Base to final turn, overshoot final, now what?

True , but in this example configuration, some kind of mechanical failure at the fork attachment at either side would end up with split flaps ...I guess no more or less likely that ailerons attachment failure.

View attachment 86157
replace the motor with a Johnson bar, and the same would be true.

Except for airplanes with flaperons, the flaps are usually mechanically tied together. It takes a major failure to cause split flaps. How the flaps are activated is irrelevant.

I used to think it was near impossible to split flap a Skyhawk, until I was sent a photo of it.

That was a lot of wrinkled aluminum. Looked expensive. Ouch.

Proved the flap motor is stronger than I thought too.

I used to practice side slip on base to lose altitude, this thread reminded me to go practice more, haven’t done that in a while.

It’s an essential skill in my book. Just did pattern work today and half of the six landings I used slip to land. The last one was from 6500 down to 4200 from an extended left base to final. This was into a Bravo and you gotta be prepared for all sorts of clearances or be prepared to be in the pattern for a while. I was ready to ask tower for the long landing but ended up easing down just over the numbers. I guess my philosophy in general is that it’s better to be high and able to lose altitude rather than be low and be screwed.

I had it happen in a twinke on a go around, for a split second i thought I lost an engine. roller pinched on one side during flap retraction. the roll rate was interesting. lucky, training kicked in, i corrected the roll, scanned and realized that both were still producing power, must be a split flap, ran the other one down to match the stuck flap and came around and landed. it was an interesting learning experience.

Back