Basic Med for first time medical cert

A

Anon

Ok,

I hope I am not repeating a common question.

I am just starting in the process of getting my private pilots license. I take have taken Fluoxetine for mild anxiety for many years. With no health issues otherwise.

I thought with basic med I did not need to get a 3rd class medical but as I am looking over the form it looks like my first certificate needs to be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class and then I can use basic med after that.

So I have 2 questions.

1) Am I understanding that correctly about basic med?

2) How hard is it to get a 3rd class medical if taking fluoxetine?

You need a doc to answer the second question, but answer to your first question to go basic med, you need to have had a medical, 1st, 2nd or 3rd after July 14, 2006.

The good news is fluoxetine is on the FAA approved drug list for a special issuance medical.

The bad news is you will still have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a special issuance medical and it will take several months and maybe more money than you are willing to spend.

Do not apply for a medical certificate until you have had a conference with a medical examiner so you understand the process and get everything in order before applying.

and i'll add this. if you decide to actually apply for the 3rd class and are denied you will lose the opportunity to earn a sport pilot cert. as well. sport pilots can fly without an FAA medical and instead need only a valid driverrs license but if you are denied a medical then the sport pilot cert is off limits to you, sport pilot basically self-certify that they are fit to fly. the sport cert has some limitations...daytime vfr, 1 passenger and some others but it's better than not flying at all. Clip4 gave you some great advice. schedule a conference with an FAA med examiner before filing an application. determine the hoops you will need to jump thru, how long it will take and what it will cost. then make a go/no-go decision. leave yourself the option of sport pilot.

Make it clear when you schedule with the AME that it is CONSULT. Do not even consider filling out the FAA medical form until after the meeting.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back