Baring soul

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I am only writing this so others might learn from my mistake.

At least a year ago I joined a pilot’s group called Pilot’s ‘n Paws. I never took a flight as time always conspired against me or another pilot beat me to the punch. Then one day in late July 2012 I received an email asking me to do a flight from my home airport in NJ to the Richmond, Virginia and back. We were to rescue some puppies and the mother who were scheduled to be put down. I quickly accepted the flight request.

The day of the trip was an IFR day for sure. Mostly due to low clouds; most of them cantankerous looking cumulous clouds from 1200 feet to about 9000 feet with the occasional thunderstorm blundering about.

After a couple mechanical issues were ironed out, I flew to Richmond, VA from Lumberton, NJ with a pilot friend of mine, Rich. I took out the rear seat to make room for 7 puppies and their momma, Ellie; they were all to be in crates except the mother. After landing in Chesterfield County airport we were introduced to the family in distress. My favorite puppy was named Mocha. She was the sweetest animal of the bunch and we took an immediate liking to each other. She gave the sweetest hugs. I told everyone that I would most likely take her in.

It was really hot in general and especially in the plane. Rich and some of the airport crew were loading the puppies as I was paying for the fuel. I felt a lot of pressure to get in the air as fast as possible so the dogs would be comfortable. Two were in the rear most cargo area in a small crate while the rest were in a larger crate where the rear seat used to be. Momma was laying down just behind the front seats.

We were on an IFR flight plan and after take-off at about 500 feet my clearance stated that I had to make a left turn to 290 degrees, which I dutifully did. After I leveled the wings I heard a sound I didn’t recognize. I asked Rich to look in the back and see what it was. To my shock he told me that the rear cargo door was OPEN!! I immediately inquired where Mocha was! He said with concern, "In that rear crate!"

It immediately occurred to me that I just made a left turn to comply with my clearance! This airport had left traffic and I didn’t want to make any more left turns for fear of the crate sliding out. (yea I know, just make a perfect ball-in-the-center turn and no worries...screw that!) We began a right turn to go back to the runway. Rich was amazingly calm and kept repeating, "Everything's fine, just take your time and land the plane."

I asked Rich if he could see the crate. Tentatively he said, “Yea.”, but it was said in a manner that was not convincing.

I made the most careful right hand pattern I ever made and followed with a smooth touch down. As we were taxiing to the ramp I again asked Rich if he could see the crate. He had to admit that he never could see the crate…he just *said* he did to keep me calm, which was obviously the right thing to do. I thought I was going to die…I wanted to die!

He got out and walked around the tail and peered into the cargo area. He didn’t say a word! He just slowly and stoically closed the cargo door and latched it. I flashed back to my first meeting with Mocha and felt her front paws on either side of my neck as she laid her little head on my left shoulder. I felt her licking my face gently and without words clearly avowed, "I promise I will be your best friend for the rest of my life if you just let me go where ever you go." This innocent animal clearly trusted me and placed her faith and confidence in a fallible and imperfect human to protect her and keep her safe. Now she was betrayed by my stupidity and ineptitude.

I opened my door and yelled, “Are the dogs ok?!!” It took, it seemed, forever...then he turned toward me and proclaimed, “They’re fine. They're just sittin’ in the crate looking at me like, ‘Is there somethin’ the matter?’” and then he began to laugh. It was the most welcome and beautiful laugh I have ever witnessed. I immediately laughed too, put my head back and smiled toward heaven.

I never felt such relief in my whole life! I would never have forgiven myself if I lived to be a thousand. Fate had given me a second chance and unseated me from being the most despicable person on the planet.

Because it was so hot, all I could think about was how uncomfortable the puppies might get and I did *not* do my walk-around inspection! That was sooo stupid! I will never rush like that again. Also, I should have been there to over-see the loading of the airplane to completion.

When we landed at my home base at N14 there were about 15 people waiting for my flight to arrive. They cheered as we pulled up and continued clapping as we disembarked the lucky puppies. They had no idea how close their cheers could've turned to jeers followed by a stoning if fate were not the hunter.

The humans and animals played and frolicked on the grass, getting to know one another, and one by one the dogs went with their foster parents awaiting their forever homes. I was so glad to be a part of something so rewarding.

