Based in Vermont

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
So who else on the board is based in the Green Mountain State? I just moved here from southeast MI and am based at KMPV.

I fly off Burke and West Rutland on occasion. Don't live up there though. How is VT treating you?

There are two pilots Jim Gratton and his wife I can't recall her name now but I think they lurk and they are based at KRUT.

I fly off Burke and West Rutland on occasion. Don't live up there though. How is VT treating you?
I didn't know there was a field at WEST Rutland. The sectional shows a private field and hang glider activity in the area. From your moniker, I assume that's what you're mostly into?

I'm in a communal hangar, only the FBO people can move me in or out. Not sure how that's going to work out when I want to come back after hours with wx moving in overnight. (Actually, I'm sure: it's going to be a showstopper.)

Otherwise it's been great so far. I found a flat to rent in a house a 5 minute walk from where I work. It's a very safe neighborhood in a very small town. I would not have believed it, but there are still a few places in this country where you don't need to be anal about locking your door.

Congratulations, Liz!
Sounds like you're in a great spot, in more ways than one.

I'll miss sharing the skies with you and 8JT

Thanks Liz! But if you're ever out this way in the RV6, give me a shout and we'll meet up.

Nice. Yeah I fly paragliders, have flown airplanes and gliders in VT. I knew folks frustrated with that FBO for closing at 5:00 sharp. Especially in summer when there is hours of precious sunlight left.

Glad you made a soft landing, as per my prediction. One of the best holidays I ever had was spent in Vermont. Gorgeous place, kind of like West Virginia without all the poor people. From the architecture I suspect you'll have a tough winter, though it can't be that much worse than Michigan.

Hi Liz.

I wasn't aware you had gone to Vermont until I saw your post on Kimberly's job searching thread. I am glad you like it there.

I think Dave Bahnson is up that way. Seems like a really nice guy. I don't know if he posts here or not (can't remember) but I know he posts on the Purple Board.

Glad you made a soft landing, as per my prediction. One of the best holidays I ever had was spent in Vermont. Gorgeous place, kind of like West Virginia without all the poor people.
If you only spent a holiday in Vermont then you probably wouldn't know this, but Vermont isn't a wealthy state by any means. There is a lot of poverty here, and the NE corner of the state (dubbed the "Northeast Kingdom") is especially hard off. Part of it is the fairly low mean annual income (averaging about $30k for individuals, with men making more and women less, again on average), and part is a cost of living that's some 16% above the national average. For example, heating fuel is mostly oil or propane. AFAIK natural gas is not available in most communities.
From the architecture I suspect you'll have a tough winter, though it can't be that much worse than Michigan.
Not sure what you mean by the architecture. The climate here is milder than the UP but definitely harsher than Ohio or even the Detroit area. From the vegetation I reckon it's about like Gaylord or Traverse.

I wasn't aware you had gone to Vermont until I saw your post on Kimberly's job searching thread. I am glad you like it there.
Yes, the budget axe fell on me and I had to find another job. There was nothing in my area, so relocating was inevitable. Let's just say there are much worse places to be "exiled" to. ;)
I think Dave Bahnson is up that way. Seems like a really nice guy. I don't know if he posts here or not (can't remember) but I know he posts on the Purple Board.
Dave the opthalmologist? That's right, I seem to recall he's based out of KRUT. Thanks for reminding me about him... I think he posts here sometimes but I don't recall his username. Maybe he'll delurk if he sees this thread.

Dave was an orthopedic surgeon, I think. Now he messes about in a floatplane teaching, giving rides, etc.

Not living in Vermont now, but did in the past. Lived in the St. Albans and Burlington area. I had my Cherokee 140 based at BTV.

You are correct. Very poor state. At the time, IBM was the biggest employer (I believe they closed the plant) and then it was the Federal government and then the state. Drugs were a big problem. Several universities in the state with most clumped in the Burlington area.

It was impossible to find hangar space in BTV, so my plane sat out in the snow. The state wasn't GA friendly. They had a 5% user fee in addition to sales tax. Great places to fly to.

I live here now! Hello! I live in Burlington, and work for a company in Barre that makes wind turbines. (I will bet you cannot guess who I work for!)
I am not actually a pilot yet, though. I just started taking lessons, and was lucky enough to take my first lesson, take a break to head to San Francisco for work, and while there, won enough money to be relatively sure I will be able to finish flight school. I am flying out of Shelburne for training.
Random question, how much is are hanger fees at BTV?

If you only spent a holiday in Vermont then you probably wouldn't know this, but Vermont isn't a wealthy state by any means. There is a lot of poverty here, and the NE corner of the state (dubbed the "Northeast Kingdom") is especially hard off.

Take your world for it. In WV the poverty just isn't as well hidden.

Not sure what you mean by the architecture. The climate here is milder than the UP but definitely harsher than Ohio or even the Detroit area. From the vegetation I reckon it's about like Gaylord or Traverse.

Tin roofs all over the place. You don't put those in unless you're expecting some serious weather, they cost.

I actually grew up on a horse farm in the Northeast Kingdom. We call it "the NEK". It is beautiful, but very economically depressed. It's not so much that we are hiding the poverty, but rather that we haven't built many roads to the area, which, come to think of it, may be contributing to the poverty. There are pockets of excellence in the NEK, and I was fortunate enough to be raised in one. I grew up on the slopes of Jay Peak, my mother worked in admin at the hospital, and I was sent to a private school. Most people in the area weren't so fortunate, and it shows.

If I'm poor and have to live somewhere I'd rather be down where it is warm. Poor and up in the north somewhere with cold winters? Heck no!

Hey, IamNabil, is that your McLaren in your avatar? Nice car!

Hi narchee, it is. Sort of. I won it a few weeks ago in a drawing at vmworld, but took the cash, and am using the money to fund my pilots license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live close. I'm staying most of the year in NW MA on the VT/ NH lines. I keep my plane at KEEN. someday I will find time to get me and my airplane up to date and see some of the northeast.

The wind doesn't blow all of the time and I will take the cold winter as long as I can get more of the great summers that we have had out here. Not quite like some of our extremes we have had in KS.

You are in Keene? Did you head to the Sonex meetup this past weekend? Also, I looked at your webpage. It says you are incorporated in Kansas? What brings you up north?

Back