Baron vs. Seneca

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Baron vs. C310

Why is it that all things being equal, Barons go for about 30% more than a C310? Don't tell me it is all about quality--I know that does contribute to the equation. Bottom line, give me $250,000 and I can find a late 1970s creampuff KI turbo C310 that will give me 180 KTAS at altitude. Truly, it looks like I'd need about $300,000 to match it with a Baron (with less room!).

If I ever were to take out a mortgage on one of these things (with three other partners, at least!), I'd want to be quite clear why one beats the other!

Last edited:
The workmanship, fit and finish on the C-twins is just a lot poorer than on the B-twins. But never mind. The price of the B-twins is about to take a trashing when FAA figures out what to do with the cracking carry-throughts. Just like the outboard spar at station 48 on Cessnas (the 400 series spar AD).

Sigh.

Ben:

People are voting with their wallets; it's that simple. Look at a Cessna 210 v. an A-36 Bonanza. Same relationship; the Cessna sells for less. Look at the engineering, quality of parts, number of ADs and advisory circulars. Have you see the new AD on "new" C-172s? Miss fitting parts that can cause a loss of control. Kind of like comparing a Chevrolet to a BMW. Some folks to like the Chevy. Most will pay more for the Beemer. It's not that the Cessna is bad, the Bo is just different.

As for the spar ADs, with our aging fleet of planes, the FAA is using the T-34 as the canary in the coal mine. It will affect a lot of aircraft. If it affects the Beechcraft, you can bet it will apply to planes by other manufactures of the same vintage.

Best,

Dave
A-36TN ADS

Oh, man--time for bed. Look at the title of the post! I meant to entitle it "Baron vs. C310." Duh.

Re: Baron vs. C310

wangmyers said:
Why is it that all things being equal, Barons go for about 30% more than a C310? Don't tell me it is all about quality--I know that does contribute to the equation. Bottom line, give me $250,000 and I can find a late 1970s creampuff KI turbo C310 that will give me 180 KTAS at altitude. Truly, it looks like I'd need about $300,000 to match it with a Baron (with less room!).

If I ever were to take out a mortgage on one of these things (with three other partners, at least!), I'd want to be quite clear why one beats the other!

Do an annual on both planes and really get into them, and you'll know why, the quality of construction. That and the difference in maintenance and operating costs. The 310 is a hog while the Baron (excluding the P Baron of 56 TC which are a hog farm) is just a piglet. That plus the Baron is a much nicer flying airplane.

Back