In the end, I didn’t take Mocha because she deserved a more competent guardian; I might foster her for a few weeks though and see how it goes.

Please learn from my experience, and not your own in this regard.

Gene

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. It is just a great reminder to take a few extra seconds and make sure the doors are latched and the aircraft is ready for flight.

Yikes. That was scary to read. Glad everything worked out and thanks for sharing the cautionary tale.

We all make mistakes, most never admit it. Your honesty may save lives in that someone here will read this and double check something.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but what the heck. It was only a dog. Placing two people in jeopardy to save a dog is foolish at best. Getting your pucker up in a airplane close to the ground is dangerous. Reminds me of the old saw about not dropping the airplane to pick up a pencil.

All that said, good job. Always a pain when someone's rushing the flight.

Monday morning quarterbacking here but...

Why aren't the crates strapped down properly in the baggage area?

Planning on bouncing the crate, pooch and all, off the roof in any unforecast turbulence?

Of course, the pooch would just bounce around the crate then, which only partially fixes the problem.

But... Crates strapped down properly aren't going to fall out the open door.

Just sayin'.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but what the heck. It was only a dog. Placing two people in jeopardy to save a dog is foolish at best. Getting your pucker up in a airplane close to the ground is dangerous. Reminds me of the old saw about not dropping the airplane to pick up a pencil.

I'm not the one to flame but there are so many people that would rather rescue dog/cats then people. It's what he was concerned about (apparantly not horrifically because he didn't do anything extreme to land) Good lesson to learn to be sure to keep priorities straight while flying...aviate, navigate, communicate, secure door before leaving the ground. :)

Sounds like he flew with caution and landed without incident. What's the problem? It's not like you'd want a dog crate tumbling onto someone's head.

Most of them open towards the front -- to where the wind holds it shut should it come loose.

Sounds like he flew with caution and landed without incident. What's the problem? It's not like you'd want a dog crate tumbling onto someone's head.

Most of them open towards the front -- to where the wind holds it shut should it come loose.

Jesse,

Thanks for the kind words.

About the baggage door: I fly a Cessna Cardinal RG. The baggage door opens straight up and not forward. That would have been less of a concern.

The door is spring loaded such that even the slightest movement in the closed/down direction will almost pull the door out of your hand and slam it shut. Why the prop blast didn't auto shut the door is a mystery. Also, I'm shocked that setting the flaps didn't close the door by the change in air flow. The trailing edge of the flaps at 30 degrees will actually hit the baggage door when open.

To the gentleman who stated, "it was only a dog.". That makes it clear you never raised a dog of your own from a puppy as best I can tell. They are not "dogs", they are family. Trust me, when all the chips are down and the wife or girlfriend or job are gone, your four-legged friend will be right there. Right up to either your last breath or theirs...guaranteed.

Gene

To the gentleman who stated, "it was only a dog.". That makes it clear you never raised a dog of your own from a puppy as best I can tell. They are not "dogs", they are family. Trust me, when all the chips are down and the wife or girlfriend or job are gone, your four-legged friend will be right there. Right up to either your last breath or theirs...guaranteed.

Gene

That was me, and they're dogs. I love dogs, got two of 'em. But they're dogs. Muslims think they're unclean and they're right. They sniff each others butts, lick themselves in interesting places we thankfully can't reach on ourselves, and eat their own offal if given the chance. They're dogs.

If you're going to do more of these rescue flights (good for you, seriously) you might keep that in mind. You did good this time, but distractions at critical phases of flight get folks dead. I love dogs, but I'm sure as hell not dying for one.

That was me, and they're dogs. I love dogs, got two of 'em. But they're dogs. Muslims think they're unclean and they're right. They sniff each others butts, lick themselves in interesting places we thankfully can't reach on ourselves, and eat their own offal if given the chance. They're dogs.

If you're going to do more of these rescue flights (good for you, seriously) you might keep that in mind. You did good this time, but distractions at critical phases of flight get folks dead. I love dogs, but I'm sure as hell not dying for one.
Where does it say that he did anything dangerous? Sure, leaving the door open was a mistake and a distraction but it happens. I think he handled it fine and he probably will not do it again.

