Barometric pressure records?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Just heard the tail end of the local news this morning and the weather guy said the KC area might be in for a record barometric pressure within the next 24 hrs. I was assuming he meant high pressure, but I just caught the end of his broadcast.

Currently we are sitting at 30.65.

I haven't kept any kind of personal records, so I don't know the highest or lowest I've ever experienced.

The highest adjusted-to-sea level barometric pressure ever recorded on Earth (above 750 meters) was 1,085.7 hectopascals (32.06*inHg) measured in Tosontsengel, Mongolia on 19 December 2001.[7] The highest adjusted-to-sea level barometric pressure ever recorded (below 750 meters) was at Agata, Evenhiyskiy, Russia [66°53’N, 93°28’E, elevation: 261*m (856.3*ft)] on 31 December 1968 of 1,083.3 hectopascals (31.99*inHg).[8] The discrimination is due to the problematic assumptions (assuming a standard lapse rate) associated with reduction of sea level from high elevations.[7] The lowest non-tornadic atmospheric pressure ever measured was 870 hPa (25.69*inHg), set on 12 October 1979, during Typhoon Tip in the western Pacific Ocean. The measurement was based on an instrumental observation made from a reconnaissance aircraft.[9] The normal high barometric pressure at the Dead Sea, as measured by a standard mercury manometer and blood gas analyzer, was found to be 799 mmHg (1065 hPa).[10]

Personally I have seen 31" - 28". It is interesting once to start watching it.

The fun part is hopping into the plane and looking at the altimeter reading before adjusting for the current pressure. Depending on when the last time the plane was flown and what the pressure was then vs now, it's an interesting lesson in pressure altitudes.

Learned that lesson myself the other day. Preflighted the aircraft, adjusted the altimeter, taxied over to fuel. By the time my CFI had done his 30 minute ground school session and we fired the plane back up, the altimeter was reading 60' higher than field altitude.

I had a flight last week in LNK around 30.81 I think. Tristan could verify she was my FO that day.

I knew something was up before we even got ATIS because the altimeters were about 1000 feet lower than field elevation during preflight checks.

31.01 going into MKC today. Approach advised everyone to set their altimeters to 31.00 until on a published segment of an approach and then if you could, go to local altimeter setting. If you couldn't, you were actually higher than indicated so at least you were giving yourself extra cushion above the ground/terrain/big tall towers over downtown KC.

Out of 3 altimeters on board, only 1 could let us set something above 31.00 in the Kollsman window.

30.91 and -17C at KIXD right now.

DA is -3700 on a 1087' MSL field.

Back