be proven wrong.
Podiatrists fall into a similar bucket. That said, I haven't heard of any doing exams.

There is a whole industry of chiropractors who have set up shop specializing in BasicMed exams. Here's a group that offers training to them: https://teamcme.com/course/faa-basicmed-exam-training/

NP, or a PA which probably has lot more schooling are not allowed, but in some states a Chiropractor can because the state uses the word "Physician" which meets the federal statute requirement. I found you can get Doctor of Chiropractic 100% online. I wonder if you can do your own basic medical if you get one of those online degrees in Chiropractic Medicine.

NP, or a PA which probably has lot more schooling are not allowed, but in some states a Chiropractor can because the state uses the word "Physician" which meets the federal statute requirement. I found you can get Doctor of Chiropractic 100% online. I wonder if you can do your own basic medical if you get one of those online degrees in Chiropractic Medicine.

While you may be able to do the coursework online, most states require you sit for the boards (in person) before you can get licensed.

I don't think "chiropractic" and "medicine" go in the same sentence. I'm also pretty sure you cannot get a chiropractic degree online. The first year or so are the basic sciences with labs, pretty similar to what conventional med students go through.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back