Agree, nice job, and good work with the pups!

Where does it say that he did anything dangerous?
"We began a right turn to go back to the runway" Seems a little dangerous to me. Right turns when talking to ATC when EVERYONE else is expecting you to be turning left. But what do I know my certificate ink isn't quite dry yet.

"We began a right turn to go back to the runway" Seems a little dangerous to me. Right turns when talking to ATC when EVERYONE else is expecting you to be turning left. But what do I know my certificate ink isn't quite dry yet.
While a right turn was non-standard I don't see how it comes even close to being dangerous. After all, he was trying to keep something from falling out of the airplane.

While a right turn was non-standard I don't see how it comes even close to being dangerous. After all, he was trying to keep something from falling out of the airplane.
I'm okay with disagreeing with the masses. It's a dog. Yeah it'd be bad to have them fall out but it's better then doing something out of the norm.

I'm okay with disagreeing with the masses. It's a dog. Yeah it'd be bad to have them fall out but it's better then doing something out of the norm.
Doing something out of the norm is a far cry from being dangerous. Even if was just a box you don't want it falling out on who knows what. It sounds like the OP thought through his reasons for doing what he did and was in control the whole time.

Last edited:

If the standard traffic pattern is left hand then one should make right hand traffic. The stated reason was worry over a dog. I'm not making wrong-way traffic for a dog.

If the standard traffic pattern is left hand then one should make right hand traffic. The stated reason was worry over a dog. I'm not making wrong-way traffic for a dog.

What if the dog, and the crate fell on your head while you were watching planes land at the airport that day?

That would obviously be your choice. The OP made another choice. Just because he didn't choose the same thing as you would doesn't make his choice "dangerous".

What if while worrying so much about the dog the OP stalled and spun the plane?

That would obviously be your choice. The OP made another choice. Just because he didn't choose the same thing as you would doesn't make his choice "dangerous".

Sure is. If someone is simultaneously in the appropriate left hand pattern, they could come face to face on base or final. You want to be where other aircraft are likely to be looking for you, or they may not see you at all.

The only reason the OP didn't transition into a left hand pattern was a dog. Not an open door, a dog. I love rescue flights, and were I an IFR pilot I would be doing them. I love dogs. But like I said, I am not placing myself or anyone else in jeopardy for one, not even my own beloved pets.

I'm still not getting what you're saying. Show no concern for an animal because it might be a distraction?

I didn't take anything dangerous or unsafe about what the pilot did here - he turned and landed, consistent with not risking anything coming out his baggage door. Frankly, I'd be much more concerned about someone who wasn't concerned for the animals.

I'm still not getting what you're saying. Show no concern for an animal because it might be a distraction?

In a critical phase of flight, absolutely. Or do you not enforce sterile cockpit during takeoff and landing?

Great job of doing the safe thing and not endangering yourself or others while saving the dogs.

If it required some extreme measures to land without endangering the "cargo", I am sure the "cargo" would have been sacrificed.

Cheers

Sure is. If someone is simultaneously in the appropriate left hand pattern, they could come face to face on base or final. You want to be where other aircraft are likely to be looking for you, or they may not see you at all.

The only reason the OP didn't transition into a left hand pattern was a dog. Not an open door, a dog. I love rescue flights, and were I an IFR pilot I would be doing them. I love dogs. But like I said, I am not placing myself or anyone else in jeopardy for one, not even my own beloved pets.
Like I said, your decision. He had an abnormal situation and made the best of it even if it's different from what you would have done.

I think he did the right thing. I'd call emergency and make certain everyone knew I was coming in and from where. I'd never forgive myself if a pet fell out of an airplane.

Regardless of the motivation, I think the OP handled the situation very well. The baggage door on a Cardinal RG is on the left side, so much less likely for a box to fall out in a right turn. I'd announce what I was doing on the CTAF (assuming an uncontrolled field), maneuver as needed to keep the crate in the plane, and land. The OP did fine IMO.

BTW, double-checking that the baggage door is locked is one of my last walkaround items just before starting the engine. My door definitely springs open past a certain point, not closed, and I have a box with some odds and ends and a couple of quarts of oil just inside.

