Basal Cell & Mohs

U

Unregistered

I just got home from the plastic surgeon after having a basal cell removed from the area of my left eye. It turned out to be fairly extensive with 5 cuttings by the mohs surgeon to remove it.

I wound up losing my left lower eyelid and a portion of my cheek. The plastic surgeon has made me a new eyelid and tells me I'll have my left eye back in 4-6 weeks. My eye is now sewn shut to allow the new lid to heal.

I have a year left on my 3rd class and am my mid 70s.

What will I need to do when the plastic surgeon opens my eye and I can see again? Can I start flying imediately?

What will I need for my next medical.

Thanks

Ol One Eye the Pirate

I had that a couple of years ago (looked like I had been in a bar fight). Self-grounded for a few days until the eye opened up enough to see to fly.

All I needed for my medical was a letter from the surgeon describing what was found, what was done and (most importantly) that he had gotten it all. Brought it with me to the AME when next I presented myself for poke'n'prod.

No delay, no issues at all.

Edit: obviously, mine was not as extensive as yours, but the principle remains the same. Surgeon certifies he got it all (and that is the essence of MOHs surgery, isn't it?), and you are limited only by your own judgment as to whether any impediments to proper operation exist.

I did avoid the narcotic pain killers, just to be sure.

Last edited:
You can start flying again when your plastic surgeon thinks the eye is protected again (able to be wetted by the lid) and you have negative Moh's pathology in your possession (I'm assuming 3rd, and never have been a CFI).

You can start flying again when your plastic surgeon thinks the eye is protected again (able to be wetted by the lid) and you have negative Moh's pathology in your possession (I'm assuming 3rd, and never have been a CFI).

Curious what would having been a CFI change? Would an expired CFI be the same?

Should he refrain from pirate activities like pillaging, burying treasure, and making people walk the plank? :dunno:

:rofl:

Dr. Bruce, you're a jewel among men. You have really improvrd my mood. Thanks a million.

I guess I'd better get on with with my burning and pillaging before I get my other eye back.

Cheers

Ol One Eye

Dr. Bruce, you're a jewel among men. You have really improvrd my mood. Thanks a million.

I guess I'd better get on with with my burning and pillaging before I get my other eye back.

Cheers

Ol One Eye

Bruce is what we in Texas call, a "good egg."

My pard just went throught this with a basal cell removal from his tongue. He's back flying now, but when he gets a little tired his speech begins to sound like he's been into the gin. He's an older guy who's had a knee replacement, so he's just a little unsteady in his gait. Just waiting for the regular ramp checks to start....
Getting older is not for the faint of heart.

Curious what would having been a CFI change? Would an expired CFI be the same?
Yes it would. That would be becuase the agency can show that you know where to find guidance. Checkout 67.313. If they can show you have reason to knwo about 67.313, then you have to ask a designee and we have volumes of stuff we are supposed to tell the airman, which are tougher than 61.53.

I just got home from the plastic surgeon after having a basal cell removed from the area of my left eye. It turned out to be fairly extensive with 5 cuttings by the mohs surgeon to remove it.

I wound up losing my left lower eyelid and a portion of my cheek. The plastic surgeon has made me a new eyelid and tells me I'll have my left eye back in 4-6 weeks. My eye is now sewn shut to allow the new lid to heal.

I have a year left on my 3rd class and am my mid 70s.

What will I need to do when the plastic surgeon opens my eye and I can see again? Can I start flying imediately?

What will I need for my next medical.

Thanks

Ol One Eye the Pirate

Well after two months of being Ol One Eye I join the ranks of birdmen in 3 hours. I undergoing surgery to release my left eye at 9:00 AM

Monovision suck. Watch out air here I come.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back