Thank you for posting this. I am very forgetful and my CFI taught me that I should always do a final walk around. I'll admit, though, that until I read your story - it was only to check the fuel caps were on and the chocks removed. I don't check the doors until runup and I've never checked the baggage door. In the 150 there is no door, but in the 172 there's a door. From now on I'll add that to my final walk around.

Well I see everyone's point, but I was there monitoring the whole situation and I was on the CTAF. I had not contacted Departure yet. The pattern was empty, the radio was quiet, I had no visual traffic in sight and lastly I announced the right hand pattern due to a distress situation.

As PIC I am the final authority as to the operation of my aircraft. It was an informed, careful judgement call. It was the correct one IMO based on the facts I knew at the time.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, but without being smug, I was the only one there with the current data.

Gene

In a critical phase of flight, absolutely. Or do you not enforce sterile cockpit during takeoff and landing?

Sterile cockpit has nothing to do with this and you know it.

If you're fishing for a*****e points, you got them.

Nice job Gene.

Agree. I just can't see any reason to fault the OP for the decisions he made. It's going to be far safer to make right traffic then it is to make left traffic if you think there is a risk of losing an entire crate with a dog out of your airplane. That would no doubt KILL SOMEONE if it hit them.

I love my dog and I owe it to him to be able to do right traffic instead of left traffic if that is what it will take to save his life. If I am not able to do that safely as a pilot then I should hang up my wings. It's not a difficult task.

Great story OP. I'll never forget a good pilot friend used to call his final walk around the "Am I doing anything stupid?" walk. I've caught a tail tie down & a step ladder. Both would have been embarrassing situations. Always a good idea.

I had some conversations with Vietnam vet FAC pilots who said they felt remorse strafing a herd of oxen used by the vietcong to move supplies through the jungle, but not feeling remorse for strafing the viet cong. The reasoning seems to be cemented in the psychological trigger that some animals are not motivated to harm you in normal circumstances, whereas human beings would be much more adept to snuffing your life out much more readily. This gives some insight into why one would feel more empathy for an animal, particularly a domesticated one, versus a human stranger, particularly one who has trespassed against your life.

Life is grey. I thought the course of action was sensible and congruent with a modicum of human sensibility. People endanger other people's lives gratuitously every single day, to pick on this scenario is a little gratuitous in it of itself to be frank.

Great story OP. I'll never forget a good pilot friend used to call his final walk around the "Am I doing anything stupid?" walk. I've caught a tail tie down & a step ladder. Both would have been embarrassing situations. Always a good idea.

I like that saying. John King would say, "At least check to see if it got hit by a truck!"

Which isn't so far fetched. Think about it...we got our share young kids in their late teens and early twenties driving around airports in large noisey fuel trucks getting really close to airplanes and helicopters. If they struck the horizontal stabilator or tail, I bet you there are more than a few who would pretend it never happened. Considering the weight difference b/w an a/c and a fuel truck and the noise they make, there is a percentage of the rest that might note notice the bump. I would not want to get off the ground with a bent stab.

A similar situation happened to me, but the fuel boy broke my pilot-side window with the ladder while fueling without me present. He never said a word and the next time I came up to the airplane I was presented with the carnage.

I called the FBO and spoke to him and he denied doing it. Now mind you, I just saw the plane two hours earlier, it was in a locked hangar, the only two keys are held by me and the FBO and the door was locked when I returned. It didn't take Dick Tracy to round up the usual suspects. The FBO paid for a new window, but to this day he denies doing it. Soooo, I guess the moral of the story remains...DO YOUR WALK AROUND INSPECTION!

Well I see everyone's point, but I was there monitoring the whole situation and I was on the CTAF. I had not contacted Departure yet. The pattern was empty, the radio was quiet, I had no visual traffic in sight and lastly I announced the right hand pattern due to a distress situation.

As PIC I am the final authority as to the operation of my aircraft. It was an informed, careful judgement call. It was the correct one IMO based on the facts I knew at the time.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, but without being smug, I was the only one there with the current data.

Gene

Good job Gene! You're PIC, made the call and got back on the ground, crew and pax's safe.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back